What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early tip: Sandow won't see out his contract

Tony Bongo

Bench
Sticky is just showing how important the strength of a squad is to a coach's results. Remember, this guy won a premiership. Or at least his team did.

People look at other coaches going to other clubs and having instant success, but you have to consider that these other coaches could choose where they went, and they obviously chose clubs already set up for future success.

Sticky's reputation was mud due to his time at Cronulla so he didn't have the options a coach like Hasler or Cleary or Bennett did. That's why he chased the money (and one last shot) at Parramatta.

We just need to be patient and stop sacking coaches as soon as the players quit on him. Let's replace the f**king players instead.

If they can be competitive in one game they can compete in every game. There's no excuse for conceding 40 points, especially after conceding 30 the week before.

I completely agree but the only way that will happen is if we have a board that stands by the coach regardless of the results and creates some stability for a change. This is where the last board failed the most IMO and I hope our new board stand by Stuart and help him stop the tail wagging the dog.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I completely agree but the only way that will happen is if we have a board that stands by the coach regardless of the results and creates some stability for a change. This is where the last board failed the most IMO and I hope our new board stand by Stuart and help him stop the tail wagging the dog.

Very good point. I too hope the current board care more about coaching stability than getting re-elected, but the problem with democracy has always been that it leads to rapid change for a quick fix.

Even when a quick fix is impossible it needs to be promised to the voters.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Keating was also responsible for missing a probable scoring opportunity in the first half.

I will have to watch it again to work out if the leaks started up the middle or out wide in the second half

They tore us to shreds out wide, but it was predominantly because they went up the middle first; our forwards took so long and so many men to make an effective tackle on one bloke, that gaps out wide were easily exploited by Idris, Gordon and Taikairangi.

Pazza

First Grade
Our team lacks genuine first graders, then take out Lussik, Allgood, Morgan and Tanginoa! Most games are an uphill battle for us with our strongest 17 let alone who took the field on sat.

lingard

Coach
Our team lacks genuine first graders, then take out Lussik, Allgood, Morgan and Tanginoa! Most games are an uphill battle for us with our strongest 17 let alone who took the field on sat.

Exactly. I think all of our young players would go really well in a team of established first graders, but they don't have that luxury at the moment. Who in our team would walk into most other first grade sides in the comp?
Hayne, Mannah, probably Sandow, Moi Moi and Morgan. Of those, only one is origin level.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Exactly. I think all of our young players would go really well in a team of established first graders, but they don't have that luxury at the moment. Who in our team would walk into most other first grade sides in the comp?
Hayne, Mannah, probably Sandow, Moi Moi and Morgan. Of those, only one is origin level.

Two - Mannah can count himself unlucky not to be playing for the Blues.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Two - Mannah can count himself unlucky not to be playing for the Blues.

Mannah's one of those guys - like about 50 NSW-eligible players - who will make the Origin team if his club side is paying well and miss out if they're not.

How many certain selections are there in the NSW side? Most of them are there because their teams have played well since last Origin.

Avenger

Immortal
Mannah's one of those guys - like about 50 NSW-eligible players - who will make the Origin team if his club side is paying well and miss out if they're not.

How many certain selections are there in the NSW side? Most of them are there because their teams have played well since last Origin.

Good point.

lingard

Coach
That's where I think he will end up. It just shits me with Sandow that every opposing team know to attack on his side or towards our inept wingers. This bullshit about our forwards being outmuscled has become a bit of an excuse. In the first half we matched them and if we had a better 7 we would have built pressure and been in front. However what happened is they targeted Sandow and our wingers in attack, we started to leak points we lost confidence and then started to leak points.

It all started when we failed to capitalize on good field position in the first half. That has nothing to do with our forwards. In the opposition 20 its up to our halves and they again failed miserably.

I tend to agree with this. You leak a try, concede the points, and then give the ball back to the opposition - which, in turn, puts more pressure on your defence. The ironic thing about Sandow is that all the brilliant things he does - the forty-twenties, the field goals, the darting runs, the off the cuff passes - are things that come naturally. Sure, you can practice some of them, but mostly you're either very gifted or you're not. But tackling is not one of those things. Tackling is an art that is relatively easy to learn. It's not rocket science. It's being shown a technique or copying a technique. I just don't get why he can't do it.

Etu Uaisele

Juniors

True , and also the reason we get beat every year. As Gordeeern Tallis said this morning Tim Grant would be the first Qlder picked after knocking fridganafreezer on his arse on debut . How can you build a dynasty when you keep picking the flavour of the month each year.

Eels Dude

Coach

You really think Sandow would walk into most other club's first grade sides at the moment? :crazy:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
True , and also the reason we get beat every year. As Gordeeern Tallis said this morning Tim Grant would be the first Qlder picked after knocking fridganafreezer on his arse on debut . How can you build a dynasty when you keep picking the flavour of the month each year.

Yeah that's right. And then merkins whinge about NSW not picking players on form. When have Queensland ever picked players based on their club form? They pick them on ability and are forgiving if they're having a bad season at club level.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You really think Sandow would walk into most other club's first grade sides at the moment? :crazy:

What does 'at the moment' have to do with anything? Poor form does not equal lack of ability.

Maloney was shite last year and the Roosters were still happy to sign him and now he's carving up in a strong team. Jennings was f**king ordinary last year as well.

Form is temporary, but it take long years to lose ability (or one bad injury).

Redback71

First Grade
bloody hell one thing im sick of is our club off loading our players who are the real deal. how long have we been after good halves yet we let them go. imagine our halves being hodkinson and maloney with mortimer at hooker or the no.14