What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Appoint Brad Arthur as Head Coach

Who should be our next coach

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Shoulders like a black snake.

It's pretty impressive how he played so much first grade despite being so weak and slow. Credit where it's due.

Agreed. He was a crafty halfback and a very solid first grader. His run of consecutive games in the NRL speaks volumes of his durability.

jk13

First Grade
His appearance always reminds me of a guy that never made it successfully out of puberty

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
He is probably the best pre-pubescent goal kicker I have seen (...apart from a 12 year old Gutful that could slot them from 55m out).

Surrogate

Juniors
I'm glad Arthur got the gig. He has always been the bridesmaid but never the bride. Now is his chance to grab the bull by the horns.
I think he will be crowned King Arthur when the eels finish 15th or higher.

shiznit

Coach
I'm glad Arthur got the gig. He has always been the bridesmaid but never the bride. Now is his chance to grab the bull by the horns.
I think he will be crowned King Arthur when the eels finish 15th or higher.
King Arthur... I like the sound of that...

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
It's becoming clear that there are people who still want to feed misinformation to this forum and the media to cause hysteria and to hell with the club in 2014. They despise infighting caused by Fitzy, yet they are doing the very same thing. They can't see the wood through the trees.

Forgive me if I want unity and single focus towards a common goal. How f**king selfish.

There will be another election and those who think that they can do a better job can have a crack. In the meantime they should shelve their egos, STFU and support the club.
THIS :thumb

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
More than happy to get some of the guys and girls here involved in areas where we need help
OK, I'll put my hand up for CEO and ME for chairman & HJ as the Bearded Eel mascot. Will produce tens of thousands of fluffy beards to sell at game day and merchandise outlets. Thousands of fans stroking a handsome beard with the feel of mohair while a large beard is running around Pirtek Stadium as our new mascot stopping here and there for fans/children to stroke the beard.

Last edited:

Jodeci

Bench
OK, I'll put my hand up for CEO and ME for chairman & HJ as the Bearded Eel mascot. Will produce tens of thousands of fluffy beards to sell at game day and merchandise outlets. Thousands of fans stroking a handsome beard with the feel of mohair while a large beard is running around Parra Stadium as our new mascot stopping here and there for fans/children top stroke the beard.

How about we all grow beards?

Runaround Man

Juniors
Brad Arthur and Daniel Anderson - BA and DA - kind of go together.
I was wanting JT but somehow this seems better now - glad that Arthur got the job - seems like a very solid character - exactly what is needed.

Chipmunk

Coach
Well I hope we can improve under Brad Arthur and I certainly wish him the best. He is apparently pretty happy with the squad we have so Im expecting a vast improved performance next year.

With a split board even on his appointment he is already the most under pressure coach in the NRL. I note Arthur's comment about Toovey ignoring all the boardroom issues at Manly and him having the same attitude. Well good luck with that one.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/br...ls-coaching-role/story-fndv34of-1226741167184

Brad Arthur to be plunged into immediate chaos as new coach of Parramatta Eels

Josh Massoud
The Daily Telegraph
October 17, 2013 12:00AM

ON Tuesday night Brad Arthur was lazing in the pool at a Kuta Beach hotel when his wife Michelle interrupted the well-earned reverie.

She had urgent news of a phone call from Sydney, which the young family had left behind the previous *morning for a 12-day vacation in Bali.

Upon learning *Parramatta chairman Steve Sharp was on the other end of the line, Arthur put down his Bintang stubbie and accepted the phone.

He suspected it would be a worthwhile trade.

"I thought it might be some positive news . . . why else would he be calling?" Arthur reasoned.

"It ended up be the news that I wanted, but I didn’t expect it.

"Over the past week it’s been up, down, up, down."

Which explains why Arthur found himself in the luxurious surrounds of the Bali Dynasty resort when *Parramatta finally sealed the most convoluted, mind-*boggling and politically driven coaching appointment in NRL history.

BOARDROOM GAMES

A week earlier, the Manly *assistant thought he had the job after negotiations progressed to the point of discussing his salary.

Then his application was unexpectedly defeated 2-3 at a board meeting last Tuesday night, despite Sharp publicly declaring his personal support for Arthur.

Fast forward a week and Arthur’s rival, Jason Taylor, was in the box seat.

Arthur’s management were even told on Tuesday morning that Taylor would be appointed.

With that news in mind, Arthur settled back for his Balinese holiday in the knowledge he would remain Geoff Toovey’s assistant at Manly in 2014.

And then came Sharp’s offer of a three-year deal, which was extended just moments after the Eels board backflipped and voted 4-2 in favour of Arthur on Tuesday night.

"It’s been like a roller-coaster ride with everything that’s been going on, including the Cowboys job," said Arthur, runner-up to Paul Green in last month’s race to coach North Queensland.

"The thing that kept me positive was I had a great job at Manly. There’s no question I wanted to be a head coach, but it had to be the right time."

With Parramatta’s highly factionalised board in a constant state of flux, the ideal time — politically — could still be years away.

Arthur accepts the job in full knowledge that one third of the boardroom wanted Taylor.

"That doesn’t bother me because I know I’m the best person for the job," he said.

"I’m going there to coach a footy side.

"I’ve got no concern over things I can’t control, like what happens in the board room."

THE PLAYERS
Not long after Ricky Stuart quit the Eels early last month, Arthur discovered he was the players’ choice to be coach.

