What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Ryles

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • Morris

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Cheika

Votes: 25 37.3%

• Total voters

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Danny Weedler: "You made the decision to sack Brad on 1 May but continued to say that he had your full support !"

You lied !

Sad Baby GIF
These guys said a lot of things, and a lot of people are taking them at face value. When will they learn?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
BA was not a successful coach. He come in 2014 when the side had been rebuilt to a decent standard. He still didn't manage top 8.
2015 a weaker squad and no finals.
2018 a top 8 squad and the spoon.
2023 and 2024 squads top 8 quality and went tits up.
The years he made finals we had very good squads. Come finals we basically shat ourselves most the time.

Some people on here are dillusional. Give me one year he over achieved.
Like most fans you overrate our players. But I agree we generally didn't overachieve during Arthur's time. Only in 2022 when we made the grand final with a top six squad at best. Underachieved in 2018 and this year. Arthur got average results at Parra, which makes him a good coach imo. The last coach to take us further was John Monie and that was with a far better squad.

Noise

Coach
Like most fans you overrate our players. But I agree we generally didn't overachieve during Arthur's time. Only in 2022 when we made the grand final with a top six squad at best. Underachieved in 2018 and this year. Arthur got average results at Parra, which makes him a good coach. It's been a long time since any coach got better results at our club. 2005 was the last time we overachieved.
We overachieved making the gf in 2009.

hindy111

Post Whore
Like most fans you overrate our players. But I agree we generally didn't overachieve during Arthur's time. Only in 2022 when we made the grand final with a top six squad at best. Underachieved in 2018 and this year. Arthur got average results at Parra, which makes him a good coach imo. The last coach to take us further was John Monie and that was with a far better squad.

2022 we had the 7th best points differential and as you've mentioned this is a better indicator then finals right?
Storm and Rooster where hammered with injuries also. We smashed a fairly weak Canberra side at home (NOT A GREAT WIN) and a good win against the Cowboys which was a flip of the coin.
Panthers flogged us twice.

King-Gutho94

Coach
2005 was the last time we overachieved.
Everyone must have overachieved in 2005 then if the Tigers won the comp.

2005 was a bigger choke job then 2001.

It was a soft comp and i thought our side played to there potential until the 2nd last week of the season and should have won that premiership.

That cowboys side that put 29 on us was a disgrace.

Hindsight would have it Brian Smith lost his job over that game.

Chipmunk

Coach
We need a coach who is highly tactical who will make attention to detail a priority.

Wayne Bennett was never that person either.

Avenger

Immortal
So all this time, BA got average results. You truly are a f**kwit troll of the highest order. Stop back tracking and be a man for once in your life or I’ll take your toothpicks off you so you won’t be able to eat your pancakes.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
2022 we had the 7th best points differential and as you've mentioned this is a better indicator then finals right?
Storm and Rooster where hammered with injuries also. We smashed a fairly weak Canberra side at home (NOT A GREAT WIN) and a good win against the Cowboys which was a flip of the coin.
Panthers flogged us twice.
Have a look at their squad. The Panthers had been belting everyone. They have won three straight with a coach who won nothing in his first 15 years and got the sack from the same club. He didn't even have a winning record. Penrith are the best because they have the best junior recruitment (Keno TPAs aside). That's where we need to spend our money to beat the cap. Academies everywhere outside of Parramatta.

JokerEel

Coach
I call BS the club was talking to Benny prior to the weekend and they had decided to sack BA on May 1...

Noise

Coach
Merkins on the internet can see our results over decades. Two blokes trying to hire a new coach aren't the most reliable source of truth.
We have made 3 grand finals in 2 and a half decades. Must be pretty well resourced. Only a handful of clubs have made more in that time.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Everyone must have overachieved in 2005 then if the Tigers won the comp.

2005 was a bigger choke job then 2001.
We overachieved by winning the minor premiership. Yes we choked, but that's because we didn't have the talent to match expectations. It's the classic Brian Smith outcome. He was such a brilliant coach that teams overachieved with tactics and consistency. Then come finals time against genuine gun sides we were both outclassed and under massive pressure due to week-on-week overachievement.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I call BS the club was talking to Benny prior to the weekend and they had decided to sack BA on May 1...
Timeline fits tbh.

I reckon the board gave a deliberate leak to SMH about passing on Bennett from a third party at that board meeting as a deliberate throw away to get media off the scent.

So they could quietly pursue Bennett in the background.

It makes more sense now then it did 3 weeks ago.

Unfortunately i think they were too late & should have been done way earlier before Souths got involved but is what it is.

King-Gutho94

Coach
We overachieved by winning the minor premiership. Yes we choked, but that's because we didn't have the talent to match expectations. It's the classic Brian Smith outcome. He was such a brilliant coach that teams overachieved with tactics and consistency. Then come finals time against genuine gun sides we were both outclassed and under massive pressure due to week-on-week overachievement.
Brian let himself down in big games by complicating things too much especially with his mind games with the players.

Sending out text messages to players night before big games trying to rev them up is just stupid. Brian wanted to feel in control. Players want to be left alone and do there own preparation 24 hours out. If they need advice from the coach they will contact him