What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DT: Ens of Drama for Smith

Gronk

Staff member
End of drama for Smith

By David Riccio
November 11, 2006 12:00

PARRAMATTA halfback Tim Smith has vowed to put a drama-charged season behind him by accepting a leadership role at Parramatta next season.
A beefed-up Smith returned to pre-season training this week revealing his desire to distance himself from off-field controversy. "That's the end of all that stuff,'' Smith told The Sunday Telegraph.
"What's happened in the past stays in the past. I've moved on from all of that and I'm only thinking of how to have a big year for the Eels in 2007. We've lost a few experienced players and I'll be looked on to lead the boys around.''
Smith's drama-charged 2006 season included two separate incidents in a six-month period. In May, the 21-year-old and team-mate Mark Riddell missed an Eels recovery session because they were affected by alcohol. His latest misdemeanour, in June, involved a bar-room slanging match with Test cricketer Michael Clarke.
Smith's troubled year continued in July when a broken collarbone prevented him from playing any role in the Eels' charge to the finals, when they had nine straight victories. New Eels coach Michael Hagan said he had discussed fine-tuning Smith's game - both on and off the field.
"He's very keen to get back to the form that he showed and he probably didn't have that opportunity this year for a number of reasons,'' Hagan said. "He wants to be a dominant player and he's more than happy to accept the responsibility that goes with it.
"He's probably had a couple of years to get a feel of what's required to become a leader. With all the off-field stuff I'm sure he's well aware of the public's expectations of him also.''
Adding a further 3kg to his frame - he is just under 87kg - a rejuvenated Smith said he was confident of returning to the form that saw him crowned 2005 rookie of the year. "I'm feeling really good and just as excited about what's ahead,'' Smith said.
"We've lost a few players but there's a real confidence in the place about the players coming through. I think it can be a big year for us.'' Smith and former Roosters halfback Brett Finch will form a new-look halves pairing for the Eels. He claimed Finch would prove integral to his development and ability to steer the Eels to victory next season.
"It's too early to say how or if my game will change with Finch, but it's important we get a good combination,'' Smith said. "We have to get a few things sorted out on the training paddock first. Hopefully in these trial games coming up we can get a few combinations going.
"Being a halfback, you've got to be a leader on the field so I'll definitely be trying to do that. I expect Finchy to be helping me out with that as well.''

http://www.news.com.au/sundaytelegraph/story/0,22049,20740933-5006066,00.html

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
Lets hope Timmy has a huge 2007 ON the field.

If he plays well, as well as Finch, it will go along way to Parra having a great year

parra pete

Referee
Twizzle said:
we'll see

Exactly...Talk in cheap. He needs to display more courage on the paddock in my opinion. The basic skill is there I think he may be lacking in the ticker area. That's just my observation.

cardinal

Juniors
parra pete said:
Exactly...Talk in cheap. He needs to display more courage on the paddock in my opinion. The basic skill is there I think he may be lacking in the ticker area. That's just my observation.

Hmmm seems pete is covering himself already now Hagan has stated Tim as the num 1 half at the club. In all the past criticisim of Tim, pete has said he does not have the smarts or the skill level to make it, but now the basic skill is there but he is ''lacking ticker''. I think pete that you like other Tim critics are starting to realise Tim is set for another huge year and are starting to clutch at straws. Just my opinion.

cardinal said:
Hmmm seems pete is covering himself already now Hagan has stated Tim as the num 1 half at the club. In all the past criticisim of Tim, pete has said he does not have the smarts or the skill level to make it, but now the basic skill is there but he is ''lacking ticker''. I think pete that you like other Tim critics are starting to realise Tim is set for another huge year and are starting to clutch at straws. Just my opinion.

Good call mate. Pete is now changing tact. It's Tim's ticker that is the problem now. hmmmmmmmmmmm

Im glad Hagan rates Smith.

parra pete

Referee
cardinal said:

I have never said that he (Smith) doesn't have the skills.. I have said that his reluctance (translate that to mean 'fear') to run the ball is a factor that is holding him back.
True - I DO NOT rate the bloke as a first grade halfback at NRL level on what he produced in 2006. If he produces similiar form in 2007 he will disappear from the scene quick smart.
The huge following he has on this forum is based on HOPE rather than what he ACTUALLY displays. People are HOPING he is as good as what THEY think he is. It is not actually based on facts..
Hagan is stuck with Smith at this stage. I don't think it will be long before Brett Finch is moved into the No 7 spot..

Gronk

Staff member
The only thing standing between Tim Smith and a sensational year is his bung shoulder. Time will only tell if he can handle the pigs running at him like the last Manly game this year which put him out.

parra pete said:
I have never said that he (Smith) doesn't have the skills.. I have said that his reluctance (translate that to mean 'fear') to run the ball is a factor that is holding him back.
True - I DO NOT rate the bloke as a first grade halfback at NRL level on what he produced in 2006. If he produces similiar form in 2007 he will disappear from the scene quick smart.
The huge following he has on this forum is based on HOPE rather than what he ACTUALLY displays. People are HOPING he is as good as what THEY think he is. It is not actually based on facts..
Hagan is stuck with Smith at this stage. I don't think it will be long before Brett Finch is moved into the No 7 spot..

