What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels open door for disgraced Sharks boss

I don't think the article implies any impropriety on behalf of our chairman tbh.

Suity

Oh no, Not at all, but he is implicated in the story, as being involved in the setting up of the organization, which will be investigated as part of an on going Fraud investigation. Indeed no implication of impropriety in the slightest. Nor did I say there was, just simply implicated in the story.

Suitman

Post Whore
Oh no, Not at all, but he is implicated in the story, as being involved in the setting up of the organization, which will be investigated as part of an on going Fraud investigation. Indeed no implication of impropriety in the slightest. Nor did I say there was, just simply implicated in the story.

That's cool. I wasn't suggesting you were. I was more coming to the defence of Spagnolo.

Suity

Gronk

Staff member
My Bro just told me that said Sharkies fraudster is a LU member. He said that his handle is Roopy / Roofie or something like that. Reckons he read it on a rugby forum.

Apologies in advance for slandering anyone's good name if yours is similar. :D

El Diablo

Post Whore
My Bro just told me that said Sharkies fraudster is a LU member. He said that his handle is Roopy / Roofie or something like that. Reckons he read it on a rugby forum.

FMD :lol:

there are some total dunces in this world

people falling for the Reefy threads are worse than the April Fools day mods

Suitman

Post Whore

FMD :lol:

there are some total dunces in this world

people falling for the Reefy threads are worse than the April Fools day mods

I never would have guessed.
El Diablo and Gronk are brothers. :sarcasm:

Suity

bartman

Immortal
And we want to employ this bloke?

Suity

I'm not sure we do any more :lol:

why won't they come out and say that then?

Agreed, the sooner people think we are having nothing doing with him the better.

"I have spoken to the people that count at Parramatta and he has now cost himself a job at the Eels"

Rothfield
http://blogs.news.com.au/dailyteleg...ts/how_every_nrl_clubs_chief_executive_rates/

Well that string of posts has made for a satisfying evening's reading.

Thank goodness for that! :D

Gazzamatta

Coach
If the "funny money" was for the "BEYOND SHARKS FOUNDATION" and he was expected to replace Fitzgerald at Parramatta beyond his tenure at the Sharks, does that mean the money was targeted for Parramatta?
Well he didnt notify the Sharks directors did he?

Fan since 1964
Gazzamatta

btaag

Juniors
Mayer would be an improvement on what we could be getting.

Parramatta needs to be run much more proffessionally. We should look at a private sector CEO and a football Manager who knows the game. The Zappia-Spagnolo incident is worrying, but it looks like Spagnolo will not be implicated in the debacle, other than the accountancy services his company provided. Lets just try and turn it all around for 2010 as this season is beginning to smell. Bad.

El Diablo

Post Whore
it gets worse http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,25652514-5003409,00.html

Tony Zappia knew of forgery claims

EXCLUSIVE by Josh Massoud | June 18, 2009 12:00am

FORMER Sharks boss Tony Zappia knew that would-be benefactor Clint Elford was under police investigation when he accepted $30,000 worth of cheques from the alleged fraudster.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that Zappia received express advice from his lawyer, Pat Agostino, against dealing with Elford in January. Agostino informed Zappia that police were looking into claims of forgery against the 27-year-old, based on a complaint from another solicitor in September 2008.

But despite being warned, Zappia accepted and banked six cheques from Elford that were allegedly sent the following month. Elford was arrested on Tuesday and yesterday faced court on three counts of fraud, with police alleging he obtained a $520,000 life insurance payout by deception.

It's now alleged the $30,000 he donated to Cronulla was part of the illegitimate payout, received after Elford allegedly convinced an insurance company that he was dying from the rare terminal neurological disorder Shy Drager Syndrome.

Among the documents allegedly used to support his insurance claim - and representations made to Zappia - was a letter from a law firm based in Castle Hill.

Elford allegedly copied the firm's letterhead and forged the signature of one of its solicitors in written correspondence to Zappia, which informed the then Sharks boss he had been made executor of the Goulburn man's $13.8 million estate.

The Daily Telegraph has now learned Zappia passed the letter on to Agostino after meeting his lawyer about a separate matter in January.

It's believed Zappia was harbouring doubts about Elford's bona fides after he was made executor without meeting the 27-year-old.

Agostino promptly contacted the Castle Hill firm and was told the letter was a forgery. He was also told the matter had been reported to Castle Hill police on September 24, 2008.

In his next meeting with Zappia, Agostino relayed that information and his concerns.

But Zappia went ahead and accepted all six $5000 cheques Elford allegedly sent to him less than a month later.

Agostino declined to comment yesterday, citing solicitor-client privilege. Zappia did not return calls. But sources close to the ex-Sharks boss last night claimed the near-contemporaneous arrival of the cheques - which were real - countered Agostino's advice and convinced Zappia to maintain contact with Elford. Four cheques were banked into funds belonging to the Beyond Sharks Foundation, a company Zappia established to receive monies from Elford.

The remaining two - made out to Zappia and sent to his home address - were passed on in cash to Sharks coaching staff and spent on a team camp and equipment.

Kept in the dark about the arrangements, Cronulla's board this week hired a private investigator to pore over the receipts.

Findings are expected tomorrow and will be passed on to the NRL, which is poised to conduct its own salary cap investigation in step with police inquires about Elford's case.

fish eel

Immortal
gee, and I thought it was just a vendetta by Magnay?

Zappia is a first class dope - and this Elford guy isn't far behind him

A SIMPLE Google search may prove Clint Elford's undoing.

When the insurance company Allianz did an online check of a medical report supplied by the 27-year-old Goulburn man, it is alleged it found the names of some of the doctors mentioned in the document were misspelt.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/claims-foiled-by-search-engine/2009/06/17/1244918083974.html