What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Apparently it wasn’t the coaches fault for bringing in those players. We turned them into duds because the culture of the club blew. Hindsight is bliss. Why didn’t those players opt to go to clubs like storm/roosters/wabbits. They would of added to their premiership credentials....
You've just made my point. We could only get the senior players the 'well run' clubs didn't want. Or do you reckon Kearney thought those guys were stars and we were just lucky they were still available so late in the season (like Matt Prior)?

Happy MEel

First Grade
So if nobody offers what he wants do you reckon he might retire rather than take $200k in that second year? I wish I'd been on $200k when I was 34.
I reckon he would play for $200k in the second year but I think he’d be on close to $400k next year. He won’t be playing for any less than he’s on at the sharks.

Gronk

Staff member
ECXLuWqUEAAuGDY

Happy MEel

First Grade
He may want $600-$650k, but it’s the market that determines the value.

Do you think a club is going to offer him $300-$350k for 2021 at 34 years of age.

If that is his asking price, I reckon there’s a good chance he is playing with the thirroul butchers and doing night shift in the mines in 2021.....
As I mentioned above I think he’d be on close to $400k next year and would probably take $200-$250 in 2021

I also think there are clubs that would pay that much for him in 2021 as a reliable squad filler.

Last edited:

Happy MEel

First Grade
I didn't crtiticise JokerEel for making up a value for Prior.

I asked him for a source because the way I read his post was that we had or were preparing to make an offer of 2-3 years at up to $500k per year. His words "Signing ODonnell for a year at probably Minimum wage compared to Us Signing Prior for 2-3 years at 400-500k is no comparison".

If he has said "our stupid club will probably offer Prior a 3 year, $500k per year deal" I wouldn't have commented or cared because it would have been clear that the value was made up.
Fair enough, but I thought it was pretty clear he was proposing a hypothetical. I think anyone here throwing out figures are guessing, and those (potentially yourself) who may be privy to contract values from time to time wouldn’t disclose it in a public forum such as this anyway.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I reckon he would play for $200k in the second year but I think he’d be on close to $400k next year. He won’t be playing for any less than he’s on at the sharks.

Yeah that seems reasonable amounts, think he had a good offer from the knights when his current contract was being negotiated but choose to stay with the sharks.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Cronulla havent exactly got a reputation for paying unders. This is the reason they are trying to move players on. Like Poo says they once had illegal tpa's. Not so now. That being the case I'd suggest Prior is on the high end of what an average player is worth.

hindy111

Post Whore
Whilst I agree with the sentiment @hindy111 I think you went a bit over top here
You have to admire @hindy111 's "I'll be right mate" resilience.

Do I seem like I have that much passion about anything to become that emotional? I admire people who do. I just don't care about much but myself and what effects me directly. Selfish perhaps but I dont stick my nose in other people's problems.Unlike the good samaritan @Gronk who wants to fix everything. A lot of these people most likely just wants to feel better about themself. A flaw in there genetic make up.

Incorrect

Coach
You're ignoring 2013 for some reason?

Obviously your experienced players aren't of full use when they're injured, and we had to take the less desirable experienced players due to salary cap and other internal issues. Experienced players who rarely miss a game (like Watmough) are very expensive.
All I know is we were last or as good as in 2011, 2012 and 2013, and made finals once since 2009 (not including this season) and we had experienced and inexperienced rosters all through that time...and yes, we won enough games in 2016 to have made the finals but we cheated so that's moot...

An assertion by anyone that Matt Prior is exactly what we need for 2020 can easily be countered by another person that he's not what we need based on any number of points...

IFR33K

Coach
You've just made my point. We could only get the senior players the 'well run' clubs didn't want. Or do you reckon Kearney thought those guys were stars and we were just lucky they were still available so late in the season (like Matt Prior)?

The point is we don’t need washed up players. Especially paying overs for them, because it creates too much imbalance.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
An assertion by anyone that Matt Prior is exactly what we need for 2020 can easily be countered by another person that he's not what we need based on any number of points...

I don’t think anyone has said Prior is exactly what we need for 2020.

However I think some, that are for the signing have said they can see the reason why the club may be looking at him ....

84 Baby

Referee
Do I seem like I have that much passion about anything to become that emotional? I admire people who do. I just don't care about much but myself and what effects me directly. Selfish perhaps but I dont stick my nose in other people's problems.Unlike the good samaritan @Gronk who wants to fix everything. A lot of these people most likely just wants to feel better about themself. A flaw in there genetic make up.
New headline “hindy hates pregnant women”