What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
May or may not mean much.

But Prior has 2 T/A and 3 LB assists this year, which looks pretty good for a “prop” (I tried to compare to a few others).

Jake T has 3 T/A and 2 l/b assists. JHW has the stats as Prior.

Looks like he may have some “play making” skills.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Is it astute though if signing him now, costs us the signature of a more premium player?

We have been linked to Burgess, Lodge, RCG, Welch (with reports he was about to sign) all before we have been linked to Prior, so I think a “big name” has always been a priority so I doubt the potential signing of Prior will affect us signing a better player.

We have a few players to potentially replace:

Mannah - middle
Gower - middle (May stay)
Moeroa - middle
Manu - edge

That’s 3 middles to replace. Assuming Stefo moves into the top 30, we still have 2 top 17 spots for a middle player (based on sides being picked this year). Additionally Marata may move back to the edge, which could open another spot.

Also that’s a lot of experience leaving too.

84 Baby

Referee
We have been linked to Burgess, Lodge, RCG, Welch (with reports he was about to sign) all before we have been linked to Prior, so I think a “big name” has always been a priority so I doubt the potential signing of Prior will affect us signing a better player.

Mannah - middle
Moeroa - middle
Manu - edge

That’s 3 middles to replace. Assuming Stefo moves into the top 30, we still have 2 top 17 spots for a middle player (based on sides being picked this year). Additionally Marata may move back to the edge, which could open another spot.

I’ve got no problem if he ends up signing, but given we had space for premium players, if he signs before them then every dollar above min wage is one less you can offer to the premium player.
Very general example - you have 800k to spend on 2 players. You identify 2 targets, one for 600k, one for 200k. You sign the 200k one straight away, but then the other guy comes back wanting 625k. Now you’re left with 600k to spend on one player but having no appropriate players on the market. And a 200k player who’s value was probably more replaceable with a 175k player

Noise

Coach

Mannah - middle
Moeroa - middle
Manu - edge

Unless Prior is the only 'big name' remaining if we have missed out on all the others? Played origin last year. Still has a year left on his contract. He's not coming for unders.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I reckon he would play for $200k in the second year but I think he’d be on close to $400k next year. He won’t be playing for any less than he’s on at the sharks.
I agree he might be contracted for $400k next year but if the Sharks need to move him on they might be willing to wear 25% of that.

I certainly hope we wouldn't offer him that much. $300k seems about right.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
All I know is we were last or as good as in 2011, 2012 and 2013, and made finals once since 2009 (not including this season) and we had experienced and inexperienced rosters all through that time...and yes, we won enough games in 2016 to have made the finals but we cheated so that's moot...

An assertion by anyone that Matt Prior is exactly what we need for 2020 can easily be countered by another person that he's not what we need based on any number of points...
So did we perform poorly because we had too much experience or not enough?

84 Baby

Referee
So did we perform poorly because we had too much experience or not enough?
I think the Walker, Webb et al period was a failure to various issues that struck each of the “experienced” players. Some of those issues however would also be age related, the downfall of having players who are too experienced

hindy111

Post Whore
I agree he might be contracted for $400k next year but if the Sharks need to move him on they might be willing to wear 25% of that.

I certainly hope we wouldn't offer him that much. $300k seems about right.

I dont mind a guy like Prior. We have perhaps some very good middles coming through. Evan's and Jnr look like top 17 middles along with N.Brown.

Prior will do a job and means if they dont come good we are not soley reliant on Terepo and Alvaro.