What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Appoint Brad Arthur as Head Coach

Who should be our next coach

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
If it were any other club there would not be the media coverage that the Eels get.

They know we have one of the biggest fan bases so they just write anything to sell chip wrappers.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
They the media are bottom feeders but you can't disagree with the fact that this time we do deserve everything we cop from the media. The way our board went out about trying to select a coach was a like watching a bunch I clowns at a circus. So unprofessional.

Yep ideally everything would have stayed in the boardroom. Would have been good if it wasn't publicized who voted for who as coach. I don't know if things will ever stay confidential in the Parra boardroom. Every man and his dog seems to have a contact.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Yesterday I was quick to criticised the board for meeting to vote on appointing Arthur, at the same time as negotiation with Taylor.

After seeing what the media is reporting I am happy to correct myself and say I was wrong. The board did the right thing, if Taylor wasn't happy with the structure the board wanted to implement for club then they had every right to look at another candidate. Taylor aren't no Bennett or hasler, so the board did the right thing in sticking to their plan (and Taylor was my preferred option)

Now the board just need to stop the leaks and stop talking to the media. The CEO along with Arthur must now be the go to people for the media.

I know my opinion doesn't mean much, but where better to voice an irrelevant opinion.

I feel very good about this hire.

Very, very good.

I suppose it has a lot do with how respected Arthur is amongst Manly and Parramatta players. You get the feeling Arthur had a lot do with the Sea Eagles success this year. And the excitement among Eels players is promising. You just get the sense they really, really wanted Arthur.

Now have I ever had this heightened enthusiasm with newly appointed coaches in the past?

Brian Smith. Yep.
Hagan. Nope. Probably the opposite of excitement. I hated the signing.
Anderson. In the middle somewhere between excitement and indifference.
Kearney. Pessimistically hopeful, but definitely not excited.
Stuart. Hated the signing from the get go.

I would not have had this level of excitement with Taylor, Henry, or Cartwright. In fact if we signed Henry or Cartwright I would have been aghast.

So I am truly excited about our future.

F*CK YEAH!!

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Yep ideally everything would have stayed in the boardroom. Would have been good if it wasn't publicized who voted for who as coach. I don't know if things will ever stay confidential in the Parra boardroom. Every man and his dog seems to have a contact.

Agree with this. A lot of people will say "Stop the leaks" but in the same breath a number of us salivate over any crumbs that an in the know poster leaves us on this forum.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I know my opinion doesn't mean much, but where better to voice an irrelevant opinion.

I feel very good about this hire.

Very, very good.

I suppose it has a lot do with how respected Arthur is amongst Manly and Parramatta players. You get the feeling Arthur had a lot do with the Sea Eagles success this year. And the excitement among Eels players is promising. You just get the sense they really, really wanted Arthur.

Now have I ever had this heightened enthusiasm with newly appointed coaches in the past?

Brian Smith. Yep.
Hagan. Nope. Probably the opposite of excitement. I hated the signing.
Anderson. In the middle somewhere between excitement and indifference.
Kearney. Pessimistically hopeful, but definitely not excited.
Stuart. Hated the signing from the get go.

I would not have had this level of excitement with Taylor, Henry, or Cartwright. In fact if we signed Henry or Cartwright I would have been aghast.

So I am truly excited about our future.

F*CK YEAH!!

Nice one. Good to see some excitement. I am also hopeful that we can turn things around.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...or-battling-eels/story-fnca0von-1226741266390

Brad Arthur's vision for battling Eels

Brent Read
The Australian
October 17, 2013 12:00AM

BRAD Arthur has marked his shock return to Parramatta as head coach by playing down concerns over the volatility of the Eels boardroom, setting his side the lofty goal of a place in the top eight and outlining his desire to sit down with halfback Chris Sandow to sort out his future.

Arthur, speaking from Bali where he was enjoying a short holiday with his wife and three children, was still coming to terms with his appointment yesterday after one of the most remarkable coaching pursuits in NRL history.

Like most in the rugby league community, Arthur thought the job of replacing Ricky Stuart was destined to go to Jason Taylor.

However, when the Eels and Taylor were unable to agree on the appointment of a head of football operations - NRL referees coach Daniel Anderson has been earmarked for the role - Parramatta directors voted to terminate talks and offer Arthur a three-year deal.

It shapes as a homecoming for Arthur, who spent this season as an assistant at Manly. He grew up a Parramatta junior, acted as caretaker coach when Steve Kearney was sacked last year and still lives in the area, where he coaches his eldest son's rugby league team.

"I am really happy about it," Arthur said. "I know Parramatta has had their knockers but it has been part of my life since I was a young kid, playing my junior footy at Seven Hills and then coming up through the lower grades, having a stint there with Steve and getting six weeks (as head coach).

"Now to be coaching them, I am very proud to have the opportunity. I want to make a go of it and I know they are going to support me and give me the resources and do what is needed to make a go of it. Hopefully I am there still in five, 10 years' time."

Of all the challenges at Parramatta - the club has finished the past two seasons with the wooden spoon - controlling the volatile boardroom shapes as the most daunting.

