What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Gronk

Staff member
Brad Arthur is adamant Parramatta is not a spent force in the countdown to this year’s NRL finals, and his players are not suffering from a crisis of confidence or any mental demons.

And to make his point Arthur returned serve on the wounded Eels’ critics with this simple question: How would the Panthers aim up without star playmaker Nathan Cleary and dummy-half Api Koroisau?

In no way was Arthur downplaying Penrith’s performance, he was just pointing out a few facts many seem to be ignoring in the wake of the weekend’s 20-2 loss — when the Eels were without two key members of their spine in hooker Reed Mahoney and five-eighth Dylan Brown.

Arthur also revealed the Eels would receive a boost with Mahoney (AC shoulder injury) expected to play against Brisbane this Friday, while Brown (ankle) could be back for week one of the finals.

656e48767d7f2a703d8571477e8ab2bd

The Panthers and Eels could meet again in the first week of the finals. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)
That clash potentially will be a return western Sydney blockbuster against Penrith when first place plays fourth.

Arthur was full of praise for the way the Panthers clinically went about their assignment, but that is not to say he’s ready to throw in the towel.

While the focus of criticism has been on the Eels’ inability to score points, what also can’t be ignored is that they finished on the wrong side of a massive 39-61 per cent possession split, and only had 38 to 58 sets with the ball.

There was also a dubious try just before halftime that came a play after a Penrith knock on. That would have potentially had the scores at 2-0 at halftime.

“If there was no effort there I would be concerned,” Arthur said.

“We didn’t have our nine (Mahoney), we didn’t have our six (Brown).

“If you take Cleary out of their team and you take Api Koroisau out of their team … and we had as much ball. They are not excuses, it is just what it is.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...p/news-story/d0ea80c390f16b5c8a4ca25f458f6060

Eelementary

Post Whore
Brad Arthur is adamant Parramatta is not a spent force in the countdown to this year’s NRL finals, and his players are not suffering from a crisis of confidence or any mental demons.

And to make his point Arthur returned serve on the wounded Eels’ critics with this simple question: How would the Panthers aim up without star playmaker Nathan Cleary and dummy-half Api Koroisau?

In no way was Arthur downplaying Penrith’s performance, he was just pointing out a few facts many seem to be ignoring in the wake of the weekend’s 20-2 loss — when the Eels were without two key members of their spine in hooker Reed Mahoney and five-eighth Dylan Brown.

Arthur also revealed the Eels would receive a boost with Mahoney (AC shoulder injury) expected to play against Brisbane this Friday, while Brown (ankle) could be back for week one of the finals.

656e48767d7f2a703d8571477e8ab2bd

The Panthers and Eels could meet again in the first week of the finals. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)
That clash potentially will be a return western Sydney blockbuster against Penrith when first place plays fourth.

Arthur was full of praise for the way the Panthers clinically went about their assignment, but that is not to say he’s ready to throw in the towel.

While the focus of criticism has been on the Eels’ inability to score points, what also can’t be ignored is that they finished on the wrong side of a massive 39-61 per cent possession split, and only had 38 to 58 sets with the ball.

There was also a dubious try just before halftime that came a play after a Penrith knock on. That would have potentially had the scores at 2-0 at halftime.

“If there was no effort there I would be concerned,” Arthur said.

“We didn’t have our nine (Mahoney), we didn’t have our six (Brown).

“If you take Cleary out of their team and you take Api Koroisau out of their team … and we had as much ball. They are not excuses, it is just what it is.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...p/news-story/d0ea80c390f16b5c8a4ca25f458f6060

I see what Arthur is saying, but our attacking game has been poor for several months - and we had Mahoney, and Brown, available.

I'd rather Arthur not say anything at all at press conferences, than pay lip service, tbh.

I don’t believe he owes us fans an explanation as to why things aren't going great - that's not his job.

But using the press conferences to say it's an easy fix, and that he's not worried, and that we were short-staffed...

