What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • Ryles

Votes: 26 27.4%
  • Morris

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 23.2%

• Total voters

Tmars

Juniors

Cheika’s interest and player’s backing​

Meanwhile, Cheika spoke with leading player agent Sam Ayoub and asked him to find a job in the NRL and revealed to the SMH that he intends to have a “proper go” at rugby league.

“Six weeks ago, I spoke to Sam about what I am going to do next,” Cheika said.

“I’ve made that decision that I want to have a go at it and do it properly. But I didn’t want to kid myself. After speaking to Sam, it sounds like it’s worth having a proper go. For me, it’s not about competing for a position. It’s about doing it properly if an opportunity arises.”

You may also like​

Premiership Team of the Week: Luther Burrell picks 'fantastic' George Ford at 10 alongside 'world class' scrum-half
FeaturedPremiership Team of the Week: Luther Burrell picks 'fantastic' George Ford at 10 alongside 'world class' scrum-half
03 Jun 2024

Nick Easter's Premiership predictions: Battle of the Fin(n)s to be a 'classic' as Northampton Saints and Bath will be an 'absolute thriller'
FeaturedNick Easter's Premiership predictions: Battle of the Fin(n)s to be a 'classic' as Northampton Saints and Bath will be an 'absolute thriller'
19 hours ago
Former South Sydney player Josh Mansour backed Cheika for the role having worked with the ex-Wallabies boss when he was Lebanon coach.

“He’s one of the best coaches I’ve ever worked with,” Mansour said.

“He’d be perfect for South Sydney. He’s a coach that’s very good at bringing a team together. He’s a good man manager. He’s a proven winner. The best trait about Michael Cheika is his ability to instil belief, not only within yourself as a player, but within the team. He’s just extremely passionate about what he does.”

Gazzamatta

Coach
If the board actually interviewed Cheika he will out interview any of the other candidates by a mile including Payton.
He is too intelligent and too inspiring compared to the others. Give him a team of assistants and let him go.
If we had a board full of ex footy players Id suggest Cheika would be no chance. Interestingly enough our board is full of "business ppl". This is so f'n exciting.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He had a good year in 2022 in defense after a shocking first year.

Though now as you can see their defense is getting worse Which show he is doing a poor job.

YearAgainstGamesPPG
21​
748​
24​
31.16667​
22​
361​
24​
15.04167​
23​
542​
24​
22.58333​
24​
331​
13​
25.46154​
It's the same coach across all four years. What's changed is the quality of the players. Even where a player is at a club for multiple years he isn't the same quality each year. Age, injuries and off field distractions all impact a player's form from one year to the next. The absolute dumbest take is that the coach suddenly became shit.

Last edited:

JokerEel

Coach
It's the same coach across all four years. What's changed is the quality of the players. Even where a player is at a club for multiple years he isn't the same quality each year. Age, injuries and off season distractions all impact a player's form from one year to the next. The absolute dumbest take is that the coach suddenly became shit.

I am not saying he has suddenly became shit. Even though coaches do.

He is just shit...

Incorrect

Coach
How can Payton interview for the role? He's still the coach of the Cowboys and I assume contracted next year?
Has it been confirmed that he is interviewing for the role?

I think it's pure scuttlebutt and innuendo at this stage. I don't see him with any chance tbh

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Lets test Chiefy's maths....

1717850253773.png

GF Appearances

Penrith 4
Melbourne 4
Roosters 2
Brisbane 2
North Queensland 2
Souths 2
Canterbury 1
Cronulla 1
Canberra 1
Parramatta 1
Dolphins 0
Warriors 0
Tigers 0
Titans 0
St George 0
Newcastle 0
Manly 0

Average GF Apearances = 1.2
North Queensland = 2
2>1.2

Median GF Appearances = 1
North Queensland = 2
2>1

💩 > Chiefy

chiefy1

Bench
For a sixteen team comp the average is two grand finals in sixteen years. For a seventeen team comp it's two every seventeen years.

Stick to sharing your bullshit scoops and leave the basic arithmetic to the big boys.
Yes we'll in the past 16 years, the cows have made the gf twice right that's average 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yes we'll in the past 16 years, the cows have made the gf twice right that's average 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
And so have we. So while both clubs are average over 16 years, the Cowboys are superior over the more recent frame of ten years. I think ten years is more relevant than sixteen, while still providing a large enough sample of seasons. Obviously one year is the most recent, however it is too few seasons to tell us much about a club's overall strength. For example, the Warriors were top four in the last 12 months. It's not exactly representative of the quality of that club. In the past ten years they've only made the finals twice. In the same period we've made the finals five times. Over the longer span of sixteen years we've only made the finals six times. I think it's clear we've changed a lot as a club since 2008, which is why the last decade is more representative of the Parramatta Eels' future prospects. You could even argue the period since 2019 (just over five years) is most representative of who we are, especially as we can point to an obvious structural turning point around that time.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They have a 42% win record since 2017 when they last made a GF.

66 wins 90 losses.

42.10%.

A bigger sample size and a shitter record then the one you been defending BA with post 2022 GF.
And maybe six (and a half) years is a more representative sample than ten. But maybe not. The period since 2017 includes an extreme low point for them, which was only a couple of years long. It's probably just an outlier. In 2022 they made the preliminary final and they've won exactly half their games since then. Hardly the sign of a shit team.

Latest posts