What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dureau's Newcastle ambition on the table as negotiations loom

Serc

First Grade
Dureau's Newcastle ambition on the table as negotiations loom
BY ROBERT DILLON AND BRETT KEEBLE
08 May, 2010 04:00 AM

SCOTT Dureau's chances of re-signing with the Knights firmed after coach Rick Stone said yesterday Newcastle were close to tabling the young halfback an offer.
A free agent at season's end, Dureau's future was clouded after the Knights were linked to some high-profile playmakers at rival clubs, including North Queensland's Johnathan Thurston and Melbourne's Brett Finch.
But Newcastle have since turned their attention to their own off-contract halves, Dureau and Ben Rogers.
Rogers is weighing up a two-year contract extension.
Stone said he expected Newcastle would be in a position to make Dureau a concrete offer soon.
"We're sorting out Scotty with what value we think he's at and he'll possibly have an offer made to him shortly," he said.
"He's at the stage where he's somewhere between a second-string and a first-string [halfback] and that's probably where he's at with his money at the moment . . . I've spoken to Scotty and he's comfortable with where we're at.
"We've had some contact with his manager [David Riolo] this week and he's interested in seeing what we think we're going to do with Scotty.
"We're comfortable with the process we're going through."
Riolo is in England.
Dureau said he would listen to offers from Super League clubs but his preference was to sign again with Newcastle.
"You're always interested to see what other clubs have got to offer but I haven't spoken to him [Riolo] this week," Dureau said yesterday.
"I spoke to him a couple of weeks ago but I'm not sure what he's doing over there.
"My priority is to stay here. That's definitely number one."
The 23-year-old, who has played in 37 NRL games for the Knights since his debut in 2007, said his contractual negotiations were "not playing on my mind too much".
"I'd love to have it sorted out and know what's happening but that will come if I play good footy," he said. "So my focus is on playing footy and the contract will come."
Dureau, who was recalled at the expense of Rogers for last week's 30-22 win against Brisbane, felt his performance was patchy and he would aim to improve in tomorrow's clash with Gold Coast at EnergyAustralia Stadium.
Having been in and out of Newcastle's top side for three years, Dureau believes he is ready to strike a regular scrum-base combination with Jarrod Mullen.
"Hopefully I can stay injury-free and cement my spot for a while," he said.
"I've got my chance now and Stoney has put his confidence in me, so I just have to go out there and repay his faith."
Rogers, who will be rested tomorrow for the second successive game, said he was considering Newcastle's offer but was "still a bit up in the air" about whether to accept it.
The five-eighth has fielded expressions of interest from European rugby union.
"My first priority is obviously to stay here but I've still got to talk to my family about it," he said.
"It will be more likely early next week now but I'd like to get it done as soon as possible. I love the club and the town and it's just a matter of ticking off, crossing the t's and dotting the i's." Newcastle have several other first-grade regulars coming off contract, including Steve Simpson, Ben Cross, Adam MacDougall and Cooper Vuna.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...n-the-table-as-negotiations-loom/1824088.aspx

Being a Newcastle fan sometimes feels akin to sitting there and punching urself in the face...... A painful experience thats only ur fault........

Honestly if we sign Dodge And Scotty I am just going to cry.

chinorocks

Juniors
Surely it has to be one or the other or neither. Surely there not stupid enough to re-sign them both. For the record I would re-sign Dodge and let Scotty go.

roopy

Referee
Sounds like he will play for fringe money.
We have guys like Goerge Ndaira, Marvin Karawana, Keith Lulia, Shannon McDonnell etc on fringe money - is there anyone here who can honestly say that we don't get better value for money from Scotty than any of those guys - or all of them put together?

Most of us arent against us having him or Dodge here Roops, both are above average backups. But everyone except you is deadset against re-signing both.

Serious question mate, do you believe its a good idea having both here and why?

roopy

Referee
Most of us arent against us having him or Dodge here Roops, both are above average backups. But everyone except you is deadset against re-signing both.

Serious question mate, do you believe its a good idea having both here and why?
It's all about salary cap.
When we had Joey earning 500k we had to carry a few George Carmonts for 70k - and i'd say we got better value for money spent from georgey than we got from Joey.
If Scotty and Dodge will stay for 100k or less, we can sign a couple of 300 or 400k players.
There is a chance Scott Dureau might be the lowest paid player in of 25 man roster next year. If he is our worst player we will win the premiership, but there's no way he will be our worst.

perverse

Referee
150% agree with what roopy is saying. scotty (in particular) and dodge will both be on stuff all money if re-signed... and the only way thats a bad thing is if we dont sign someone to partner mullen in the halves. we don't have the full picture, yet... only what they are willing to tell us.

Serc

First Grade
x3

Still a little too much wrist slitting in here ladies and gents

Whats Doing

Bench
First of all, we need a quality half to partner Mullen and have either Dodge or Scotty as the back up. We don't need both irrespective how much coin their on.

Alex28

Coach
It is nothing to do with salary cap. It is more about admitting we can't get a top half here and settling for what we have.

What a surprise...Roopy, Perverse and Serc all happy Scotty is being re-signed. As long as we are loyal to the locals who gives a rats arse whether we win a premiership or not.

Another f***ing year of not having a settled halves pairing and no chance of winning a premiership. Why are we doing this to ourselves?

Serc

First Grade
In recent weeks, I've gained a little more understanding of how the cap works (for obvious reasons given the headlines)...which is why I'm not as raged as I otherwise would have been if I heard we were potentially re-signing both.

Keeping at least one of Rogers and Dureau for sub $100k is a smart play for the same reasons that the Storm will lose at least 1, and maybe even 2 of their big four by the end of the year. Its all about how each player in your top 25 earns a minimum amount, and keeping a good handful of players who are decent enough is a smart option.

All we need now is one or two big signings (which has been hinted at all year in the media) and we're looking much better. I'll happily get the pitchforks out and storm Knights HQ with you Alex if we get nothing out of this year...but until then, lets just wait and see what happens, especially with what we do with our extra cap space in 2010 to help us build a 2011 team.

Surely it has to be one or the other or neither. Surely there not stupid enough to re-sign them both. For the record I would re-sign Dodge and let Scotty go.

Agree. Very little value in having two back up halves, even on fringe coin.

Only difference is, I'd keep Scotty and punt Dodge.

It is nothing to do with salary cap. It is more about admitting we can't get a top half here and settling for what we have.

What a surprise...Roopy, Perverse and Serc all happy Scotty is being re-signed. As long as we are loyal to the locals who gives a rats arse whether we win a premiership or not.

Another f***ing year of not having a settled halves pairing and no chance of winning a premiership. Why are we doing this to ourselves?

Honestly don't think anyone said that (or anything like that) mate.

macavity

Referee
keep em both and punt mullo.... :sarcasm:

If we sign who I desperately want us to sign (Beau Henry), keeping scotty around is a smart move - he is a very smart footballer and would make a fantastic mentor - even if he is playing reggies and mentoring the firstgrader.

If we sign someone like Finch, no point keeping him around.

If we dont sign anyone, well someone has to play in the 7 don't they.

Latest posts