What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drugs use and criminal influence in Australian sport

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
The chorus of doubt grows over this federal governments role in this mess.

Clare and Lundy used the report as a platform to lecture-at-large about the unspecified involvement of organised crime and the undocumented prevalence of illegal drugs in unnamed sporting organisations. Initially, Clare declared ''the findings are shocking and they'll disgust Australian sports fans''. In fact, the ACC did not make specific findings and its conclusion is vague - even if it does contain an attention-grabbing reference to disgraced drug cheat Lance Armstrong.
Then Lundy proclaimed a threat: ''For those that wish to ruin the games that we love, the government has a simple message; if you want to cheat we will catch you, if you want to fix a match we will catch you.'' There is virtually no evidence of match fixing in Australia. In any event, the role of government is to make laws. It is up to police to catch alleged law breakers, not politicians.
By Sunday, Clare moved into hands-up mode. Appearing on Insiders, his message was simple. And repetitive. The Justice Minister appealed to guilty individuals and organisations to give themselves up. Early in the interview, Clare conceded the ACC ''can't identify persons or organisations that it has criminal intelligence on''. And he added that ''those people and those organisations can put their own hand up''. He used the ''put their hand up'' phrase on five additional occasions.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/polit...-sport-case-20130211-2e8tw.html#ixzz2KbTUXZFn

Sharkman

Juniors
^^^ Fairfax with an opinion piece that makes sense and chips labour? world must be ending!

Nothing but a politically motivated stunt that has served to tarnish all elite athletes across any sport.

It just kills me to have us front and centre of the speculation-has to be crueling us commercially.

I'm glad we're not commenting, up yours everyone!

Windy70

Juniors
Now clubs have started to be named or are stepping forward. How long do you guys think it will be before we see players named or stepping forward? Some reports say days, others weeks and one I read said it would be months.

So what would you guys see as a realistic time frame?

carcharias

Immortal
I have no idea what the f**k is going on.

I was having a bit of alternative ( scenar ) treatment yesterday and the quack told me it will boost my peptides or some shit.

I told him to hurry up and top shelf me then.

PHaTMaN

Juniors
Step forward?

Why on earth would any player step forward?

f**k this report is a load of garbage, comparing it with Lance Armstrong? Sensationalise much?

Poss

Juniors
Canberra, Cowboys, Newcastle and Penrith have all confirmed.
Sharks and Manly are yet to confirm.
So many rumours going around about our players. I am copping text messages left right and centre from all my non Sharks supporting mates. Pain in the arse!

Cronulla, who have been linked with former Essendon sports scientist Stephen Dank, also confirmed on Tuesday they were in the report.

"As previously stated the Sharks will continue to provide full support to ASADA and the NRL in their ongoing investigations," the club said in a statement.

"At this point in time the Sharks will not be making any further comment but will endeavour to keep sponsors, members and fans informed of any developments where possible."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...r-spotlight-20130211-2e97j.html#ixzz2KdMKbpwU

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
This is f**king shithouse
Its shithouse RCB but we have nothing to worry about.
Its shithouse because this is a political manouvre that is directly impacting any sponsorship talks at present. Whilst Idont think it will affect what is happening in our sponsorship, it will affect things like the announcement etc etc. which are all done to maximise positive exposure.
With this cloud of baseless negativity that LAbor has thrown over all Australian Support & I will paraphrase the coward minister
"Justice Minister Jason Clare said: "The findings are shocking and will disgust Australian sports fans.

"It's cheating, but it's worse than that. It's cheating with the help of criminals."
link

We'll see ey? the current government, which CLare said "will catch the criminals" (Julia & Lundy going to be doing raids now busting bikies?) had better catch some.

Last edited:

newman

First Grade
The rumours are incredible, but just remember they are only that, rumours.

No one it seems, including the authors of the report know what is going on specifically, so how would anyone else?

Remember to breathe!

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
I'll relax a little when the club can say "Been investigated, all clear".
What if some player has found out to be dropping eccies in the off season? Fringe first grader? Normally this will be dealt with in house & nobody knows. Our last immortal is a self admitted eccy user. Now becaue of this grandstanding by the ACC, if a minor issue like this comes up, it will ahve huge impacts on any club. Like I said, the only thing that will prevent this issue being nothing more than a cover up of the Obeid trial, will be the outing & prosecution of 5-10 permanent first grade NRL player, AFL players & the outing of a club that has direct links to programs using BANNED PHD's & the successful prosecution of directors managers coaches etc of those organisations.

Quigs

Immortal
The only thing that will prevent this issue being nothing more than a cover up of the Obeid trial and the shock resignation of the Pope.

dellul

Juniors
The Sharks can confirm they were informed late last night that they are one of the clubs referred to in the ACC report.
As previously stated the Sharks will continue to provide full support to ASADA and the NRL in their ongoing investigations.
At this point in time the Sharks will not be making any further comment but will endeavour to keep sponsors, members and fans informed of any developments where possible.

coolumsharkie

Referee
It's a f**king joke, they have got nothing. Otherwise they would have said something by now. "People have already come forward" = Oldest trick in the book.

Latest posts