What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DUGAN NEXT

giboz71

First Grade
Agreed that centre money or fullback money is irrelevant. Millward shouldn't have said that.

Because now, the offer on the table (which I'm guessing is around the 800k mark) is now being interpreted as "centre" money.

So Duges and his manager now have the argument he deserves more as he is currently playing FB. It's becoming a ridiculous situation to be honest.

800k is a fair offer for Duges and if it didn't have the label of centre money attached to it, we wouldn't be going around in circles like we are now.

Last edited:
Michael Gordon is a step backwards. We are on the brink of securing one of the most formidable spines in the competition if Millward can pull his head out of his ass and sign Dugan.
My comment is only valid if Dugan does NOT sign.
I think the clubs improved offer to Dugan is fair and on the mark.
The nonsense about what position he will play is just a red herring.
How many centres that you know are on 850K per season?
The point is that treading water just compromises the possibility of other re signings namely Mann, Lafai and Packer.

Saintsified

Bench
I agree, Tedesco has been in first grade since 2012, never played finals football, has shied away from being a leader of a young team to join an "established star" team. If he was a "superstar" he would of played finals by now, even if the tigers didn't have a good team. I reckon he is only "brilliant" and "magical" in the eyes of the commentators because he is the superstar of the tigers team. Put him in at the roosters, and you will see he won't be that good. To me, until you played finals footy, until you have won a grand final, and proved yourself week in and week out over the grind of NRL footy (not 3 games with 3 week gaps SOO), then you haven't proven nothing.
In my opinion, the game of rugby league is played by everyday people, the problem is the media hype up the people they want to label "superstars". There is no doubt some players are good, but they are not "superstars" or worth $1 mil a season. Tedesco is worth nowhere near a $1 mil. He has been out for 2 full seasons since 2012 with knee reco's, you think he's knees will hold up over the coming years? He is only in SOO team because the media hype him up. They hyped Latrell Mitchell up and he fell flat on his face and in NSW cup these days. As i said these people are normal people with families.
I respect Josh Dugan, and I respect the fact that he has come out and said he wants to stay at the dragons beyond this season. At least he didn't do a Brett Morris and hold up a "Dragons4life" poster and then dog us for the bulldogs...the salary cap is more than just fitting players in based on their worth, it is about putting a team together that senior management thinks can acheive the goal of winning the premiership...that is the main priority for the players.
These players have families they have to look after, sure we can look at the figures and say "WOW, i wish i was on that much a season, why doesn't he just sign", but you have to understand there is more to it than that, he has to think about providing the best possible future for his family, for his kids, and he has to be paid what he is worth, and he has to agree to that figure with the club. In the end if he is getting underpaid, then he won't be putting 100% in on the field, because it will play on his mind. The other week he said they are sorting out "chinks" in the contract and it should be done soon... a "chink" to me isn't about the money, it may be something else... we as fans are not privy to what the "chink" is... we all just speculate and we hear rumours and gossip and we make ourselves panic.
The club has been, in my eyes, transparent and forthcoming when giving updates on recruitment, they aren't going to come flat out and say this is why this person or other hasn't signed, but at least they give regular updates on the recruitment front, and update the fans weekly on the injured players and their return date.
I would like to hear more from Peter Doust, those interviews he did last year in regards to where the team is heading gave a great insight into the club's direction and future. They were great to watch and listen to.
Thanks for reading, that is my 2c worth. Have a good day
10/10

TomRedVRiver

Bench
If reports are correct and he's asking for 1mil a season, he needs to walk and try to find that elsewhere.

If he's not careful, this could end up like a Benji situation where he declines our fair offer and finds himself in a position where he has to take up any offer he can get.

