What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DT - Calls to axe Prince

aussies1st

Staff member
WESTS icons have savaged off-contract Tigers captain Scott Prince for parading around Sydney with Gold Coast officials - calling on Tigers coach Tim Sheens to strip the star halfback of the club captaincy.

In a heavy-handed rebuke aimed at Prince opening negotiations with the Titans prior to the start of season 2006, retired league legends Les Boyd and Tom Raudonikis have branded the Tigers skipper "disloyal". The Saturday Daily Telegraph understands four-time premiership-winning coach Sheens will seriously consider dumping Prince as Tigers leader if he snubs Wests in favour of the Gold Coast.

"I wouldn't let him be captain, I don't even think he's that great a loss, my attitude would be let him go if he wants to go," Boyd said.

"It's not like he's irreplaceable, the bloke has only had one good year on the back of a great performance by his team.

"Realistically the Tigers have made his career so let him take off if he wants to, there's no point keeping someone if they don't want to be there.

"He's shown no loyalty to the club so I'd even look at dropping him from the team and throwing other halfbacks in to see who else is out there. Let him play A-grade."

Kangaroo tourist Prince held negotiations with Gold Coast officials at upmarket Sydney restaurant Kingsleys Steak and Crabhouse in Woolloomooloo last Wednesday.

The Titans have until next Tuesday to table a formal offer to the Tigers halfback, with Prince's manager Steve Robinson pushing for a five-year package with the Gold Coast franchise.

Wests football manager Warren McDonnell will meet Robinson on the same day to present a counter offer from the Tigers. Prince will then have until Friday to make a decision, although Robinson has indicated they may seek a one-week extension.

In a signal of the potential backlash surrounding a Prince decision to depart the Tigers, former Wests and NSW Origin coach Tom Raudonikis warned a switch to the Titans may breed "disharmony" at the premiers.

Raudonikis likened the situation to when retired international hooker Jim Serdaris signed with Manly mid-1995 before finishing the season in reserve grade for Wests.

"Prince has got a year to go right but if he does decide to leave and then his form drops, the coach has got a problem," Raudonikis said.

"If a few things start to go wrong and his mind seems likes it's elsewhere maybe the coach has to think about taking the captaincy off him.

"It looks like he's going to show no loyalty to Wests, which breeds disharmony and unrest.

"It happened when I was coaching in '95 and it leaked out that Jim Serdaris had signed with Manly.

"His mind seemed like it was focused on other things and I had to drop him to reserve grade because he was no use to me."

Wests chief executive Steve Noyce suggested the Tigers were aware of the potential unrest the Prince saga may create.

But the Tigers supremo cited the Melbourne Storm-Manly imbroglio with Matt Orford last season as an example of why the premiers decided to resolve the issue before the season.

"Clearly it's a little bit unusual that your captain is involved in discussions with other clubs before the season," Noyce said.

"But given the situation we thought this was the best way to handle it and try and lay all our cards on the table before the start of the season."

Retired Balmain and Test front row icon Steve Roach was another Tigers legend dumbfounded at Prince's anticipated defection to the Titans.

"I can't believe these blokes looking to make hasty decisions about switching clubs after you've just won a premiership and you could become an icon in the Wests Tigers area," Roach said.

"What do these blokes want? If the game these days is just all about money then leave me out."

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18261646-23214,00.html

He should definitely lose his captaincy as the Tigers should look forward to the future. No point in wasting another year with Prince as captain if he is leaving.

Scott Prince is overated and is carried by a good forward pack...let him take his ego to another club and Tigers would be better off for it.

i think everyone seems to forget that scott prince was the best player for the tigers last year and is the captain, hed be a huge loss and the way these idiot "legends" are carrying on, its obviously now going to cause some harm to the wests tigers challenge for 2006 of retaining the title, which is what prince was trying to avoid by fielding offers early in the year. i dont see why everyone is getting so cut at him, people change clubs all the time and his wife wants to move closer to their family.

Kid

Juniors
pennywisealfie said:
i think everyone seems to forget that scott prince was the best player for the tigers last year and is the captain, hed be a huge loss .
Best player.....no. He was good no doubt, but Hodgo was our best in my opinion. As for most dangerous, well Prince didn't get that either, Marshall by the length of the Aussie east coast.

Bench
I agree with the Raiders supporter,if he signs with the Titans he should not be captain,and depending on form not in the team either.
There is something about halfbacks that won't allow them to sign a contract without all the drama of a soap opera.
Just sign with the bloody Titans and go Scott,you were great for us last year but we don't need this media circus.
Just look at how Benji handled his negotiations,cheese and chalk Scotty old son.

balmainbenny

Juniors
I think Prince should lose his captaincy anyway, regardless of wether he signs on. We have been blessed with good blokes as captains, but Prince is not one of them.

paulquinn49

Bench
Dang sounds like Wests Tigers fans have already sent him packing to GC, even if he signs he will be one of the best players you have this year, and in the history of the Wests Tigers.

People like you are making his decision easier by the minute.

balmainbenny

Juniors
It is pretty bloody obvious that he wants to go. If he sorts it out before kickoff, I can forgive him, provided that he loses the captaincy.

paulquinn49

Bench
Even if he signs with another club I dont see another reason to bring negativity to a successful club, one that has a shot at the title anyway. By striping him of his captaincy for the simple fact he wanted to move elsewhere will only bring down the team morale.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
no excuse for wearing a Tits jersey around town,

thats not the right behaviour for a club captain

Dakink

Bench
Good way to drive him away. What these old timers are doing is creating bad blood and giving prince a reason to leave. The club gave him permission to negotioate - their was nothing behind closed doors, yet they whinge at Prince? Would they rather he do it clandestinally behind closed doors and then announce it come when the anti-tampering deadline has passed? I think this way is much better - get it sorted before the season starts and then concentrate on the footy.

Why make him captain if he is talking to other clubs...at least give it to a player who is going to stay with the club for a few years.

daslacker

Juniors
pennywisealfie said:
i think everyone seems to forget that scott prince was the best player for the tigers last year

No way buddy.Hodgo has been our best since the day he signed.

As for the prince saga.If he leaves,so be it and goodluck to him.Thanks
for playing a part in our first premiership.I don't think changes sould be
made until his contract expires,unless his standards on the field drop
drastically.

I'm really just getting sick of all the media attention prince's signature
is getting.

Dakink

Bench
And all of that media attention has been brought about by old Tigers legends opening their mouths and jamming their feet in their. If they had of kept them shut they would stand a much greater chance of not only keeping Prince, but maintaining club morale. All players, fans and club officials knew Prince was talking to the Titans so I am left wondering how that is helping their cuase by publically criticising him..

ahh this sux finally we win a premiership and hope we have a team that could win lots more than we lose our captain i dont think there are many good halfs on the market either :(

gregstar

Referee
joel caine number 1 fan said:
ahh this sux finally we win a premiership and hope we have a team that could win lots more than we lose our captain i dont think there are many good halfs on the market either :(
if you keep benji, you don't need an outstanding half - just a competent one.

Latest posts