Pete I really respect your opinions and everyone is entitled too one. Hagan doesn't agree with, Taylor didn't agree with you, Brian Smith didn't agree with you. They all Picked Smith at halfback.

I'd like to ask you......So what I saw and what everyone saw in 05, Was that hope or was that fact?? Beacsue either way ..... be it hope or fact he was bloody brilliant.

Facts are, That you should read his stats AGAIN of what he did in 05.....old ground I know, but they are fact!!

cardinal

Juniors
parra pete said:

It is based on fact pete, 2005 the leading 1/2 in the nrl, he has proved he can play and now after a injury riddled and general year that was full of turmoil he has to show he can still cut it. Peter Sterling must of had no ticker either as he ran the ball as much as Tim does.I'd rather have a 1/2 like Tim who has great vision and ability to put players into holes and get him to work on his running game than Cooper Cronk who can run the ball but will never have great organising skills, in my opinion.

jayjayselmes

Juniors
cardinal said:

if he stars running the ball more he might go ok. But if not hes to predictable and he will be picked off very early and back in prems by round 5

jayjayselmes

Juniors
parra pete said:

Geez parra pete very well said, hit the spot perfectly

parra pete

Referee
cardinal said:
It is based on fact pete, 2005 the leading 1/2 in the nrl, he has proved he can play and now after a injury riddled and general year that was full of turmoil he has to show he can still cut it. Peter Sterling must of had no ticker either as he ran the ball as much as Tim does.I'd rather have a 1/2 like Tim who has great vision and ability to put players into holes and get him to work on his running game than Cooper Cronk who can run the ball but will never have great organising skills, in my opinion.

If that is the case, you must have watched a different Peter Sterling to me.
If you would rather have Tim Smith instead of Cooper Cronk you must be really smitten...and that's your entitlement.
Mate, 2005 form is a useful in 2007 as it was in 2006. You don't win games with what's in scrapbooks.

caylo

Bench
parra pete said:
If that is the case, you must have watched a different Peter Sterling to me.
If you would rather have Tim Smith instead of Cooper Cronk you must be really smitten...and that's your entitlement.
Mate, 2005 form is a useful in 2007 as it was in 2006. You don't win games with what's in scrapbooks.

on that theory, his 2006 is as relvent to 2007 as his 2005 form is to 2006. That also goes for cronk, john, thurston and every player in the comp. that means joey has two bad games ina row and everyone he is sh*t house...
pete timmy 2005 form shows he has skill, its proven fact. You cant argue that, he has it, he has to otherwise he could have never produced it.
Cronk i dont believe has proved he has skill, he has an excellent running game, ill judge his orgainising skills when hill isnt there. i think he may struggle next year.

caylo

Bench
i guess the difference between me and you pete is that ur fickle... i respected the fact that timmy didnt preform, but you just can't consider the fact that timmy is any good. If you realy hoped that timmy would prove himself, you wouldnt be so quick to bring up bad form in 2006... good while he played bad genrally, he did some good things, id take him over crock, over mullens, over carney he is the best young halfback around imo, and he has skills that not many players have. In top form his passing game and vision is comparable to joey, his kicking game is superb, and even last year was up there in percentage kicks finding open space. Cronk does not have such a great kicking game, he is luck that cam smith has a realy good one, timmy is the best option to lead parramatta next year, and anyone who wants finch at halfback, dont kid urself, he cant lead a team around the park

parra pete

Referee
I'd like to buy him at the value I place on him, and sell him for your assessment of him. I'd make a big quid....
And no, I'm not fickle, just practical. It's great to see life through rose coloured glasses but when you take them off, sometimes you get a big shock. Next time he plays, sit down and just watch him. How he reacts to things, where he hides himself in defence, where he is when someone needs to put their hand up. The options he takes. How many times he kicks the ball straight down the throat of a fullback...Don't take my word for it..Judge for yourself. Tape a game and watch it after the performance. Count how many times he runs the ball and how soon he passes it BEFORE he gets to the defensive line...
Finch has led NSW around the park in two SOO wins. Went very close to man of the match efforts in both games

Prodigal Eel

Juniors
imo cronk is a good player, but under our system (which is small and skillful fowards rather then meter eaters) he will fail!
The reason we need T.Smith is because in most games against top teams, our fowards dont really lay a platform for a halfback to use a running game, quick play of the balls result in dummy half runs and breaks on the wing...hence smith uses his passing, kicking and vision to great effect as he can pin point the gap and put a player through!....IMO if players like Cannings, Fui and Cayless can start playing like conventional fowards...tim will find the space he needs to use his running game.....which he does have (seen it many times in reserves) along with a great step!
If anyone can bring this part of his game along is hagan, who has worked with the best....something of grave difference to B.Smith who cant find a HB to play under his system!

Latest posts