What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Earth Hour - 7:30pm Sydney

Azkatro

First Grade
Nice idea, but hardly serious. One hour, once? Ever? What's the point? Why don't we do it every night for a month, and THEN see how much people get behind it?

Raider_69

Post Whore
Azkatro said:
Nice idea, but hardly serious. One hour, once? Ever? What's the point? Why don't we do it every night for a month, and THEN see how much people get behind it?

i can answer that3 people
the organiser, his mother and his dog
thats it

Bazal

Post Whore
Locky_Jr said:
I think Twiz hit the nail on the head

As I said, why not put that effort (and probably money) on doing some research into the matter, rather than wanking on about turning out the lights for one hour of one night....

Hallatia

Referee
Bazal said:
As I said, why not put that effort (and probably money) on doing some research into the matter, rather than wanking on about turning out the lights for one hour of one night....
I agree with you 100%
but the thing is people are idiots and at least this is something they can do

Bazal

Post Whore
Locky_Jr said:
I agree with you 100%
but the thing is people are idiots and at least this is something they can do

I think you underestimate people. They are easily lead, yes, but they are not idiots. They can look at two sides of a story and make a decision. The problem is people like the Greens deny there is two sides to this particular story, and have even lied to try and form peoples beliefs on the matter. For example, a major argument for global warming is th melting of the Arctic ice sheets. Fair enough, they are getting smaller...but do they mention that the Antarctic ice sheets are the largest and thickest we have recorded? No...Did you know that the majority of temperature data used to "prove" global warming is taken from major cities? The temperature data outside cities actually shows negligible change!

Like I said, global warming is a valid theory. But that's all it is. Scientific theories are based on the understanding that they can be disproven; a theory that can't be disproven is disregarded because it is flawed. Newtonian physics, for example, was accepted until the days of Einstein. Problem is Newtonian physics is wrong. Einsteins theory of relativity has been corrected several times because it was not quite right. Darwins theory of natural selection has been changed an amended over the years. People need to realise that global warming is not a fact...

Hallatia

Referee
by your logic nothing is a fact

but I do get you and that is why fizzix is so complicated

Bazal

Post Whore
Locky_Jr said:
by your logic nothing is a fact

but I do get you and that is why fizzix is so complicated

There are very few facts in science, purely because we are always making new discoveries that change the way we see things. Using Darwin as an example, he didn't know the mechanism by which traits are passed from generation to generation, and so while the ideas are sound, he actually was wrong in many ways. We discovered that when we discovered we could map a genome. Plenty of things are fact outside science, history or maths for example. But within science, we aren't looking at facts, we are looking at expanding knowledge. If you can't test and disprove a theory, it doesn't expand knowledge...

Hallatia

Referee
so you are saying that science is more about finding what is not true then finding ouit what is?

Bazal

Post Whore
That is a huge part of what science is, yes. But the ability to disprove a theory means that it is constantly changed and perfected as our ability to do so changes and evolves. So, in turn, our knowledge is changed and perfected. That is why a theory that cannot be disproved and modified is essentially void, because it's meaningless.

Bazal

Post Whore
Well, that's getting into the philosophy of science, something I dislike intensely. The point is that global warming, whilst being a perfectly valid theory, can and has been challenged. Whether or not that means it is right or wrong, we don't know. We can;t know because we haven't got the information. Which is why this Earth Hour thing is an exercise in futility...

Hallatia

Referee
I understand exactly where you are coming from and thankyou for explaining it to me like that, I actually learnt a few things:D

Bazal

Post Whore
Hehe, no worries...Uni is good for something other than having a bar on-site :lol:

Hallatia

Referee
Bazal said:
Hehe, no worries...Uni is good for something other than having a bar on-site :lol:
I could not have learnt that in uni, because unless I can thoroughly discuss something I will not learn it, it is part of my refusal to acept most things just because someone told me, I liked this earth hour idea because lights bother me as it is, everybody has something which really bothers them, for me it is lighjts being on for no reason

Bazal

Post Whore
That's why uni has tutorials...we use them for discussion and often have a lot of fun...

Hallatia

Referee
speaking of tutorials, I have one at 12 and should go get dressed

thanks Baz, you are a good teacher and an even better stalkee;-)

Bazal

Post Whore
Mr Angry said:
Yeah it is all media hype.

Better tell The UN and the G8
http://unfccc.int/2860.php

Better tell the USA
http://www.energy.gov/environment/climatechange.htm

Better tell the Australian Science Department
http://www.dar.csiro.au/impacts/future.html
http://www.cmar.csiro.au/e-print/open/CoastalBroch2002.pdf

They have all been sucked in by the daily telegraph.

:roll:

Bazal said:
The point is that global warming, whilst being a perfectly valid theory, can and has been challenged. Whether or not that means it is right or wrong, we don't know. We can;t know because we haven't got the information. Which is why this Earth Hour thing is an exercise in futility...

I hope you are old enough to remember global cooling :lol: