What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

TheRam

Coach
I was listening to TCT's recent interview with Burnie Gerr today and had a vision that the Chooks rissoled Suaali for being an anti-vaccer and we signed him. By the time I snapped out of it I had drifted halfway into the right hand lane.

Funny how he loves seeing our huge players in our team and a giant wall in defense. Seems to me he has a love for big fat merkins too.

Looks like the people that know something about the game are into big powerful merkins.

You on the other hand, you like and rate small plodders. Each to their own I suppose.

Gronk

Staff member
Boy how mismanaged was he by our coaches and trainers at the time? From his first offseason training with our NRL squad and then the ongoing training, his body weight and injuries management. Wow, I really get the feeling that we were a major contributor to his inability to fully develop as a player.

I wouldn't be surprised that we mismanaged his drinking issues early on before it became a major problem and could have been better handled too.

I really hope we have better people at the club now who know how to handle our players coming through and not destroy them with a one program fits all approach. He really is a cautionary tale of what not to do to a young up and coming kid that needs to grow into his body as a man and eventually be capable of handling such a torturous training load and regiment. It sounds like a complete balls up from our clubs side of things.

I did not know that it was our fault he was getting arrested for drink driving, drug possession, bar brawls etc and could not do the simple things like his knee rehab.

He went to the Dogs BTW and most of his dumb arrests were during that contract, before he was sacked.

TheRam

Coach
I did not know that it was our fault he was getting arrested for drink driving, drug possession, bar brawls etc and could not do the simple things like his knee rehab.

He went to the Dogs BTW and most of his dumb arrests were during that contract, before he was sacked.

Good to see you gained insight from that interview. Typical liberal. No idea about the human psyche or how family values or mentors make all the difference to almost all kids. Why would you, all we hear from liberals is how the family unit is an antiquated concept and not necessary in todays progressive and modern world to raise healthy well adjusted children.

Maybe you should reread the Will Penisini story/interview you posted and try an understand what his father was inferring to when he enrolled Will into Kings College.

Also I am not suggesting that Parra is at total or even partial fault in Loko's alcohol or drugs problems in a direct way. Everyone needs to take personal responsibility for their actions, but maybe if we had better people in place at the time, it may have turned out differently. Obviously we did drop the ball in his physical preparation and well being, so what makes you think we knew what we were doing or had the right people in place to guide and support our young players on the mental side of things? Remember we were losing so many young talents back then to other clubs because our junior programs were all over the shop. I remember what a young Daniel Topou had to say about us and why he left at the time and it wasn't pretty from our clubs perspective.

Not saying we as a club were alone in that, since from what he said the Bulldogs didn't have any quality support in that area either. I would hope that we have learned from those days and realise that our young players need to be individually assessed as to what they can physically endure while their bodies are maturing into men and mentally we can see the signs when a player is struggling and may need serious intervention or a mentor program that can help him with his demons. Sometimes all it takes is that one person in a persons life to change everything for the better.

Anyway, no point in crying over spilt milk, what was done is done. We can only hope that we have much better programs, techniques and people in place today for the players sake and the clubs.

Gronk

Staff member
Good to see you gained insight from that interview. Typical liberal. No idea about the human psyche or how family values or mentors make all the difference to almost all kids.

Are you taking the piss ?

King-Gutho94

Coach
Tim Mannah comes across as a dufus and a softcock. How he was ever our captain is one of the wonders of the league world. I couldn’t finish the interview.
Funny how we have played more finals series in 2 and half years since he retired than what tim managed in a 10 year career.

Since he was dropped after round 11 2019 and never played again we have won 41 games and lost 21.

Almost doubled the amount of wins to losses

Avenger

Immortal
Funny how we have played more finals series in 2 and half years since he retired than what tim managed in a 10 year career.

Since he was dropped after round 11 2019 and never played again we have won 41 games and lost 21.

Since Ray Price retired

Dean Pay
Cayless

The others including players like Hindmarsh who was great as a team player I just couldn’t take seriously as Captain material. Don’t start me with Mannah. He was easily the most overrated player we have ever had. The day he retired was like a curse was lifted. The last of the ‘haven’t won anything generation.’

Gutherson is still learning and the jury is still out on his leadership. I’d actually make him and Moses co-captains. Mahoney I’d also consider.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Funny how he loves seeing our huge players in our team and a giant wall in defense. Seems to me he has a love for big fat merkins too.

Looks like the people that know something about the game are into big powerful merkins.

You on the other hand, you like and rate small plodders. Each to their own I suppose.
I rate hard workers above anything in the modern game. It's why the Storm and Panthers packs are so good defensively. You can be tall without being 120kg

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

The good clubs talk about recruiting players that will fit into the club culture. The no-dickheads policy starts at a very young age. After a kid has hit about seven years of age there's not much you can do to turn him into a good bloke. 'Troubled yoofs' are somebody else's problem. Unless they stab you to death in a home invasion. Then they should've been in jail already.

Tooooks

Bench
Since Ray Price retired

Dean Pay
Cayless

The others including players like Hindmarsh who was great as a team player I just couldn’t take seriously as Captain material. Don’t start me with Mannah. He was easily the most overrated player we have ever had. The day he retired was like a curse was lifted. The last of the ‘haven’t won anything generation.’

Gutherson is still learning and the jury is still out on his leadership. I’d actually make him and Moses co-captains. Mahoney I’d also consider.
My opinion is neither Gutho nor Moses have the temperament to be captain. That’s not to say Gutho isn’t a good leader (as in leading by example) but they both wear their hearts on their sleeves and seem to lose it a bit under pressure.

I reckon Rheed is our future long term captain.

Cloeel

Juniors
Since Ray Price retired

Dean Pay
Cayless

I was actually thinking recently that RCG could make a good captain.

Eelementary

Post Whore

How many Grand Finals have we appeared in?

'Cos Mannah played in one.

TheRam

Coach
I rate hard workers above anything in the modern game. It's why the Storm and Panthers packs are so good defensively. You can be tall without being 120kg

Everyone rates hard workers mate. The difference is the Storm have both size and hard workers and so do we. We just need better tactics and a little more speed out wide.

Tooooks

Bench
If you have past your limit to free view. Open it up on in a chrome browser using the incognito mode.
Thanks mate. I just read the article. For some reason I’m unable to copy and paste the text on my phone. Pretty good read though and I’m glad the club is finally looking at the mental side of the game to try to give us that edge.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Thanks mate. I just read the article. For some reason I’m unable to copy and paste the text on my phone. Pretty good read though and I’m glad the club is finally looking at the mental side of the game to try to give us that edge.

Yeah i agree though sometimes i feel these things can be overthought. Hopefully it's an edge.

Just goes to show what a dickhead paul kent is. During our slump he mentioned how the club had a forced a mind coach onto BA to improve his mindfulness which was ridiculous in his view.

Seems like the players and coach have got on board and embraced it.

Latest posts