What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Ryles

Votes: 33 32.4%
  • Morris

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's a chance to start shaping the squad for next year. We could be asking the new guy "Are you OK if we let Barlow go to Newcastle as they've expressed an interest?" for example.
To be honest, I can't think of an incoming coach who wouldn't be ok with that... the Board should just let that happen now, without waiting for the new coach decision.
Whatever chance we have to turn things in a positive direction for 2025, we're diminishing that chance the longer we wait to appoint the new coach IMO
But yes, true.

Sensei Cobra

Juniors
I’ll argue that the issue is not with the board whose role is to ensure financial stability and keep the club growing. The most football decisions are made by the HOF and Head of recruitment , endorsed by the CEO and signed off by the chairman. Obviously inout from the coach, but there are 2/3 others who influence the overall position of the roster and club more.
This sounds logical to me. Our issues are football related. We lack any genuine rugby league knowledge rather then the bean counters

BA’s time was up but Oneill should follow him out the door.

Peter O’sullivan was recently available but he’d probably be too threatening to the current football leadership to bring on board

Chipmunk

Coach
This sounds logical to me. Our issues are football related. We lack any genuine rugby league knowledge rather then the bean counters

BA’s time was up but Oneill should follow him out the door.

Peter O’sullivan was recently available but he’d probably be too threatening to the current football leadership to bring on board
I also thought O'Sulivan would be a good get, but then his manager is Isaac Moses, so I suspect that was the end of that.

Why a recuitment f**ker needs a manager is beyond me though.

ImTheMan

Juniors
Just apologise to Brad Arthur and get it over and done with before bring him back. They don't have a better option and preferred to tank a whole season to prove a point. It won't seem more pathetic than it already is.

Gherkin

Juniors
Idea scenario is that BA goes to the tigers and gets everyone aboard the bus. We sign a dud coach who debuts MA. MA emerges as the best player in the game. To keep MA at the club and keep his salary down we get BA to abandon the bus and come back on a big deal. M O’N gets sacked. BA and MA lead us to 3 premierships in a row with a chance at a 4th

Chipmunk

Coach
Idea scenario is that BA goes to the tigers and gets everyone aboard the bus. We sign a dud coach who debuts MA. MA emerges as the best player in the game. To keep MA at the club and keep his salary down we get BA to abandon the bus and come back on a big deal. M O’N gets sacked. BA and MA lead us to 3 premierships in a row with a chance at a 4th
I suspect the same could occur if BA went to most clubs.

Chipmunk

Coach
No we'll revert to our mean. What's our mean performance under this management? It's just over 13 wins per season, with a range of 6 to 16.
Not neccessarily, because the current board and CEO got kissed on the dick with a talented playing group to start with and decisions made.

I'd argue that the current board had zero to do with the positive on field performances since they’ve arrived that obviously peaked at the end of 2022. The previous coach and Head of Football would've done all that to then without any of their influence.

If anything though, decisions made since late 2021, which have obviously impacted performances since the end of 2022, could all be attributed to their poor influences...

Last edited:
No we'll revert to our mean. What's our mean performance under this management? It's just over 13 wins per season, with a range of 6 to 16. There's no need to catastrophise just because we're having a bad season.
Yeah, because stability in management directly equates to wins on the field....

#trollorjustdumb

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You'd imagine there will be a structural change within the Football Department at the club, and the Head Coach will be a subordinate to the Head of Football. The Head of Football being on the panel deciding the coach would likely allude to this.

There were reasons this wasn't the case under the previous coach, but no reason for it to exist like that going forward.

Whilst the current occupant remains the Head of Football, replacing only the Head Coach is no longer going to improve the club's position.
If you consider what is wrong with our roster right now, assuming it is the cause of our results (and not 'poor coaching') then it's possible Arthur's loyalty to the senior players is the root cause. In that case maybe O'Neill isn't the problem.

If Arthur had a good and professional relationship with senior players.

Then Trents got a good and professional relationship with the gear steward and laundry folk.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We dont want to get rid of those player options. They are awesome
They were beneficial at the time we signed those players. We gave those options to the players in exchange for reduced salary. We don't get to now whinge about the option we benefitted from at the time the contract was signed. We already took our advantage. Now the player gets to exercise the option in the event he can't get a better deal at his next negotiation, as we agreed. Just because you'd prefer us to have paid more upfront is hindsight bias.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not neccessarily, because the current board and CEO got kissed on the dick with a talented playing group to start with and decisions made.
That talented group had just won the spoon.
I'd argue that the current board had zero to do with the positive on field performances since they’ve arrived that obviously peaked at the end of 2022. The previous coach and Head of Football would've done all that to then without any of their influence.
The following players were acquired under O'Neill:

Blake
Campbell-Gillard
Cartwright
Matterson
Opacic
Papali'i

Obviously all the retentions since then happened on his watch, but what if the coach had too much influence?
If anything though, decisions made since late 2021, which have obviously impacted performances since the end of 2022, could all be attributed to their poor influences...
Or the influence of the coach. The players seem to mostly love Brad Arthur and he loved them. But maybe that was the problem at contract time?