What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • Ryles

Votes: 26 27.4%
  • Morris

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 23.2%

• Total voters

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
Its amazing how 1 generation of premierships created such a big fanbase.

Parra must have had such a big reach in the 80s. If guys like Hannay were fans from the Bush in QLD.

We probably got lucky when 80s they still had the BRL were still running around so QLD RL fans had a BRL side and a NSWRL side where most jumped onto Parra.

Imagine if we had more then 1 generation of success we already have a big fan base it would be probably be even bigger then what it is.
Signing in :D

Now you’re fabricating other people’s ’obvious implications’. There’s no need for anyone to choose their words when you’ve volunteered to do it for us.

I look forward to your continued commentary on what you think each of my posts mean.
stefanie geërgerd GIF by VTM.be

Gronk

Staff member
Looking at the James Graham podcast with Cheika, it's unlikely he's put his name forward for the job, so if the club has decided to interview him, the entire 'interview process' seems to be a bit of a ruse, and we've already decided he's the man.

I watched it too. He is an interesting chap with out-of-the-box concepts on footy.

I assume that you have concluded that he’s a no go because he is EU based these days ?

There was wide consensus that he was interested in the Bunnies job and lots of chat about the currently vacant Waratahs job.

I did find this quote from late last year however.

Cheika, the current coach of Argentina, also said there was “nothing there” regarding links to the NRL’s West Tigers and said he wanted to be involved in the 2027 Rugby World Cup in Australia in ”one way or another”, with his immediate future tied to Los Pumas.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I watched it too. He is an interesting chap with out-of-the-box concepts on footy.

I assume that you have concluded that he’s a no go because he is EU based these days ?

There was wide consensus that he was interested in the Bunnies job and lots of chat about the currently vacant Waratahs job.

I did find this quote from late last year however.

Cheika, the current coach of Argentina, also said there was “nothing there” regarding links to the NRL’s West Tigers and said he wanted to be involved in the 2027 Rugby World Cup in Australia in ”one way or another”, with his immediate future tied to Los Pumas.
Hes not adverse to taking on numerous roles. Thats not to say Our Eels would be happy to share but "27" is a fair way off and the guy would have probably set up significant changes to accomodate an absence. Where Cheika is concerned, processes will not develop as they would under the usual regime. Id suggest he could be the most hands off coach in the history of the NRL..
So exciting!

Last edited:

King-Gutho94

Coach
I would rate payten even more harshly due to the fact he lost the unlosable Prelim Final a few years back at home in his only finals series as coach.

And overall he has underachieved with half a dozen origin players in it and another 3 or 4 internationals from NZ, Tonga or Samoa who don't play origin.

eels_fan

First Grade
I think like in the majority of high level role recruitment within the corporate world, the ideal/desired candidate has been identified. A pool of interested contemporaries are welcomed to apply to create a interview pool to ensure some formality and process around a decision from a public perception perspective - but unless the desired candidate completely shits the bed in the interview, rejects the final terms/offer or someone absolutely out of the blue astonishes the committee - the decision is made.

the question is just who the committee has already decided our coach will be

Delboy

First Grade
The other site is remarkable, years smashing BA and stating he is useless , even when winning and rejoicing when he was moves on.

One poster puts an article up referencing McDermott and how good he was on a podcast, now it’s all about he is the messiah if anyone else is hired they are basically crap and also useless, can only imagine if say Ryles or Hannay get the job, guess it will give them impetus to remain nasty and negative.

The other site is remarkable, years smashing BA and stating he is useless , even when winning and rejoicing when he was moves on.

One poster puts an article up referencing McDermott and how good he was on a podcast, now it’s all about he is the messiah if anyone else is hired they are basically crap and also useless, can only imagine if say Ryles or Hannay get the job, guess it will give them impetus to remain nasty and negative.
You'd have to admit McDermott is the standout, achievable, candidate though.... I've been saying the same on here for a month or two.

Latest posts