What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels open door for disgraced Sharks boss

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He may have done nothing wring and it wouldn't surprise me but its out of his hands now.

The media have hung him out to dry.

fish eel

Immortal
He may have done nothing wring and it wouldn't surprise me but its out of his hands now.

The media have hung him out to dry.

Got nothing to do with the complete lack of transparancy in the way he handled it does it?

Gronk

Staff member
It seems that Ian Thorpe's Foundation for Youth got the same offer last year ($13.8M bequest) but smelt a rat and called the cops. Shame that Zapps didn't have the same instincts.

By Josh Massoud
June 17, 2009 12:00am

SWIMMING legend Ian Thorpe has been caught up in Clint Elford's murky web of benevolence, which has dragged strife-torn Cronulla to new and potentially criminal depths.
Police believe the $30,000 donation Elford handed to the Sharks in February is the proceeds of a $500,000 life insurance fraud the 27-year-old planned to distribute to a range of charities and organisations.
The Goulburn-man is due to face Sutherland court this morning.
After Elford was arrested and taken into custody yesterday afternoon, it emerged that:
HE approached The Ian Thorpe Foundation last year with an offer to bequeath a supposed $13.8million life insurance to the swimmer's charity. Sensing a problem, Thorpe's representatives reported Elford to the Federal Police about 12 months ago.
A CASTLE Hill-based lawyer reported him to NSW police last September. The solicitor, who refused to be named, allegedly told police Elford forged his letterhead and signature to claim insurance.
TWO doctors, based in Goulburn and Sydney, allege they have been defrauded, accusing Elford of forging their signatures and letterheads to claim insurance.
Elford was charged last night over the incident.
See photos of his dramatic arrest here.
The Goulburn doctor, who also declined to be identified, also denied Elford was suffering Shy Drager Syndrome, the terminal illness he claimed would trigger $13.8million worth of life insurance.
It can now be revealed that Elford made that representation to several bodies, including a children's hospital, Oxfam and Waverley Lifeguards. There were also suggestions he approached Pat Rafter and Glenn McGrath's foundation.
But his links to Cronulla are of foremost concern, given former CEO Tony Zappia spent a third of the $30,000 he accepted from Elford in February.
Acting without the knowledge of his board, Zappia also set up the Beyond Sharks Foundation last August to receive the $13.8million life insurance he believed Elford would hand over upon his death.
He last night fronted furious Cronulla directors to explain the puzzling arrangements that NRL boss David Gallop branded a "total shemozzle''.
"Unfortunately this is nothing short of a total shemozzle,'' Gallop fumed. "I'm sure the Cronulla board are looking for answers and their fans need some, too.''
Prior to their talks with Zappia, several Sharks directors, including chairman Barry Pierce, met Elford at Rydges Hotel in Cronulla. The meeting took place as police executed a search warrant at his home in Goulburn, seizing Sharks memorabilia and computer hard drives.
But as he attempted to leave, Elford was met by detectives who took him to Miranda police station for questioning.
It later emerged that Goulburn police had begun their own investigation about a month ago, when insurance firm Allianz raised concerns about the authenticity of certain documents Elford had given them.
It is believed Elford received $500,000 as a result, much of which has been donated to various organisations that are now facing the possibility of benefiting from the proceeds of crime. Police said doctors alerted the insurer.
The Daily Telegraph yesterday spoke to a Goulburn-based doctor who treated Elford on two occasions - only to be informed by a Sydney medico his signature and letterhead had allegedly been forged. The Goulburn doctor said Elford had shown no signs of terminal illness.

"I first became concerned when a doctor in Sydney contacted me to say I'd referred Mr Elford,'' the doctor said. "I'd done no such thing. The referral letter was a forgery.''
Source: The Daily Telegraph
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25647842-5001023,00.html

It just keeps getting worse this, gotta feel for the sharks fans getting dragged thru this by a so called fan who is a fraud.

SDM

First Grade
Does anyone have Zappia's email address?

I want to offer him a share in a Nigerian Lottery.

strider

Post Whore
Does anyone have Zappia's email address?

I want to offer him a share in a Nigerian Lottery.
:lol: :lol:

to be entirely honest, I can kinda understand why zappia bit - I mean the organisation he was ceo of is in danger of going under and someone fronts with documentation and the cash to back it up - I mean he WAS given a payout from a reputable insurer, so why would an organisation desperate to stay afloat discredit that? - none of the other charities are on the brink of failure like the sharks, they just raise what they can

To the mod that deleted the article for no link. Sorry but next time you could just ask.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhq...cries-shemozzle/2009/06/16/1244918037547.html

As i said, if you read the hearld it just gets worse and now our new Chairman is slightly implicated.

leaguehq.com.au said:
Sharks launch audit for clandestine payments as Gallop decries 'shemozzle'

Jacquelin Magnay | June 17, 2009

THE financially embattled Sharks have started a complete audit of their sponsorship portfolio, including club ticket allocations and contra deals, amid a search for secret payments following the controversial departure of chief executive Tony Zappia.

The sudden arrest of the Sharks' secret benefactor, Clint Elford, yesterday clouded the future of the Beyond Sharks Foundation - the undisclosed foundation established by Zappia that received $20,000. Another $10,000 was sent by the 27-year-old Elford direct to Zappia, who said he had diverted that money to the football club to pay for a team camp, dinner and a computer.

NRL chief executive David Gallop said the drama at the Sharks "was now nothing short of a total shemozzle, on any viewing it reinforces the need for due process and proper corporate governance". Gallop added that while the Sharks board would be looking for answers, Cronulla's fans were also entitled to an explanation. The NRL's salary-cap auditor, Ian Schubert, is looking through the club's books for salary-cap breaches.

Last night Cronulla board members quizzed Zappia about potential salary-cap issues as well as the non-disclosure of the total monies of $30,000 from Elford and the creation of the Beyond Sharks Foundation, which was set up by Zappia's close friend and Parramatta chairman, Roy Spagnolo.

Departing chairman Barry Pierce last night said he was angry Zappia had kept such important information from the board.

"The board was angry that we were first informed of the existence of donations and the Beyond Sharks Foundation through press reports over the weekend," Pierce said. "Mr Zappia produced records pertaining to the donations and the foundation that he received and set up. Our legal representatives are examining all the information provided and will furnish the board with a report in due course. A copy will be provided to the NRL and any other relevant authorities."

The board was concerned if there were any other secrets, such as unofficial sponsors who may have paid undisclosed monies to help breach the salary cap. The board wanted to uncover persons who may have paid any monies to the Sharks management either for tickets to Sharks games or other club benefits.

Also on the agenda was the delayed payment of fund-raising monies to the Guide Dogs NSW, some 11 months after the donations were made by Sharks fans attending a match last July and a week after the Herald requested to see the fund-raising's financial accounts.

Cronulla board members are furious they may be drawn into a major insurance-fraud investigation involving Elford and there were some suggestions last night they would insist on Zappia personally paying the $10,000 of Elford's money he had claimed to have spent on Cronulla football activities. Zappia had claimed that the remaining $20,000 was still in bank accounts and had not been spent.

In a statement read outside the club last night, Zappia would not comment on Elford, but said he had handed over all documentation to the board. He noted the board was disappointed in him for not disclosing the existence of the foundation.

Additional reporting by Josephine Tovey

Latest posts