Arthur has already had a taste of that. He was chairman Steve Sharp's initial choice to replace Stuart before the board voted in favour of Taylor.

However, talks with Taylor reached a stalemate over the appointment of Anderson, prompting the board to conduct another vote on Tuesday night.

It is understood directors Mario Libertini and Peter Serrao sided with Sharp and deputy chairman Tim Issa, meaning Arthur had the numbers.

Asked about the difficulties in dealing with the Parramatta board and the prospect of former coach Anderson becoming the head of football operations, Arthur said: "It doesn't concern me because they have told me I am the coach and I am going to be part of that process with the footy manager.

"I am going there to coach the team. I am not going there to run the club, I am not going there to try and tell the board what they have to do in running the club.

"I can't see it being an issue. It will only be an issue if I let it be an issue."

There are other issues as well, most notably the form of Sandow. The halfback has been battling well-documented gambling problems but Arthur got the best out of him during his short stint as caretaker coach last year.

"The first step with Chris is I need to sit down with him," Arthur said.

"I haven't had anything to do with him for the past 12 months. I need to sit down, see where he is at, see what he wants to get out of the rest of his football career and then we put a plan in place from there.

"We're going to have the attitude of going out every week to win every game.

"I know that's not going to happen, but that's going to be our attitude.

The Colonel

Immortal
Nice attitude. He had seemingly learnt from his time at Manly to distance himself from a volatile board firstly. That will e good practise for him for starters.

The other thing I like is that he has set a goal of the top eight and the attitude is we are going out to win every game we play. He is also realistic knowing that it won't always happen but has set the course.

I am excited for the first time in a long time. I bet the players are as well.

Far Canal

Juniors
'Arthur accepts the job in full knowledge that one third of the boardroom wanted Taylor.'

Great quote Massoud you f**king vulture. Maybe the Prime Minister should go into a deep depression seeing he only got 55% of the vote.

I agree - Josh and the crew at the DailyCrap are just gutter negative journalists.

You only have to read the SMH on this appointment to see the difference in reporting on this appointment.

Avenger

Immortal
Nice attitude. He had seemingly learnt from his time at Manly to distance himself from a volatile board firstly. That will e good practise for him for starters.

The other thing I like is that he has set a goal of the top eight and the attitude is we are going out to win every game we play. He is also realistic knowing that it won't always happen but has set the course.

I have spoken to a number of people associated with League both past and present. They all agree that we made the right choice and are skeptical about JT.

Kornstar

Coach

He is very well respected, has a great attitude and been involved with success.......all he needs is for the pea hearts who wanted him there to actually deliver, history suggests that our heartless players will let him down, I really hope they prove that theory wrong and play for him the way he deserves!

I have spoken to a number of people associated with League both past and present. They all agree that we made the right choice and are skeptical about JT.

That's my gut feel as well. Not knocking JT, just think there was an unnecessary risk factor there....with no obvious benefit.

oldmancraigy

Coach
That's my gut feel as well. Not knocking JT, just think there was an unnecessary risk factor there....with no obvious benefit.

Taking off the Brad and Arthur glasses for just a split second - shouldn't your statement be reversed?

Arthur is the risk, we knew what JT would bring. We know he would've brought a consistent style of play, and had the team thoroughly prepared each week. The only blemish on his record was being decked by a meathead.

We simply don't know if Arthur can get the job done as a head coach - big risk. Personally I hope it pays off!
AND I hope Taylor urinates in a cup and throws it on SBW.

Taking off the Brad and Arthur glasses for just a split second - shouldn't your statement be reversed?

Arthur is the risk, we knew what JT would bring. We know he would've brought a consistent style of play, and had the team thoroughly prepared each week. The only blemish on his record was being decked by a meathead.

We simply don't know if Arthur can get the job done as a head coach - big risk. Personally I hope it pays off!
AND I hope Taylor urinates in a cup and throws it on SBW.

Fair enough, but I was referring to risks attending personality types, and the possibility (even if minor) of repeat occurrences. I'm happy with the judgement I made on our most recent coach, despite what some others wanted to tell me. Again....not knocking JT.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Every coach represents a risk, but I agree Taylor would have carried the bigger risk due to his proven volatility/immaturity.

As for Arthur, he might be unproven as a head coach (as opposed to a caretaker), but he only left the club 12 months ago. The players and much of the club's staff already know what to expect regarding his character.

forward pass

Coach

I am sure any other coach we appointed would not have been interested in a top 8 finish - or trying to win each game ! :lol:

forward pass

Coach
Ok - so now we have sorted out a coach, a CEO, a playing roster, and potentially a Manager of football - the only task is to get our moronic board sorted out. The leaks are ridiculous a the moment. Why does everyone need to know the vote was 4-2 - who released that information?

We should just be told the board voted in favour and Arthur was appointed. That's it!

TheRam

Coach

Without having any inside knowledge, I tends to agree, big time.

natheel

Coach
Just watched the Seward interview. Seems like a decent bloke on appearances and the way he talks. Got to love his wry smile when Danny Weedler kept poking him for answers that would get him into hot water and sell a news paper. f**k Weedler is a germ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts