What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 30 30.9%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Ryles

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • Morris

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Cheika

Votes: 23 23.7%

• Total voters

JokerEel

Coach
He had a good year in 2022 in defense after a shocking first year.

Though now as you can see their defense is getting worse Which show he is doing a poor job.

YearAgainstGamesPPG
21​
748​
24​
31.16667​
22​
361​
24​
15.04167​
23​
542​
24​
22.58333​
24​
331​
13​
25.46154​

2024 points against is now past 26 per game 🤌

But hey they have won half of their games...

JokerEel

Coach
Trent spoke of attitude being the key to D. Whilst I believe thats true we need much more than attitude in D I reckon. Lots of bad sh*t there to be undone. Hope hes working on it.

I do agree the club needs a coach who will come in and tell the players hard truths alot like how Flanno sat down with Lomax and told him he was down the pecking order of centre looking at the numbers..

eels_fan

First Grade
Barrett pre-game presser and interview with 2GB were both very much about how he is having constant communication with management about the head coaching role, and that “he is in the front window” as they can see what he is doing day in and day out which they can’t with others. From his words, it sounds like a carrot has been dangled by the board/committee that is he gets results, he gets the gig.

I said the day BA was sacked the club would love nothing more than Barrett to take us on a run as it would give them a way to substantiate taking the easy option - which is appointing Barrett who they know will fall in line to their wishes - on top of no doubt being the cheapest option for our banker buddies at the top

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think as outsiders we have no idea what discussions have taken place and the specific skills of each candidate.

We can only judge the candidates on what is available to us, their career to date, articles and podcasts etc.
It’s why we probably shouldn’t judge.

Barrett pre-game presser and interview with 2GB were both very much about how he is having constant communication with management about the head coaching role, and that “he is in the front window” as they can see what he is doing day in and day out which they can’t with others. From his words, it sounds like a carrot has been dangled by the board/committee that is he gets results, he gets the gig.

I said the day BA was sacked the club would love nothing more than Barrett to take us on a run as it would give them a way to substantiate taking the easy option - which is appointing Barrett who they know will fall in line to their wishes - on top of no doubt being the cheapest option for our banker buddies at the top
Thinking back was it the club that appointed Barrett - not BA?

And at the time, did several people on here knowingly comment that the club now had a back-up coach with NRL head coach experience, if BA left or needed to punted?

If the club and not BA brought in Barrett as an assistant, then it would follow the club might now dangle that carrot for a potential promotion appointment - it represents much less of a wholesale change and disruption for the likes of MON and the Board, which some (like MON and the Board) might argue is good for business?

King-Gutho94

Coach

What do we owe Barrett were just keeping him interested to keep him on his toes.

And probably giving the respect of giving him an interview because he is the interim atm.

I truly don't think he is any chance and nor should he be.

eels_fan

First Grade
If you hired Barrett why couldn't you offer him just this and next year? Extension to be reviewed in 12mths time. It isn't a bad move and for Trent it might be his last and only opportunity as a head coach so he'd probably take it.
The issue with that is recruitment and retention and convincing players to sign with no medium-long term coaching surety

84 Baby

Referee
What do we owe Barrett were just keeping him interested to keep him on his toes.

And probably giving the respect of giving him an interview because he is the interim atm.

I truly don't think he is any chance and nor should he be.
I think @eels_fan has nailed it. The club has a nasty habit of taking the easy option. If we get within even sniffing distance of top 8, I reckon Barrett will be unbackable to take job. And the real issue will then be recruitment will be largely on back burner until then