What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DT: Cheating Storm scum

LESStar58

Referee
eelavation said:
I have a problem with blokes like LEEster and Surundy who are dulluded enough to believe that their club a free of all that untoward behaviour and that clubs like ours are just the work of the devil...maybe people like Surundy and LEEster can join our players and officials at some regular BBQ's they have for the Ronald McDonald House for sick kids and see if they feel the same after that..;-)

Admirable, really admirable. Really just part of the job as a footballer who is supposed to be a role model. I really do applaud that.

But my problem isn't your players. I haven't hated a Parra player since Morrison left. My problem is the bleating of your CEO and from all reports a few of his own players are pretty sick of it as well.

Stagger eel

Staff member
yeah yeah!! seeing you got on your high horse about how your club management doesn't tollerate fools how does bringing up the Tim Smith and Mark Riddell saga any different??? both players hauled before managment fined and stood down for the next match and Fitzy demanded a report in his office from the football manager over that incident...

are you saying Fitzy tollerates with fools???

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
LESStar58 said:
I do, however, have a better feeling about my club being free from controversy for the following reasons:

a) players are not well known to most members of the genral public. Most people in Melbourne would be happy to go out to a bar, get pissed and have a stoush with an AFL just for some cred. People in Sydney and Brisbane may be inclined to do the same thing with an NRL... didn't some very brave (or very stupid) soul call Willie Mason a "black lollipoper" and instead of Willie belting him his little brother went over instead. Storm players can go about their business without having to worry about someone trying them on for size.
You twit.

All that means is that Storm players can get pissed and act like a fool and nobody knows because there isn't a camera up their nose.

Stagger eel

Staff member
LESStar58 said:
Admirable, really admirable. Really just part of the job as a footballer who is supposed to be a role model. I really do applaud that.

But my problem isn't your players. I haven't hated a Parra player since Morrison left. My problem is the bleating of your CEO and from all reports a few of his own players are pretty sick of it as well.

what?? for expressing an opinion?? what's wrong with that??

Cloud9

For all i care give them half of Australia. There'll be more room for Inglis and Cronk to run amok.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Cloud9 said:
For all i care give them half of Australia. There'll be more room for Inglis and Cronk to run amok.

yeah yeah whatever I'm sure you'll still beat us with oval being half the size too...

surely we wouldn't see Melbourne choke again ;-)

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Packy said:
Bit ironic considering Parramatta were the pioneers in regards to manipulating field sizes for their advantage.
Damn! I was hoping noone would remember this!

Anyone else remember when Parra had ridiculously deep in goals for Peter Sterling to aim at when a catch on teh full in goal wasn't a 20 metre tap?
Actually, that rule was changed after the 85 GF, and Parra Stadium didn't open until 86, so why they had big in-goals I'll never really understand.

I mean, Sterlo had the best kicking game so I would have thought he wouldn't care if the in-goals were smaller.

I also remember when teh Sharks came and exposed the dimension and is was all very karmic.
That it was. The next weekend we dived on a kick that would have won us the game with the old dimensions, and you could actually see the faded white line that had been rubbed out. Unfortunately, with the new dimensions the 'scorer' was a metre over the dead-ball line.

I'm not saying that Melbourne are in the right, but let em play with their reduced field and watch karma f**k them up and Parra win.
Nah, I'd rather see us score the winner by diving on a kick one metre from the dead-ball line on the proper size field. Now that would be good to see.

LESStar58

Referee
Well, apparently we have been through a "tumultuous" period of 10 years. Yeah, OK, maybe it has been but in what regard? If you wanna talk player misbehaviour its been pretty quiet on the Storm front over the last 2 seasons when compared to the Eels.

Obviously Fitzy doesn't suffer fools gladly but as you said...

and if you're blind and foolish enough to think that your club will always be free of off contreversy than you're a bigger fool than I thought you were.

If you read my initial repsonse to this I clearly state that we'll never be free from controversy but we are in a more fortunate position (due to being in Melbourne) of having a certain degree of anonymity with the public and the attitude of management is more a stringent one at Storm when compared to the Eels IMO. I mean, suing a player for bringing the club into disrepute? Why the hell would you put a foot wrong on one, let alone several, occassions if you were a player at any club with such a strict player code of conduct?