SaintElroy

Juniors
Yep, all this fullback money, centre money is a load of crap, pay a bloke what he brings to the team. In this case 760-800k is fair for duges. Love the bloke but I don't think he is worth more than that. Pretty fair offer I think

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I would offer Dugan the 1 Million with a strict clause. Each game he misses you reduce his yearly amount by 50k. So the misses 5-6 games (Which is standard for him) that will work out that he will get 700-750k at the end of the year. Sounds about right to me. Have a minimum of 650k. If he misses more than 7 games he gets 650 which is still pretty high but to get a serious injury he should not lose a whole years income.

I can't believe he is having a sook about the club. If anything the club should be pi$$ed off at him and ask he pay back the couple of Mil Saints paid him when he had no club interested a few seasons ago which helped set up his life the ungrateful mug. He has no gratitude which is sad.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
So you genuinely believe that if Dugan tells management to shove it and seriously entertains outside offers he won't command more than $750k per season?

I have no idea what other clubs would offer him, but, as I said thats the market and that ultimately determines what he's worth.

We've set the market at supposedly 750k. Thats our bid on the product. If someone else pays more, then he's worth more. I don't have a genuine belief about it either way, but in my opinion, it seems around the right price.

watatank

Coach
Agreed that centre money or fullback money is irrelevant. Millward shouldn't have said that.

Because now, the offer on the table (which I'm guessing is around the 800k mark) is now being interpreted as "centre" money.

So Duges and his manager now have the argument he deserves more as he is currently playing FB. It's becoming a ridiculous situation to be honest.

800k is a fair offer for Duges and if it didn't have the label of centre money attached to it, we wouldn't be going around in circles like we are now.

It's not irrelevant, both parties are using the centre v fullback as a negotiation tool. Dugan wants a long term deal on top dollar. How else do you think Dugan and management was going to justify asking for more money? Why would Millward want to offer more money if he doesn't even think Dugan will be at fullback much longer? Of course the club wants to keep Dugan so they justify it this way. I think it was always going to be difficult to come to terms and this is the way it was going to go.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I have no idea what other clubs would offer him, but, as I said thats the market and that ultimately determines what he's worth.

We've set the market at supposedly 750k. Thats our bid on the product. If someone else pays more, then he's worth more. I don't have a genuine belief about it either way, but in my opinion, it seems around the right price.

Agreed. Hopefully we're prepared to pay him what he's worth otherwise we will lose him. Our recruitment/retention would continue to be a case of 1 step forwards, 2 steps backwards.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
No he doesn't but the club obviously thinks he will in the future, maybe sooner rather than later.

No the recruitment manager thinks that. The current coach certainly doesn't think so, and there's no suggestion any potential future coach would either.

watatank

Coach
No the recruitment manager thinks that. The current coach certainly doesn't think so, and there's no suggestion any potential future coach would either.

The current coach is off contract and he was talking about next year. What about the 2-3 years after that? There may be no indication a future coach he wouldn't play Dugan at fullback but there's also no indication that he wouldn't play him at centre. That's a lot of dollars to commit when we don't even know where he will play.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
The current coach is off contract and he was talking about next year. What about the 2-3 years after that? There may be no indication a future coach he wouldn't play Dugan at fullback but there's also no indication that he wouldn't play him at centre. That's a lot of dollars to commit when we don't even know where he will play.

We do know where he will play. He'll play fullback. At club level he is always a fullback.

If he stays he plays fullback. If he signs elsewhere it's to play fullback.

Everyone knows it, even Millward. The centre rhetoric is just a pathetic attempt to pay him less than he's worth.

Carlton

Juniors

This is what the real problem is, its not Dugan's fault the club can't decide on the makeup of the team. In Dugan's defence I can understand him being upset when Widdop has played poorly for a couple of years suddenly has half a dozen good games (was not high on the clubs radar) and receives a big contract ahead of Dugan being signed. Dugan during the preceding years has been one of the few passionate players in the squad busting his arse every week.

ALSGI

Bench
Let's hope the chinks they're sorting out are done quickly one way or another. I'm guessing the money's sorted but dugan wants more than 3 years given his age and that Widdop got 4 years.