Better off saying nothing at all, and merely praising our opponents, imo.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I see what Arthur is saying, but our attacking game has been poor for several months - and we had Mahoney, and Brown, available.

I'd rather Arthur not say anything at all at press conferences, than pay lip service, tbh.

I don’t believe he owes us fans an explanation as to why things aren't going great - that's not his job.

But using the press conferences to say it's an easy fix, and that he's not worried, and that we were short-staffed...

Yep what’s his excuse for the last 2 months??? The biggest thing in all of this was his comments after the Souths game. He said we just need to get back to what we were doing. So he had been happy with what he had been dishing up before that??? Talk about low standards, we’ll low standards is what this club has been built on I suppose.........

Gazzamatta

Coach

Some very un Brad Arthur like comments lately.
He never offers excuses.
His "easy fix" statement.
Endorsing our right side D.
I think hes very much a man under pressure.
The poor bugger hardly sleeps when we are winning. One can only imagine the hours hes putting in lately.

Gronk

Staff member
Here we go again. BA gets the team to top 5 3 of last 4 years and he's a nuffy. No idea LOL !

Post pages and pages of sacrcasm and the people who don't are apologists and fap at mediocrity.

LOL ! :rolling_eyes:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Some very un Brad Arthur like comments lately.
He never offers excuses.
His "easy fix" statement.
Endorsing our right side D.
I think hes very much a man under pressure.
The poor bugger hardly sleeps when we are winning. One can only imagine the hours hes putting in lately.
Well if it’s all too much for him he can always quit. Poor bugger :frowning2:

Angry_eel

First Grade
Here we go again. BA gets the team to top 5 3 of last 4 years and he's a nuffy. No idea LOL !

Post pages and pages of sacrcasm and the people who don't are apologists and fap at mediocrity.

Well the regular season is not over yet. We don't know if we'll be in the top 5.

Happy MEel

First Grade

It’s ironic you’ve added to the “pages and pages of sarcasm” with your 2nd sentence.

Your last sentence could also just as easily read:
“pages and pages of blind optimism and the people who don’t share it are death riders and fair weather fans”.

Gronk

Staff member
It’s ironic you’ve added to the “pages and pages of sarcasm” with your 2nd sentence.

Your last sentence could also just as easily read:
“pages and pages of blind optimism and the people who don’t share it are death riders and fair weather fans”.

But there are pages and pages of sarcastic gloom and doom. You'd think that we were a lay down misere for the spoon. This is the Eels Fan forum, however there is more negativity here about our own team than the general NRL forum.

Happy MEel

First Grade
But there are pages and pages of sarcastic gloom and doom. You'd think that we were a lay down misere for the spoon. This is the Eels Fan forum, however there is more negativity here about our own team than the general NRL forum.
I’d argue that is to be expected as we care far more about our club’s results than those in the general NRL forum. I think people are particularly disappointed as they showed so much promise at the start of the year and have been steadily declining to the point where our recent form has us the worst attacking side in the comp.

Last edited:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

Some truth to that. It’s hard sometimes because a lot of the questions would have been about us and what we need to do. Should take a leaf out of Bennett’s book and give them f**king nothing.

Gronk

Staff member
I’d argue that is to be expected as we care far more about our club’s results than those in the general NRL forum. I think people are particularly disappointed as tame showed so much promise at the start of the year and have been steadily declining to the point where our recent form has us the worst attacking side in the comp.

We certainly have struggled to score points since Moses did his calf (June) and Brown his shoulder. Not the same attacking team.

parra pete

Referee

The coaches under pressure should be - Ricky Stuart, Wayne Bennett, John Morris, Adam O'Brien, Mick Maguire.Justin Holbrook..their record in 2020 is worse than Brad Arthur's....FMD. wish all the SINGLET supporters would get off his back, and stop running with the hares, and hunting with the hounds. Shits me no end...

Latest posts