Jarred Hayne bit a woman, and given the NRLs blitz on trying to make the game more female friendly, I'd say thats a pretty "tmultuous" incident.

Oh and eelsta, tolerate has one "l", not 2.

LESStar58

Referee
B-Tron 3000 said:
You twit.

All that means is that Storm players can get pissed and act like a fool and nobody knows because there isn't a camera up their nose.

Maybe. Maybe not.

However, I'd hate to see the final wash-up for a Melbourne player if that was in fact the case and they did get found out.

LESStar58

Referee
eelavation said:
what?? for expressing an opinion?? what's wrong with that??

I've been using "tumultuous" but the word was in fact "turblent".

It really is an outrage but I'm not surprised given what has gone on down there in their turbulent 10-year history.

OK, so he's obviously talking about issues like crowds, the drug controversy, the skirt-man stunt, the Rodney howe mask stunt, the alleged sexual assault and so on.

But who is to say turbulence doesn't apply to things like, i don't know;
  • having one of the best playing rosters and having nothing to show for it
  • having a "supercoach" at the club that delivered nothing
  • spending millions of dollars on players with no results
  • choking in 2001
  • falling down in 3 or 4 preliminary finals
Thats pretty turblent wouldn't you say?

Can't go pointing the dirty end of the stick at one person or one club withot some of your own dirty laundry coming out in the wash and your short comings being pointed out.

Such is life.

Stagger eel

Staff member
LESStar58 said:
Well, apparently we have been through a "tumultuous" period of 10 years. Yeah, OK, maybe it has been but in what regard? If you wanna talk player misbehaviour its been pretty quiet on the Storm front over the last 2 seasons when compared to the Eels.

no..you started talking about it...

LESStar58

Referee
"you started it!" You started It!"

So kindergarten like. Jesus. :roll:

We have had a "turbulent" history according to DF and in many regards it has been but no more turbulent than other clubs.

Am I getting under your skin eele? ;-)

Stagger eel

Staff member
LESStar58 said:
"you started it!" You started It!"

So kindergarten like. Jesus. :roll:

We have had a "turbulent" history according to DF and in many regards it has been but no more turbulent than other clubs.

Am I getting under your skin eele? ;-)

nah not really..but obviously Fitzy got under yours ;-)

LESStar58

Referee
Seeing as everyone is so upset about the cheating Storm scum I'm gonna fuel the fire:

source: http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=288903

Eels boss unconvinced about Storm in NRL
By Steve Jancetic 18:32 AEST Tue Sep 18 2007

A sold out Telstra Dome will not be enough to convince Parramatta boss Denis Fitzgerald that Melbourne are worthy of being in the NRL.

Tensions between Sunday's preliminary finalists simmered with Fitzgerald still infuriated at Melbourne's attempted `rort' of having the grand final qualifier played on a confined field.

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron retaliated to the jibe by lightheartedly calling for his Eels rival to be spat on by 40,000 Storm fans.

Fitzgerald has been a very vocal anti-Melbourne campaigner over the years, believing the money being poured into the game in the Victorian capital was not reaping any rewards.

"The jury's out on whether rugby league is growing in Melbourne given the success they've had," Fitzgerald said.

"It's never been a question about how good they are on the field.

"What my thoughts have been there is whether they've been attracting any people at all from AFL.

"There's a lot of money that News Limited have put in it, that's their choice - millions and millions every year, so it's matter of whether rugby league is growing in Melbourne."

Asked if a sold out Telstra Dome on Sunday would change his mind, Fitzgerald said: "I don't think the one game will change my stance on the future of Melbourne."

"It's obviously a do or die game for both teams and I'm expecting it to be a good crowd."

Waldron said he might arrange a special welcoming committee for Fitzgerald on Sunday.

"This is our plan, we will pack it out with 40,000 people dressed in purple," Waldron told Sydney radio station 2KY.

"We will get Fitzy in a purple beanie and put him in the middle of the ground and spit on him together."
:lol: :lol:

Fitzgerald was irate on Monday when told the Storm had instructed Telstra Dome officials to mark out the field with the same dimensions as Olympic Park.

The Storm's home ground is more compact than other fields with the NRL granting them special allowances due to the running track that encompasses the playing surface.

The in-goals at Olympic Park are two metres shorter than the regulation eight metres while the field is six metres narrower.

