What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Attack Analysis

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Sure, but you've gotta be in it to win it. In the finals last year we scored well, both compared to what those teams conceded in the finals against other opponents and compared to our own scoring rate in the lead up to the finals. It was our defence that let us down.

eel01s

Bench
No, it was the disruption to our backline in both games, and a poor ref decision and lack of game awareness in the Souths game.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I think we can all agree Bellamy is a better coach than Arthur's. I reckon he would've cost a bit. Nobody's been able to pry him away from Melbourne. He must love the weather down there.

He loves not being in the spotlight in a city that gives no crap about league so he can introduce more wrestling moves to the greatest game of all

hindy111

Post Whore
Looking at the Storms execution of attacking plays, are their players that much better or maybe they are better coached.

Basically outside of Munster, they have been coached into a cohesive, fast moving, well drilled unit. Would like to be half as good in speed of play both sides of the ball , and backline moves.

They have Papanhauzen and H.Grant on Bench.

Munster,Hynes,Kafusi,The cheese,JAC,Welch, Bromwitch,Finuacne,Nelson Solomona.

That's 10 guys who have played for their state or country. Not counting Hyness who is close.

forward pass

Coach
It amazes me how many times we look to go through the hands out wide, and the ball ends up on the ground. EVERY GAME. The most fundamental skill in the game isn't it? Our centres and wingers are constantly reaching for the ball either above, down low or behind them. The pass is never out in front. Under 10's stuff. BA seems good mates with Murphy so he wont sack him but I might accept BA as coach with a decent attacking coach assistant. Otherwise they will both lose their jobs.

We could have played another hour on Thursday night and still not scored. They were not threatened one little bit by our attack.

Also- BA made a fool of himself by trying to change our style against Roosters after criticism. Criticism which he also openly stated he disagreed with. Bizzarre.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
How do you know it was Arthur's changing things? He was critical of decisions made by the team, and it's been made clear the players are free to play what's in front of them.

I'd say it was a lack of onfield leadership rather than a change in game plan. The players aren't robots.

Gazzamatta

Coach
If BA survives Id suggest he may not continue to be the hire and fire guy amongst those involved in team preparation. Recruitment and contract negotiation has definitely improved since those functions became committee determined.
I recall when MON was hired, The Bern made it very clear anything to do with the footy team preparation and coaching was BAs domain and that BA would report directly to him and not MON. Spider senses suggested a BA power play. I think that control has been somewhat diluted and it wont be surprising to see further dilution. I read something recently where the board had said that BA and MON need to work more closely together. I think it was an @Avenger contribution? BA also had his last contract price reduced apparently.
Id love to know if Johns, Carr and Elkin were BAs ideas. Im guessing they wernt but what would I know.
Interesting times. Heres hoping he crushes all the talk with some fantastic footy. Lets go boys.

Avenger

Immortal
Speaking of attack, who do you think has the record in the NRL since this stat was included as the most Try Assists in one season?

Have a guess without using google.