What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easts Tigers Enter Expansion Race

Diesel

Referee
Most people that watched the GF have complained about the ch9 coverage/commentators. This is how the NRL is advertising to new audiences on GF day. I can only imagine how much worse it would be for a round 25 Tigers v Bulldogs game. 9 needs to go

flippikat

Bench
Most people that watched the GF have complained about the ch9 coverage/commentators. This is how the NRL is advertising to new audiences on GF day. I can only imagine how much worse it would be for a round 25 Tigers v Bulldogs game. 9 needs to go
It's the lazy, sloppy, take-it-for-granted attitude of an incumbent that's had the rights for too long.

"We're the home of <sports name>" yeah?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Here's the thing though... some NRL clubs do manage to get blue chip sponsors. So they are willing to get on board, it's just that some clubs are not organised / well run enough to get them. So that is not a dots on a map footprint thing. The NRL has a very good geographical reach.
In the vast majority of cases sponsorship and advertising isn't just about advertising to the supporters of the team the sponsor supports but their oppositions fans as well. So you can make all the organisational and business changes you want, but if you aren't big with high exposure, and crucially your competition isn't big with high exposure, it'll make no difference.

It's all about eyeballs and market coverage, and the AFL has more of both.

There're only really two blue chip multinational brands that are currently major sponsors of NRL clubs, Kia and Vodafone. Meanwhile in the AFL the majority of the comp have blue chip multinational brands as their major partners. Why? Because they have a national audience across all major Australian markets and the NRL doesn't.

So you can say 'dots on a map' all you like, but in a lot of regards 'dots on a map' is a major commercial advantage.
My other point was that the most populous areas in the country are majority NRL territory and as the country's population grows and as time goes on, some of these will be major cities and no longer considered regional towns.
Outside of specific cases do you really think that the metro markets are going to stop growing enough that other cities will catch up? Because you'd effectively have to accept that to hold your position.

The current metro markets will almost certainly dominant the Australian market, especially when it comes to broadcasting and advertising, for the foreseeable future. It just is what it is.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
In the vast majority of cases sponsorship and advertising isn't just about advertising to the supporters of the team the sponsor supports but their oppositions fans as well. So you can make all the organisational and business changes you want, but if you aren't big with high exposure, and crucially your competition isn't big with high exposure, it'll make no difference.

It's all about eyeballs and market coverage, and the AFL has more of both.

There're only really two blue chip multinational brands that are currently major sponsors of NRL clubs, Kia and Vodafone. Meanwhile in the AFL the majority of the comp have blue chip multinational brands as their major partners. Why? Because they have a national audience across all major Australian markets and the NRL doesn't.

So you can say 'dots on a map' all you like, but in a lot of regards 'dots on a map' is a major commercial advantage.

Outside of specific cases do you really think that the metro markets are going to stop growing enough that other cities will catch up? Because you'd effectively have to accept that to hold your position.

The current metro markets will almost certainly dominant the Australian market, especially when it comes to broadcasting and advertising, for the foreseeable future. It just is what it is.
I don't think the other cities will catch up, no. But they will eventually get big enough to be major cities in their own right.

But the NRL can attract the blue chips right? Glad we agree. So it can be done, so it's more on the clubs that it isn't done more. Our TV ratings are more or less in line with the AFL's mate which means the eyeballs are about the same. Woolworths, Telstra, Kia, Toyota etc. all want to sell products wherever they'll be bought.

Two teams in Sydney and one in Brisbane means f**k all if no one cares about them.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't think the other cities will catch up, no. But they will eventually get big enough to be major cities in their own right.

But the NRL can attract the blue chips right? Glad we agree. So it can be done, so it's more on the clubs that it isn't done more. Our TV ratings are more or less in line with the AFL's mate which means the eyeballs are about the same. Woolworths, Telstra, Kia, Toyota etc. all want to sell products wherever they'll be bought.

Two teams in Sydney and one in Brisbane means f**k all if no one cares about them.
90% of media advertising is spent in metro areas. Population of Newcastle, Cairns or Bunbury matter little when it comes to where companies currently spend their advertising $'s.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
90% of media advertising is spent in metro areas. Population of Newcastle, Cairns or Bunbury matter little when it comes to where companies currently spend their advertising $'s.
Yes, I understand and that is spot on.

I'm talking about the future and the sheer amount of future major cities that are currently NRL heartlands. We need to keep them as strongholds and we will be well placed.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes, I understand and that is spot on.

I'm talking about the future and the sheer amount of future major cities that are currently NRL heartlands. We need to keep them as strongholds and we will be well placed.
Clearly the valuable advertising markets are the 5 major cities. The rest are tiny in comparison. The knock on of NRL's continued non existence in two of them, and minor footprint in the largest, is a major hinderance to revenue generation at hq and club level.

Pippen94

First Grade
Clearly the valuable advertising markets are the 5 major cities. The rest are tiny in comparison. The knock on of NRL's continued non existence in two of them, and minor footprint in the largest, is a major hinderance to revenue generation at hq and club level.
When did Melbourne surpass Sydney?!