What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • Ryles

Votes: 26 27.4%
  • Morris

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 23.2%

• Total voters

Delboy

First Grade
You'd have to admit McDermott is the standout, achievable, candidate though.... I've been saying the same on here for a month or two.
So in demand that he’s never mentioned and you’d hardly call the Knights a beacon of achievement. No, I don’t think he’s the standout, Rob Burrow couldn’t stand him so that doesn’t help.

I see him as a similar candidate as the outgoing coach, think we need to look for a younger and possibly more progressive candidate, personally favour Hannay.

So in demand that he’s never mentioned and you’d hardly call the Knights a beacon of achievement. No, I don’t think he’s the standout, Rob Burrow couldn’t stand him so that doesn’t help.
I think it's great he's never mentioned, shows he will owe nothing to the media (and hence give them nothing) if he gets the role. I don't think Rob Burrow will be a 2025 Eel, so his thoughts aren't really relevant, and we probably need a coach that some players won't like - might shoot a rocket up Paulo, Lane, Matterson etc.
I see him as a similar candidate as the outgoing coach, think we need to look for a younger and possibly more progressive candidate, personally favour Hannay.
Going with another novice then, who won't be able to stand up to the HOF in any way? No worries, each to their own.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
There have been 20 grand final teams in that time. The Cowboys have accounted for 10% of them. It’s better than average.

JokerEel

Coach
There have been 20 grand final teams in that time. The Cowboys have accounted for 10% of them. It’s better than average.

He had a good year in 2022 in defense after a shocking first year.

Though now as you can see their defense is getting worse Which show he is doing a poor job.

YearAgainstGamesPPG
21​
748​
24​
31.16667​
22​
361​
24​
15.04167​
23​
542​
24​
22.58333​
24​
331​
13​
25.46154​

JokerEel

Coach
Sharks with Fitzgibbon 2022 seemed like a year everyone had good defense!

23 it jumped up but has settled this year.

YearAgainstGamesPPG
22​
364​
24​
15.16667​
23​
497​
24​
20.70833​
24​
234​
12​
19.5​

hindy111

Post Whore
tbh I couldn’t give 2 shits who we appoint….im not the one interviewing them therefore none of us really know what they’re going to bring to the table I’m just simply stating a fact…

would there be a guarantee of success if your boy was appointed?

Whoever it is needs 3yrs. I'm not expecting to much in 2025. 2027 I think we win the premiership.

Chipmunk

Coach
I watched it too. He is an interesting chap with out-of-the-box concepts on footy.

I assume that you have concluded that he’s a no go because he is EU based these days ?

There was wide consensus that he was interested in the Bunnies job and lots of chat about the currently vacant Waratahs job.

I did find this quote from late last year however.

Cheika, the current coach of Argentina, also said there was “nothing there” regarding links to the NRL’s West Tigers and said he wanted to be involved in the 2027 Rugby World Cup in Australia in ”one way or another”, with his immediate future tied to Los Pumas.
No, he indicated he has no intention of applying for NRL jobs. If he had no interest in applying, but we're interviewing him, it suggests that we've made the approach rather than the other way around.

Tmars

Juniors
UPDATED: Former Wallabies coach Michael Cheika has thrown his hat in the ring as South Sydney looks for its next NRL coach.

Cheika, 57, coached Australia's men's rugby union team from 2014 to 2019 but has since spent time dabbling in rugby league, most notably at the Roosters where he was briefly an advisor to Trent Robinson.

While not confirming his Rabbitohs interest specifically, he told The Sydney Morning Heraldhe is exploring opportunities in the NRL full-time now.

"I've made that decision that I want to have a go at it and do it properly," Cheika said.

"But I didn't want to kid myself. After speaking to (manager) Sam (Ayoub), it sounds like it's worth having a proper go. For me, it's not about competing for a position. It's about doing it properly if an opportunity arises."

Suitman

Post Whore
UPDATED: Former Wallabies coach Michael Cheika has thrown his hat in the ring as South Sydney looks for its next NRL coach.

Cheika, 57, coached Australia's men's rugby union team from 2014 to 2019 but has since spent time dabbling in rugby league, most notably at the Roosters where he was briefly an advisor to Trent Robinson.

While not confirming his Rabbitohs interest specifically, he told The Sydney Morning Heraldhe is exploring opportunities in the NRL full-time now.

"I've made that decision that I want to have a go at it and do it properly," Cheika said.

"But I didn't want to kid myself. After speaking to (manager) Sam (Ayoub), it sounds like it's worth having a proper go. For me, it's not about competing for a position. It's about doing it properly if an opportunity arises."

Link?
Cheika himself has said he doesn't have a manager.

Edit. No link required. Article dated 1st May 2024. He said no manager 4 months ago.
God forbid that he has that wanker Sam Ayoub on board now.

Latest posts