What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Ryles

Votes: 33 32.4%
  • Morris

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gronk

Staff member
I thought all coaches can’t afford to fail at their roles.
That would mean that 16 coaches "fail" every year.

That would also make the Dally M awards for Coach of the Year a bit of a joke.

YearDally M Coach of the YearPremiers
2001Brian SmithNo
2002Daniel AndersonNo
2004Steve FolkesYes
2005Tim SheensYes
2006Craig BellamyNo
2007Craig BellamyYes*
2008Neil HenryNo
2009Kevin MooreNo
2010Brian SmithNo
2011Craig BellamyNo
2012Des HaslerNo
2013Trent RobinsonYes
2014Ivan ClearyNo
2015Wayne BennettNo
2016Ricky StuartNo
2017Craig BellamyYes
2018Anthony SeiboldNo
2019Craig BellamyNo
2020Ivan ClearyNo
2021Craig BellamyNo
2022Todd PaytenNo
2023Andrew WebsterNo

Gazzamatta

Coach
the whisper I heard yesterday from someone close to thew action was that after Uncle Wayne had knocked us back we pretty much offered the role to someone else currently connected at another club and they decided to styay where they were, he then changed his mind a few weeks later and wanted to apply but was told that he would no longer be in the running as they were too deep in negs with Ryles and Hannay.

it reminded me of the Jason Taylor style sliding door moment.
Payton?

King-Gutho94

Coach
I found this part interesting, suggests there really was a disconnect between Arthur and the board:

“However, there has long been a belief within the Parramatta organisation that a disconnect between the football team and the club was holding them back.

Ryles’ homework, if as thorough as we are led to believe, would’ve discovered that well before Mitchell Moses’ post-game tirade after the Knights game a week ago highlighted it.

It’s a culture the Eels privately believe has been allowed to fester under the siege coaching mentality of Arthur, and a realignment of the club’s culture and standards was imperative in their search for his successor.”
BA had massive trust issues.

Its easy to see in hindsight he wouldn't have staff that would potentially be a threat to his job its why we have employed assistant coaches who never wanted the main roles in the likes of Antonelli, Murphy, Gentle.

Kidwell's reputation was in the mud when he arrived in 2018 after the Kiwis 2017 WC debacle. It was an easy appointment and in hindsight our defence under Kidwell was very strong compared to now. So maybe Kidwell should be probably given more credit for the role he played between 2019 to midway through 2022.

Barrett's was pretty similar when he arrived after his 2nd failed stint as a Head Coach at the dogs.

Throw in his fallout with Daniel Anderson & not getting on with Mark O'Neill who both had similar roles.

It seems BA had trust issues with those around him.

His style got him 11 years so i suppose you can't say it failed him but did it fail the club.

emjaycee

Coach
BA had massive trust issues.

Its easy to see in hindsight he wouldn't have staff that would potentially be a threat to his job its why we have employed assistant coaches who never wanted the main roles in the likes of Antonelli, Murphy, Gentle.

Kidwell's reputation was in the mud when he arrived in 2018 after the Kiwis 2017 WC debacle. It was an easy appointment and in hindsight our defence under Kidwell was very strong compared to now. So maybe Kidwell should be probably given more credit for the role he played between 2019 to midway through 2022.

Barrett's was pretty similar when he arrived after his 2nd failed stint as a Head Coach at the dogs.

Throw in his fallout with Daniel Anderson & not getting on with Mark O'Neill who both had similar roles.

It seems BA had trust issues with those around him.

His style got him 11 years so i suppose you can't say it failed him but did it fail the club.
As a fan, hindsight is pretty much all we have, isn't it?

Sensei Cobra

Juniors
I read this morning that Moses is advocating for Barrett's retention next year. If players are supporting him, move him on. Move the whole coaching and HOF department on.
Barrett’s position is pretty much untenable. Despite the fact his record is horrendous he badly wanted the job and publicly campaigned for it. Can’t see how that’s a good foundation for our new coach.
Add to that if the players are advocating for him even more reason he needs to move on.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Yeah i guess it depends how much Ryles wants to get out of these last 8 weeks with Barrett.

Clearly they were still friends 12 months ago.

Interesting watch

1720489804331.png

yy_cheng

Coach
I found this part interesting, suggests there really was a disconnect between Arthur and the board:

“However, there has long been a belief within the Parramatta organisation that a disconnect between the football team and the club was holding them back.

Ryles’ homework, if as thorough as we are led to believe, would’ve discovered that well before Mitchell Moses’ post-game tirade after the Knights game a week ago highlighted it.

It’s a culture the Eels privately believe has been allowed to fester under the siege coaching mentality of Arthur, and a realignment of the club’s culture and standards was imperative in their search for his successor.”

I read that BA kept on mentioning there was an US vs Them mentality. Them meaning above BA

lingard

Coach

Either that, or the journey has been reading these forums. Wouldn't be surprised either way.

Eelementary

Post Whore
New Parramatta coach can’t afford to fail ? How stupid. All he can do is prepare the team, put together a decent roster and point them in the right direction.

Bellamy said that it’s not hard to make the semis. The difference between making the semis and winning the comp is huge however and you rely on no significant injuries, no off field disruptions and the other teams simply not being better at it than you.

Everyone knows that we are in drought, but you only need to look at our 01, 05, 09, 22 seasons to see it’s bloody hard to win a comp.

If merkins are going to apply a benchmark of success on Ryles to win a comp or it’s a fail, then they are only adding an extra mountain to climb, which is setting him up for a fail.

Taken your angry pills today, mate?

It's not stupid - his goal should be to win a competition, and the first step, is to set us up for success.

If he can't do that, then he's failed.