He earned their admiration during a six-week stint as caretaker in late 2012, following Steve Kearney’s sacking, by promoting a less structured brand of attack.

"Knowing the players wanted me there was good in terms of reassurance that this is the right job for me and that I’ve already got a head start," Arthur said.

Headed by veteran forward Ben Smith, there’s also a handful of Eels who are yet to find homes after being told to look elsewhere in June.

"I’ve got to talk to (recruitment manager) Peter Nolan about that, and go through the way I want to coach and the way I want the team to play," Arthur said.

"If I feel that they fit that style I would be crazy to let them go."

HOPPA AND SANDOW

As Taylor firmed to prohibitive odds to win the role, the handlers of star recruit Will Hopoate started to make noises about exercising a get-out clause to renege on the three-year deal with Parramatta.

Hopoate’s father, John, was an Arthur fan from time the pair spent together during the preseason at Manly.

Now that Arthur has been appointed, Hopoate is assured of reporting for duty when the players return for pre-season training on 7 November.

Whether Sandow recaptures his best form under *Arthur at the Eels is much more of a *mystery.

"I’ve not had any involvement with Chris for 12 months, so I need to sit down with him and get an idea of what he wants to do with his career and where he’s going," Arthur said.

"It’s very hard to dictate what’s going to happen with Chris until he decides what he wants to do."

PARRA PASSION
Unbeknown to many, Arthur was raised in Seven Hills and is a Parramatta junior.

His first coaching roles were in Batemans Bay and Cairns, prior to his career making move to Melbourne where he learned the trade under Craig Bellamy.

For the past three years Arthur has juggled assistant duties at Parramatta and Manly with the head coaching role of the Rouse Hill Rhinos Under 11s.

"My son Jake plays with Rouse Hill and it’s something I want to stay involved with next year, as well," Arthur said.

"Growing up and playing for the Eels as a kid, this is more than a job. It’s a real honour."

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ta-eels-coach-brad-arthur-20131016-2vlgf.html

Jarryd Hayne priority for new Parramatta Eels coach Brad Arthur

Date
October 16, 2013 - 8:15PM

Michael Carayannis
Rugby League Writer

Incoming Parramatta coach Brad Arthur has vowed to get Jarryd Hayne back to his scintillating best as he aims to lift the consecutive wooden spooners into finals contention next year.

Arthur’s coaching fortunes were resurrected in another dramatic Parramatta boardroom meeting on Tuesday night after he looked destined to miss out on the job to Jason Taylor.

Chairman Steve Sharp has long advocated Arthur to take over from Ricky Stuart as coach but he was overruled when the club’s board voted 3-2 against Arthur’s appointment recently. But Sharp canvassed fellow board members in recent days and Fairfax Media understands another vote went 4-2 in Arthur’s favour after director Mario Libertini was absent from the initial ballot. It is understood board member Peter Serrao switched his support to Arthur.

Fearing Arthur may have walked away having lost initial backing, he was contacted before the meeting on Tuesday night while holidaying in Bali with his family and friends, to ask if he was still interested in the position. Arthur was offered a three-year deal on Wednesday morning.

‘‘It’s been long and drawn out,’’ Arthur said. ‘‘Moving forward I want to concentrate on the positives and make Parramatta a force. I want to do it immediately; I’m not waiting for a couple of years. Making the finals will be our goal. We’ll be going in with a winning mentality and thinking we can win every game. We aren’t going there to make up the numbers.’’

Arthur’s first task will be igniting Hayne back to his best form. Hayne was injured when Arthur won two games in his six game stint as caretaker Eels coach last year. Arthur said he hadn’t locked Hayne into a position. ‘‘I have to sit down with Jarryd and find out what he needs from me to play his best footy and what I need from him,’’ Arthur said. ‘‘We’ll come up with a plan for what’s best for the team and for him. He is a talented footballer and he’ll have a great season. I’ll make sure of it.’’

Parramatta’s commitment to appointing a general manager of football cost Taylor the job after negotiations broke down at Tuesday’s board meeting. Chief executive Scott Seward said directors were not willing to compromise on the establishment of a general manager of football role – expected to be filled by NRL referees’ boss Daniel Anderson – and rejected the terms and conditions Taylor was seeking to return to the club as head coach.

‘‘Obviously we were pretty deep in negotiations with Jason but there were some conditions that we went back to the board with that the board weren’t willing to compromise on, and there was a resolution passed to cease negotiations with Jason,’’ Seward told Fairfax Media.

‘‘We are not willing to compromise on the structure we are putting in place for this football club. We believe in what we are putting in place and we believe that is going to deliver success for this club that the members and fans deserve. Unfortunately negotiations with Jason broke down and we just couldn’t agree on the conditions of the contract. From that point, we opened negotiations with Brad and his management team.’’

Arthur has served a long apprenticeship including stints as an assistant to Craig Bellamy, Stephen Kearney and more recently credited for instilling steel into Geoff Toovey’s forwards at Manly. He played lower grades at the Eels and lives in the Parramatta district. ‘‘We aren’t going to look like Manly or Melbourne, we are going to look like Parramatta and play the way I want,’’ he said. ‘‘The players are there because they are good footballers. I just need to harness the talent in the right direction.’’

The lifelong Eels fan plans to talk to wayward halfback Chris Sandow in a bid to revive his career. ‘‘I need to sit down and find out what he wants to get out of the rest of his career and find out what he wants to do,’’ Arthur said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts