What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DT: Cheating Storm scum

LESStar58

Referee
I think Dennis Fitgerald is just fishing now by making these comments.

Tumultuous history? Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't his players out biting women in night clubs (Hayne) and having grog bands put on them as a result of bad behaviour (next Peter Sterling) recently. Oh and lets not forget NPS and Piggy showing p maggoted at traing and being sent home. None of that rubbish would be tolerated by Strom administaration and least of all Waldron!

Yes, Fitzys a dumbass and I don't like him but he's getting a tad depserate if he has to resort to it two days running. If theres anything in the paper tomorrow it'll be diabolical. From memory he didn't resort to such tactics prior to the OP qualifier last season.

Just a question: the field at OP.... is it the "minimum" in goal and width because of the running track around it? because to be honest any club can have the "minimum" dimensions prescribed by the governing body if they wish. If it's within the rules and specifications that the NRL set down how is it "cheating"? unless the NRL makes an exception for the running track around OP.

And furthermore, I heard that Brian Waldron was on Fox Sports News last nite and that this field size drama is just an excuse for some free publicity cos he knew Fitzy would spray his shorts over it. Thats if Waldron is to be believed.

The things we do, huh? ;-)

All the comments and all they hype, including the field dimensions, sound like a tongue-in-cheek beat up that both Fitzy and Waldron enjoy playing up to.

Reading between the lines of various interviews I have heard and seen, it would appear that the two enjoy getting into pissing matches whenever they can.

It wouldn't surprise me if at CEO conferences, they act like best drinking buddies. It seems all very pantomimish in a blokey sort of way, how they enjoy scoring points over each other.

gong_eagle

First Grade
HEY STORM
0,,5660188,00.jpg

pepe

Juniors
i thought parra would prefer a smaller field to restrict the likes of inglis and israel etc,anyway parra have upset us and they'll pay big time on sunday,it's gunna big ugly for the evil guys north of the border.

carn the might storm,go you good things.

pepe

LESStar58

Referee
eelavation said:
I hear the Herald sun measurements were inaccurate and Waldran admitted as much in a telephone conversation with Fitzy, who I might add actually get along really well and are both loving the publicity..

no doubt they'll be chuckling togther in a corporate box eating caviar and sipping on cab sav.

Fitzy called Waldron an "AFL blow in" in the Herald Sun today. Not exactly friendly... :sarcasm:

LESStar58

Referee
eelavation said:
Fitzy revealed on on 2UE just recently that he rang Waldran who admitted to him that they tried to pull a shifty...

yet Fitzy still gets kicked and bagged for expressing an opinion that many rugby league fans share but don't publically admit so as to not hurt the feelings of Storm fans.

f**king cheating bastards

So Fitzy was baited..... and he took a nibble.

Onya Brian! :clap:

pepe

Juniors
waldron has a sense of humour and so what if he is an afl blow in,ceo's jump from one code to another in sport these days.
dennis fitzgerald is a dinasaur,he's in the heart of rugby league territory and there crowds are nothing to write home about,instead of worrying about what the storm are doing he should concentrate on his club,that's what he's employed to do.

pepe

ps. storm by 40 plus

ShineDog

Juniors
Who cares..both teams play on the same field..if your not good enough thats your bad luck..hope Storm smash the Eels!

LESStar58

Referee
pepe said:
waldron has a sense of humour and so what if he is an afl blow in,ceo's jump from one code to another in sport these days.
dennis fitzgerald is a dinasaur,he's in the heart of rugby league territory and there crowds are nothing to write home about,instead of worrying about what the storm are doing he should concentrate on his club,that's what he's employed to do.

pepe

ps. storm by 40 plus

Exactly. You'll find Waldron was hired for his intimate working knowledge of the Melbourne "market" and it paid off in his 2nd season when he got s a record sponsorship deal (2nd or third richest in the NRL and on par with AFL clubs like Collingwood and Essendon in terms of sponsorship revenue) with our current 3 ajor partners (including Mortgage House who were St. Kilda sponsors when he ran them).

p.s Pepe, don't make otlandish predictions. I don't want the mock put on us! :crazy:

Stagger eel

Staff member
LESStar58 said:
Fitzy called Waldron an "AFL blow in" in the Herald Sun today. Not exactly friendly... :sarcasm:

what you don't understand is the comments are aimed people like you who easily fire up over nothing comments..

Waldran basically said that he thought Fitzy's great for the game, admitadly I nearly ran off the road but he did say it, maybe ring 2KY tomorrow and have the quote clarified if you don't believe me.

Dani

Immortal
The petty sh*t fights are getting embarrassing for the game tbh.

Today i am embarrassed and ashamed to be a Storm supporter. This whole situation is bullsh*t, joke or not.

Stagger eel

Staff member
LESStar58 said:
I think Dennis Fitgerald is just fishing now by making these comments.

Tumultuous history? Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't his players out biting women in night clubs (Hayne) and having grog bands put on them as a result of bad behaviour (next Peter Sterling) recently. Oh and lets not forget NPS and Piggy showing p maggoted at traing and being sent home. None of that rubbish would be tolerated by Strom administaration and least of all Waldron!

Yes, Fitzys a dumbass and I don't like him but he's getting a tad depserate if he has to resort to it two days running. If theres anything in the paper tomorrow it'll be diabolical. From memory he didn't resort to such tactics prior to the OP qualifier last season.

Just a question: the field at OP.... is it the "minimum" in goal and width because of the running track around it? because to be honest any club can have the "minimum" dimensions prescribed by the governing body if they wish. If it's within the rules and specifications that the NRL set down how is it "cheating"? unless the NRL makes an exception for the running track around OP.

