What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dykes to Sharks - This week

Hurriflatch

Referee
Found this at the end of the AAP story on Peachey staying at the Sharks for 2005.

Meanwhile, Rogers said the club was still talking with Parramatta and former Sharks pivot Adam Dykes who was waiting on a release from the Eels.

Rogers was hopeful of making an announcement on Dykes - who played for Cronulla from 1995-2001 before linking with the Eels - as early as this week.

yy_cheng

Coach
I think that the styles of Kimmorley and Dykes will clash as both players need to get their hands on the ball 80-90% of the time.

Adam Spadam

Juniors
Meanwhile, Rogers said the club was still talking with Parramatta and former Sharks pivot Adam Dykes who was waiting on a release from the Eels.

Rogers was hopeful of making an announcement on Dykes - who played for Cronulla from 1995-2001 before linking with the Eels - as early as this week.

:(
gee i hope not...I'd rather Dykes than Witt at this stage.

Misty Bee

First Grade
The worst news since I don't know when. We are losing our best attacker, and will be driven around by 2 sub par halfbacks YET AGAIN!

Cronulla will kill it next year.

I can't bel;ieve peoiple who bad Dykes and praise Witt. Witt has half the kicking game of Dykes. Witt can't read a game. Dykes can. Dykes has a long pass. Witt hasn't.

Adam Spadam

Juniors
I can't bel;ieve peoiple who bad Dykes and praise Witt. Witt has half the kicking game of Dykes. Witt can't read a game. Dykes can. Dykes has a long pass. Witt hasn't.

Exactly! onya misty... :clap:

Parraren

Bench
Does this mean we will be persisting with Thorman next year?

Doesn't sound like it's a done deal yet though. Still sounds like the deal is yet to be agreed/finalised but the Sharks are "hopeful".

If both Thorman & Dykes are released for next year expect to hear of a new half being signed for next year very soon. Who? I have no idea, but there is no way Smith will go into 2005 with Witt & Tim Smith as our only options for the number 7. I have a feeling Thorman will hang around for another year though...

Parraren

Bench
...btw, I think our record with Dykes this year is 6 wins & 7 losses. Without Dykes we are 1 win & 4 losses :?

Food for thought...

ParraMatt

Bench
I never said Dykes was shit, I like Dykes. But I am protecting Witt. He is at the club for a long time and I rate him aswell. Comparing is just stupid.

thedux

Juniors
It's actually 2 wins without Dykes but one didn't come until the final 36 seconds. The fact is that Witt doesn't have the experience and/or ability to win the games you expect, hence the result the other night. I'm not saying it is all Witt's fault but the good halfbacks have that moment of brilliance in them that can change a game; Witt ain't got it, Dykes has.

bartman

Immortal
Parraren said:
If both Thorman & Dykes are released for next year expect to hear of a new half being signed for next year very soon. Who? I have no idea, but there is no way Smith will go into 2005 with Witt & Tim Smith as our only options for the number 7. I have a feeling Thorman will hang around for another year though...

Smith has already been quoted (around the signing of Riddell) as saying that Morris will be playing five-eighth. Not sure where Thorman stands yet, that decision is due by 31 July.

Utey

Coach
Dykes all the way. Witt is only at Premier league level at this stage of his career. I wouldnt mind seeing him at 5/8. But as a half unless he produces form like we saw last year its goodbye.

Eels Dude

Coach
I also like the Morris Witt combination. Dykes is definately the most creative player we have but since he's come to the club he's probably played well for a third of the season, played really really crap for a third of the season, and missed a third of the season with injury. I reckon once we get our best side back playing well, and our new buys fit right in, then Witt and Morris will be playing with great confidence and do us proud.

Pazza

First Grade
What happens when Morris or Witt gets injuried?

options look thin at 5/8, half and Hooker if players hurt themselves.

PJ Marshal

Coach
Well if he goes he goes no use crying over it, he has been bagged more times than cheered around these parts anyways. Sure we very much need him but if he goes well we are just going to have to make do with the resources we got. In the past our back up halfback was Ben Kusto at least we dont got that f**ktard around any more

Hurriflatch

Referee
it wouldn't surprise me to see another halve signed up, but there isn't that much quality left on the market.

Holdsworth would bee good but like Witt, Green (Blake) and Tim Smith he is inexperienced, and it's debateable if he would really strengthen the side that much.

If Dykes and Thorman go and Holdsworth is signed then the halves will look something like

John Morris
Michael Witt
Tim Smith
Feleti Mateo
Daniel Holdsworth
Blake Green
Brett Delaney
James Webster - If still under contract or re-signed

And then a few fill in's

Luke O'Dwyer - Possibly could play 5/8
AShley Graham - Possibly could play 5/8
Luke Burt - Possibly could play 5/8
Daniel Wagon - Has played 5/8

Other then Wagon who would be playing out of position not a hell of a lot of experience in that line up.

Talent isn't the problem with the Eels halves next year it is expeirence but if a young halfback or 5/8 can get behind a forward pack going forward and have good players outside him to catch bombs, run into holes etc then they can get a lot of confidence and play very well case in point this year Matthew Head

BD5733

Juniors
Dykes may be better than Witt at the moment. Note: MAY BE

Someone said Witt doesn't have the experience to win games. Witt is the long term future of our club and he certainly isn't going to get this ' game winning experience' playing behind Dykes in Premier League.

Not many Roosters or Dragons fans were happy with new and young halves Brett Finch or Brett Firman guiding their sides, they turned out. We need to have faith that Witt is a good player, potentially much better than Dykes.

Someone also said Dykes has this 'match winning experience', he should've used it by now, whats he waiting for??

If you are still sticking solid to Dykes being much better than Witt, he definately isn't $250,000 better. In perspective, we have Witt and Riddell, rather than just Dykes with Witt in Premier League.

Hurriflatch

Referee
BD5733: Excatly

Young halves can work if the team around them perform but if the fowards are going backwards and teh backs are dropping balls then even Andrew Johns, Peter Sterling, Alan Langer, WAlly Lewis, Laurei Daley, Brad Fittler etc etc etcd will look bad

Latest posts