Melbourne have lost only one game at `The Graveyard' over the last two years and are obviously comfortable in the surrounds, but Fitzgerald described their attempts to have the same dimensions on the much more spacious Telstra Dome as a rort.

"I'm very happy that we're playing on the international size field and it was a rort that the Melbourne Storm were trying to pull," Fitzgerald said.

"I was outraged and appalled by it, but probably not so surprised that Melbourne are doing that with Brian Waldron being a blow-in from AFL."

Waldron said the Storm were not trying to do anything untoward in replicating the Olympic Park dimension, claiming they were simply attempting to gain any advantage they could.

"What's dirty about it, all we said straight up we play it at Olympic Park and let's see if Telstra Dome can be the same size," Waldron said.

"We didn't hide it, we sent it through the NRL.

"At the end of the day it doesn't matter, we will sleep with the pillow that we are given.

"We would play them on the moon, we don't give a toss."

not sure if we'll get 40, 000 but still...

pepe

Juniors
eelavation,i don't think the storm choked last season,they just got some dreadful decisions from refs who were intent on a broncos victory at any cost.
now being a parra fan you have witnessed some rip snorters in your time,you are aware of them so i won't go into detail.

i really do think the storm will run riot this week,if it was in sydney it would be a close contest,i would have liked to see these two teams in the grand final,parra have certainly had the most difficult side of the draw in the finals series.

pepe

eelsta

Bench
LESStar58 said:

If you read my initial repsonse to this I clearly state that we'll never be free from controversy but we are in a more fortunate position (due to being in Melbourne) of having a certain degree of anonymity with the public and the attitude of management is more a stringent one at Storm when compared to the Eels IMO. I mean, suing a player for bringing the club into disrepute? Why the hell would you put a foot wrong on one, let alone several, occassions if you were a player at any club with such a strict player code of conduct?

Jarred Hayne bit a woman, and given the NRLs blitz on trying to make the game more female friendly, I'd say thats a pretty "tmultuous" incident.

Oh and eelsta, tolerate has one "l", not 2.

:? I havn't posted in this thread, but thanks for the spelling lesson:lol:

LESStar58 said:
But who is to say turbulence doesn't apply to things like, i don't know;
  • having one of the best playing rosters and having nothing to show for it
  • having a "supercoach" at the club that delivered nothing
  • spending millions of dollars on players with no results
  • choking in 2001
  • falling down in 3 or 4 preliminary finals

Not my argument between you two.

I think we were outplayed in 01 and didn't choke. We choked in 05 and am yet to see a worse incident to rival it.

Points 1, 2 and 3 to me are interesting however, as they could all be seen as central to our "supercoach".

All credit to Brian Smith for bringing us out of the doldrums, and also introducing real professionalism at the club.

But the guy is like anathema to premiership success - the more finals he lost, the bigger the monkey got, to the point where I don't think the poor guy will ever shake it off his back.

I liked Brian Smith and was sad to see him go, but by all accounts, including his own, our "choking" was down to him unable to shield the players from his own nervousness which rubbed off on them.

Hagan in 01 was the exact opposite - he appears to be a calming counter force to pressure.

F*ck I hope we win on the weekend. Storm have been the best team by a long shot all year.

Anything can happen on the day.

You got a free referee ride against us in the Qualifying Final last year with the deplorable denial of a benefit of the doubt try to Morrison (which incidentally was given about 3 times in the Tri-Nation series that followed).

Here's hoping Hagan is just the catalyst we need.

LESStar58

Referee
eelavation said:
nah not really..but obviously Fitzy got under yours ;-)

Yeah, maybe after one day and perhaps two. If it continues in the papers tomorrow it'll just be diabolical and just silly and I'll probably stop caring.

LESStar58

Referee
eelsta said:
:? I havn't posted in this thread, but thanks for the spelling lesson:lol:

Dagnabit.... too many of you lot with "eele" in the start of your usernames. Play on words. Very cute.

:lol:

Stagger eel

Staff member
LESStar58 said:
Yeah, maybe after one day and perhaps two. If it continues in the papers tomorrow it'll just be diabolical and just silly and I'll probably stop caring.

as long as he keeps getting phone calls from Journo's he'll continue his barrage because will keep buying it, the big bad world of commercial business can do that to people. ;-)

Latest posts