And furthermore, I heard that Brian Waldron was on Fox Sports News last nite and that this field size drama is just an excuse for some free publicity cos he knew Fitzy would spray his shorts over it. Thats if Waldron is to be believed.

The things we do, huh? ;-)

so who were the 2 Melbourne players under investigation for sexual asult? or don't you want to go there???? oh and what about Rodney Howe the drug cheat, but hey that's ok it's the storm they get away with it and if you're blind and foolish enough to think that your club will always be free of off contreversy than you're a bigger fool than I thought you were.

Packy

Bench
Bit ironic considering Parramatta were the pioneers in regards to manipulating field sizes for their advantage.

Anyone else remember when Parra had ridiculously deep in goals for Peter Sterling to aim at when a catch on teh full in goal wasn't a 20 metre tap? I also remember when teh Sharks came and exposed the dimension and is was all very karmic.

I'm not saying that Melbourne are in the right, but let em play with their reduced field and watch karma f**k them up and Parra win.

Eelectrica

Referee
pantherz9103 said:
The Cowboys 'got away' with making the warriors wear black jerseys in 35 degrees. Perfectly legal but hardly charitable. What are the Storm supposed to be doing, help the Eels?
All we want is a regular sized playing field in line with NRL specifications. What's so wrong with that? :?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Dani said:
The petty sh*t fights are getting embarrassing for the game tbh.

Today i am embarrassed and ashamed to be a Storm supporter. This whole situation is bullsh*t, joke or not.

to be honest Dani, you shouldn't feel embarrassed at all, every club in the NRL does try to get that slight upper hand against the opposition and whether it's through gamesmanship or not it's common practise and make life intersting for the lead up to the game.

I have a problem with blokes like LEEster and Surundy who are dulluded enough to believe that their club a free of all that untoward behaviour and that clubs like ours are just the work of the devil...maybe people like Surundy and LEEster can join our players and officials at some regular BBQ's they have for the Ronald McDonald House for sick kids and see if they feel the same after that..;-)

LOL. If melboring get away with ignoring the regulations, the floodgates are open. Watch Brisbane erase touchlines so no opposition half can nab a 40/20. It will only be time before Canberra schedule a game on top of Parliament House, or the Knights a home game at Maitland Pool.

LESStar58

Referee
eelavation said:
so who were the 2 Melbourne players under investigation for sexual asult? or don't you want to go there????

No, actually.... I'm quite happy to go there.

Simple: a dark, dark episode for the club as well as the game in general. From memory, the club co-operated with police but the players were not named.

Meanwhile, across town at St.Kilda 2 players were named publically as facing charges of sexual assault. Brian Waldron was in charge of the club at that time. Think about it. Ribot/Stanton kept it quiet and Waldron named the players involved. I'm sure Waldron would have no problem doing the same again if any Storm players got into strife.... althoug they are on a pretty tight leash. Waldron weighed into the AFL drug debate last year by stating that he would "name, shame, sack and possibly sue" any Storm player found breaching the rules and regulations that would bring the club, and the brand, into disrepute.

Would I have a problem with it? No way. If Waldron saw fit to sack a player for his indiscresion, no matter how serious, I'd probably say he did the right thing by the club, and maybe by the player, by giving him the bullet. how else is the offender going to learn and what better way to set an example to teammates by saying "play up and this is what'll happen".

Isn't Next Peter Sterling, the club's great white hope, on his last warning for alochol related offenses? A star player isn't even immune from punishment and that is very applaudable.

I don't seem to have read ANY reports of Melbourne player misbehaviour in the last 2-3 seasons save for Michael Crocker and Ian Donnelly stepping in to help a bloke getting beaten up by a grop of blokes at the races. Donnelly ended up being hit in the eye with a bottle as he was getting in a taxi and the attackers fled. Now if you wanna call that misbehaviour then feel free but thats the only thing that raised a blip on the radar for me.

oh and what about Rodney Howe the drug cheat, but hey that's ok it's the storm they get away with it

Get away with it? He was suspended for 22-matches. How is that "getting away with it"? any other Storm players been done for performance enhancing drugs lately? Or ANY player at ANY club for that matter? Given the current climate in AFL regarding recreational drugs it would be a very stupid player to tamper with any sort of drug; recreational or performance enhancing.

Maybe we should remind other people of the names Robbie O'Davis and Wayne Richards but their former club isn't figuring in this years finals series now is it? ;-)

and if you're blind and foolish enough to think that your club will always be free of off contreversy than you're a bigger fool than I thought you were.

One: your opinion of me counts for very little. Foolish? Yeah, I know I am. What's your point. Throw stones, old salt; I'll just laugh at you.

Two: I don't think my club will ever be free from controversy. In fact i don't think ANY club would be. I do, however, have a better feeling about my club being free from controversy for the following reasons:

a) players are not well known to most members of the genral public. Most people in Melbourne would be happy to go out to a bar, get pissed and have a stoush with an AFL just for some cred. People in Sydney and Brisbane may be inclined to do the same thing with an NRL... didn't some very brave (or very stupid) soul call Willie Mason a "black lollipoper" and instead of Willie belting him his little brother went over instead. Storm players can go about their business without having to worry about someone trying them on for size.

b) Waldron and Bellamy would not tolerate player misbehaviour. They run a pretty tight ship and Waldron seems pretty hellbent on protecting the image and marketing "brand" of the club (see above comment about naming and shaming).

I don't want my club represented by louts, hooligans, drug takers, sex offenders and other misbehaviour that permeates all football codes. Same way as I don't want my preferred code of football having a reputation of being full of neanderthals, rapists and woman bashers as is te perception by most folks in Melbourne of our game.

As you were.

Latest posts