What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • Ryles

Votes: 26 27.4%
  • Morris

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 23.2%

• Total voters

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The fact of the matter still remains that Wayne Bennett was available to coach in 2025, two years ago.

and if he didn't bring us instant success it would mean he's gone 15 years without winning so much as a chook raffle

his best days were a long time ago in my humble opinion

Incorrect

Coach
and if he didn't bring us instant success it would mean he's gone 15 years without winning so much as a chook raffle

his best days were a long time ago in my humble opinion
At least he had some best days... And he's not having such bad one today the way the Phins are going so far....

Chipmunk

Coach
Sure but another fact is 2 years ago we made the GF. No way am i defending this mob but I think your misguided in thinking we should have simply appointed Bennett because he was available.
Once we didnt make the finals last year a decision should've been made that he wouldn't be the coach in 2025 and they should've contacted Bennett then, and done the deal.

They clearly wanted Wayne Bennett to coach the team, and have publicly admitted so. BAs coaching credentials against Wayne Bennett hasn't changed in the last 9 months, so why would their opinions of Wayne Bennett have changed?

I suspect had we signed Bennett, BA would probably still be here, and made similar comments to what Nathan Brown did when the Dragons signed Bennett to replace him.

Chipmunk

Coach
For what it’s worth, I was told this arvo that some interview(s) were granted so as to not put a player manager or two offside. This is from a journalist (not sport) who likes his footy. Probably tea room gossip.
The only one that would seem to make sense with would be Cheika (Ayoub/Gutherson connection)

We've apparently interviewed three people who also managed our former coach (Hannay, JD, and Holbrook). Incidentally, probably haven't considered another managed by the same bloke (John Morris), and likely to punt one of his other clients at seasons end (Murphy).

Barrett is still managed by Beavis as far as I'm aware, who no longer manages players.

I doubt Ryles Manager influenced the decision for him to get an interview or not.

Sensei Cobra

Juniors
Once we didnt make the finals last year a decision should've been made that he wouldn't be the coach in 2025 and they should've contacted Bennett then, and done the deal.

They clearly wanted Wayne Bennett to coach the team, and have publicly admitted so. BAs coaching credentials against Wayne Bennett hasn't changed in the last 9 months, so why would their opinions of Wayne Bennett have changed?

I suspect had we signed Bennett, BA would probably still be here, and made similar comments to what Nathan Brown did when the Dragons signed Bennett to replace him.
In hindsight you’re probably right but they publicly claimed that after 2023 with some mitigating factors we all know about and making the GF in 22 BA deserved a chance to see how 24 started before making a call …. In my view that’s logical thinking .

Again in hindsight they mucked up the timing on Bennett and missed an absolute opportunity.

In saying that sacking BA and going all in for Bennet demonstrates they have some idea and let’s see who they appoint before claiming absolute incompetence

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Bennett didn't approach them.
Managers (not representing Bennett, but hoping to get a "spotters fee") approached the club saying they could get Bennett. At that stage BA had 2 years on his contract and they decided to give him some time to see if 2023 was an anomoly. Hindsight shows they probably shouldnt have but I wouldn't call it incompetence.

Anyway, no more from me on this topic - I'd rather not be labelled a Board defender again by the Forum Cop, simply for trying to give a logical explanation on my thoughts.
Your comments come from a position of knowledge that others dont have. Keep sharing please.

Chipmunk

Coach
I'll be interested to see how these interviews turn out.

I suspect Cheika will be turned off the idea once he has had a chat to them and discovered the level of governance and little control he will have over things.

I can also see Ryles feeling the same way, and simply telling them to get f**ked with how much they will spend on the football staff and their insistence on the R & R committee structure.

The rest I think are a little more realistic chances of being more amenable to the Boards wishes.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

I suspect Cheika will be turned off the idea once he has had a chat to them and discovered the level of governance and little control he will have over things.

I can also see Ryles feeling the same way, and simply telling them to Get f**ked with how much they will spend on the football staff and their insistence on the R & R committee structure.

The rest I think are a little more realistic chances of being more ameniable to the Boards wishes.
Highlights the challenges that BA had as coach.

JokerEel

Coach

I can also see Ryles feeling the same way, and simply telling them to get f**ked with how much they will spend on the football staff and their insistence on the R & R committee structure.

The rest I think are a little more realistic chances of being more amenable to the Boards wishes.

This is why I think Barrett or Demetriou will be signed all the other coaches will take a deep look at the club and decide against taking the job ..

Latest posts