What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

IFR33K

Coach
Why? Obviously we are looking for a “big name” but also don’t you also want to improve our pack and get a better player to replace Alvaro / peni if possible?

Imagine this pack:

8. Paulo
9. Mahoney
10. RCG (?)
11. Lane
12. Marata
13. Brown

14. Prior
15. Evans
16. Taka ??
17. Hooker??

I’m sure we can aim a little higher

JokerEel

Coach
Prior will end up at the doggies just my guess...

I would honestly offer him a 2 year deal as the Sharks have him on the books for next season..

My issue is he is aging and slowing down plus does not look fit.. look how the Raiders beat the Storm smallest pack in the comp Vs the biggest...

Prior wont add anything to our team that will take us to the next level..

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We are an inconsistent side.

Inconsistency is usually brought upon by youth, and inexperience.

Matt Prior offers tonnes of experience, as well as being a strong middle defender.

His running game is average, but the trade-off is you get big match experience, and strong defence.

I'm not his biggest fan, but I can see where Arthur is coming from, and it makes sense.
Yep. Merkins whinge about signing players like Watmough, Fritchard and Tony Williams, and they all bring the risk of unavailability, but the biggest issue in our squad for nearly a decade has been lack of experience.

Incorrect

Coach
Yep. Merkins whinge about signing players like Watmough, Fritchard and Tony Williams, and they all bring the risk of unavailability, but the biggest issue in our squad for nearly a decade has been lack of experience.
In the past decade at various stages we've brought in a shit load of Origin and grand final winning experience with the likes of Walker, Whatuira, Webb, McGuire, Tonga among others... And finished anywhere from last to as high as 14th... So experience can backfire badly. Then again, I'm going back to 2011, 2012...maybe it was just shit coaching. The guy does seem to have an ordinary record...

hineyrulz

Post Whore
In the past decade at various stages we've brought in a shit load of Origin and grand final winning experience with the likes of Walker, Whatuira, Webb, McGuire, Tonga among others... And finished anywhere from last to as high as 14th... So experience can backfire badly. Then again, I'm going back to 2011, 2012...maybe it was just shit coaching. The guy does seem to have an ordinary record...
Big enough sample size????

Happy MEel

First Grade
They are free to though and nobody has. I obviously think my numbers are reasonable, but I'm obviously not the only one who thinks Joker Eel's figures are unrealistic.
I was more pointing out to the fact that joker eel was criticised for making up values (which you, and now I, have done). I reckon both of your figures are unrealistic. If $300k is about the average salary I can see him wanting at least that averaged out for both years (around $600-$650k total). The merkin played Origin last year.

The Sharks may chip in just under the minimum wage next year though, so it’s not counted in their top 30.

Last edited:

IFR33K

Coach

Apparently it wasn’t the coaches fault for bringing in those players. We turned them into duds because the culture of the club blew. Hindsight is bliss. Why didn’t those players opt to go to clubs like storm/roosters/wabbits. They would of added to their premiership credentials....

JokerEel

Coach
They are free to though and nobody has. I obviously think my numbers are reasonable, but I'm obviously not the only one who thinks Joker Eel's figures are unrealistic.

400-500 is a stretch but Prior is a former NSW player as HappeyMEel pointed out and has won 2 grandfinals..
He is probably on some nice coin this year and next.
I also dont think my inflated figures is much different to people blowing smoke up is ass :rofl:..

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Majority of those players were all added around the same time to an already declining / aging squad with a lack of juniors coming through and were expected to be a “core” part of the side.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I was more pointing out to the fact that joker eel was criticised for making up values (which you, and now I, have done). I reckon both of your figures are unrealistic. If $300k is about the average salary I can see him wanting at least that averaged out for both years (around $600-$650k total). The merkin played Origin last year.

The Sharks may chip in just under the minimum wage next year though, so it’s not counted in their top 30.

He may want $600-$650k, but it’s the market that determines the value.

Do you think a club is going to offer him $300-$350k for 2021 at 34 years of age.

If that is his asking price, I reckon there’s a good chance he is playing with the thirroul butchers and doing night shift in the mines in 2021.....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You're ignoring 2013 for some reason?

Obviously your experienced players aren't of full use when they're injured, and we had to take the less desirable experienced players due to salary cap and other internal issues. Experienced players who rarely miss a game (like Watmough) are very expensive.

emjaycee

Coach

I didn't crtiticise JokerEel for making up a value for Prior.

I asked him for a source because the way I read his post was that we had or were preparing to make an offer of 2-3 years at up to $500k per year. His words "Signing ODonnell for a year at probably Minimum wage compared to Us Signing Prior for 2-3 years at 400-500k is no comparison".

If he has said "our stupid club will probably offer Prior a 3 year, $500k per year deal" I wouldn't have commented or cared because it would have been clear that the value was made up.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

So if nobody offers what he wants do you reckon he might retire rather than take $200k in that second year? I wish I'd been on $200k when I was 34.

Latest posts