What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • Ryles

Votes: 26 27.4%
  • Morris

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 23.2%

• Total voters

emjaycee

Coach
I have no faith in anyone currently involved in the club making competent and timely decision that will lead to any kind of on field success going forward.
It's a little bit sad that you think that actually.
We have a Board that is comprised of some well respected and senior business leaders in their fields, who I am sure didn't get to those positions without a level of competency and leadership capability.

We have a Board that is comprised of some well respected and senior business leaders in their fields, who I am sure didn't get to those positions without a level of competency and leadership capability.
Yes that is well and good. But what do they know about Rigby League?

the reckons they have made have set us back 10 years. I’m talking about the lot of them. Board and management. They are a shambles.

emjaycee

Coach
Yes that is well and good. But what do they know about Rigby League?

the reckons they have made have set us back 10 years. I’m talking about the lot of them. Board and management. They are a shambles.
Compared to someone like Phil Gould or Greg Alexander, their knowledge of rugby league would be a lot less.
But compared to when they first took their positions on our Board or management team 5 years ago, I would say they know a hell of a lot more now than they did back then.

Chipmunk

Coach
That may be the case, but they’ve already proved that they sat on their heels and allowed two coaches I would rate higher than our previous coach, Flanagan and Bennett, to be snapped up by other clubs, when they were both available for very long periods.

The previous coach should only have been here for as long as he was the best option. With Flanagan and Bennett both available, in my view he was no longer the best option and they should have made the decision to replace the coach earlier than they did.

Waiting to replace the coach for as long as they did already demonstrated to me their inability to make correct competent decisions, in a timely manner, when it mattered.

As a result of their incompetence, they've been unable to land the best quality options that have been available.

JokerEel

Coach
Other than the 2 x assistants it’s cheika for me … anyone else will feel like a major let down

Yep besides from Hannay Cheika would be only coach that would have players from outside the Eels want to come and play for them...

Barrett / Ryles / Demetriou would not have players wanting to come from other clubs to play for them..

emjaycee

Coach
Except in their opinion, Flanagan wasn't the right choice.
You may not have agreed with that decision however I believe he was discounted as an option for us way back in May 2022 when there was consideration to terminating BA at the end of that season.
Interestingly, I believe 3 of the names I was given back then are still in the mix this time around.

Chipmunk

Coach
Except in their opinion, Flanagan wasn't the right choice.
You may not have agreed with that decision however I believe he was discounted as an option for us way back in May 2022 when there was consideration to terminating BA at the end of that season.
Interestingly, I believe 3 of the names I was given back then are still in the mix this time aroaround
In my view, that opinion on Flanagan also just reinforces my point on their level of competence on the matter.

They also apparently had an approach from Wayne Bennett in the off season. Their further incompetence was on display when they ignored the request at the time, and decided to go and ask him after they'd thought about it for 6 months after, and he had virtually agreed to go to Souths by then.

If Wayne Bennett knocks on your door you f**ken open it as fast as you can.

emjaycee

Coach
In my view, that opinion on Flanagan also just reinforces my point on their level of competence on the matter.

They also apparently had an approach from Wayne Bennett in the off season. Their further incompetence was on display when they ignored the request at the time, and decided to go and ask him after they'd thought about it for 6 months after, and he had virtually agreed to go to Souths.

If Wayne Bennett knocks on your door you f**ken open it as fast as you can.
Bennett didn't approach them.
Managers (not representing Bennett, but hoping to get a "spotters fee") approached the club saying they could get Bennett. At that stage BA had 2 years on his contract and they decided to give him some time to see if 2023 was an anomoly. Hindsight shows they probably shouldnt have but I wouldn't call it incompetence.

Anyway, no more from me on this topic - I'd rather not be labelled a Board defender again by the Forum Cop, simply for trying to give a logical explanation on my thoughts.

Chipmunk

Coach
Bennett didn't approach them.
Managers (not representing Bennett, but hoping to get a "spotters fee") approached the club saying they could get Bennett. At that stage BA had 2 years on his contract and they decided to give him some time to see if 2023 was an anomoly. Hindsight shows they probably shouldnt have but I wouldn't call it incompetence.

Anyway, no more from me on this topic - I'd rather not be labelled a Board defender again by the Forum Cop, simply for trying to give a logical explanation on my thoughts.
The fact of the matter still remains that Wayne Bennett was available to coach in 2025, two years ago.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Compared to someone like Phil Gould or Greg Alexander, their knowledge of rugby league would be a lot less.
But compared to when they first took their positions on our Board or management team 5 years ago, I would say they know a hell of a lot more now than they did back then.

if they wanted more knowledge on the matter all they had to do was join League Unlimited

Gronk

Staff member
For what it’s worth, I was told this arvo that some interview(s) were granted so as to not put a player manager or two offside. This is from a journalist (not sport) who likes his footy. Probably tea room gossip.

Latest posts