What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 30 30.9%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Ryles

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • Morris

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Cheika

Votes: 23 23.7%

• Total voters

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The Cowboys have made the finals just twice in the 16 years when Thurston hasn't been part of the squad between 95-04 and 19-24.

2004 and 2022 the only years they made the finals when Thurston hasn't been involved as a player.

I would say they are perennial underachievers for a club that has massive resources and a climate that should provide a home ground advantage.

Without Thurston they average making the finals once every 8 years like the Wests Tigers
Sure but why exclude their results with Thurston? They have proven their ability to recruit, develop and retain big names.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
@Twizzle you need to update poll candidates.

do you really think he has a genuine chance ?

it just sounds like Newscorpse click bait as I reckon the decision has been made, or is close to being made.

For us to show any genuine interest in TBaz, we'd have to at least give him till the end of the season to show what he can do which I reckon would be too late

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well, that bush coach that you so venomously supported
Venomous support ffs
had a less than average gf statistic of one gf over his 10 year tenure, but I'm sure pau pau will pull some bs inadequate finances stat out of his ass to support his cause. Haha 🤣🤣🤣🤣
It’s pretty clear the club is far more important than the coach for deciding results. We know this by looking at the careers of coaches who have been at multiple clubs; Stuart, Hagan, Kearney, Bennett, Hasler, Maguire and Cleary have all had very different results at the various clubs they’ve been at. Did they become good coaches at the strong clubs and poor coaches at the weak clubs? Was it coincidence that Arthur’s record was so much better after we went from a weak club’s management structure to a more professional structure in 2019?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
do you really think he has a genuine chance ?

it just sounds like Newscorpse click bait as I reckon the decision has been made, or is close to being made.

For us to show any genuine interest in TBaz, we'd have to at least give him till the end of the season to show what he can do which I reckon would be too late
I think outsiders like us are too focused on onfield results for judging the value of a coach. Consider Barrett’s competitors for the position. They won’t be judged on their 2024 NRL results because most/all of them aren’t NRL head coaches this year. There are obviously other criteria that will be assessed, and Barrett would presumably be judged on those same criteria.

Think of the club as geography and coaching as the ability to change the climate. Individual games are the weather. A coach shouldn’t be judged on half a year’s results.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think outsiders like us are too focused on onfield results for judging the value of a coach. Consider Barrett’s competitors for the position. They won’t be judged on their 2024 NRL results because most/all of them aren’t NRL head coaches this year. There are obviously other criteria that will be assessed, and Barrett would presumably be judged on those same criteria.

Think of the club as geography and coaching as the ability to change the climate. Individual games are the weather. A coach shouldn’t be judged on half a year’s results.

I think as outsiders we have no idea what discussions have taken place and the specific skills of each candidate.

We can only judge the candidates on what is available to us, their career to date, articles and podcasts etc.

JokerEel

Coach
They missed the finals last year by finishing in 11th position and they currently sit 12th. If you don’t think that’s going poorly then you should reassess how you assess teams.

Pou thinks turning up to training on the first day and that's success....

JokerEel

Coach
If Parra’s performance over the next month is a significant factor in who we choose as our next coach then I would be concerned.

I did say any chance.

The club would need to improve 100% not just on wins..

Defensively they need to be better and show changes.