What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Well well well, it looks like the NRL were the ones that agreed we could play for points:

Parramatta Eels allowed to accrue NRL points while directors pursue legal action

In the NSW Supreme Court on Friday morning, Arthur Moses, SC, the barrister for the "group of five" including club chairman Steve Sharp, said the NRL had last night advised the club it can accrue points notwithstanding the court action.

Advertisement
Former Parramatta chairman Steve Sharp.
Former Parramatta chairman Steve Sharp.Photo: Shu Yeung
The NRL's barrister Lachlan Gyles SC said the NRL wanted the injunction granted on Tuesday to be lifted.

Justice Rowan Darke enacted interim orders temporarily preventing the NRL from restricting the functions of the directors and club officials.

"We say there is no need for the injunction," Mr Gyles told Justice James Stevenson.

Mr Moses said the directors and officials wanted the matter heard as soon as possible and agreed to a three day final hearing next week.

But Mr Gyles said the NRL needed more time to respond to the Eels' case, which may include lodging a cross claim.

The matter is now going before the duty judge to determine if the injunction will be lifted or extended.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/pa...tors-pursue-legal-action-20160506-gonsgq.html

Is the NRL slowly taking a backward step ?

Parra

Referee
No other club sells papers like ours. No other club leaks like ours.

I think the NRL has been reactionary with regard to information published by News ltd papers.

It makes no sense to spend time and miney doing forensic invesigations on a club who collected consectutive spoons.

Don't forget at it's core the NRL is a media organisation. Only recently did the ownership change. Doesn't mean the culture or true core values hsve changed at all.

Parra47

Juniors
On a side note, its strange that Manly are winging about the players Parra have signed from them over the past two years. Here's a rough list of players Manly have picked up from Parra or our NSW team:

Fabian Goodall
Darcey Lussick
Halauafu Lavaka
Ben Fritz
Daniel Harrison
Jordan Latham
Domanic Reardon
Cheyse Blair
Jamie Buhrer
Jason Seage
Jamil Hopoate
Jacob Gagan
Esi Tonga
Justin Horo
PJ Asiata
Domanic Nasso
Ben Falcone
Tim Crellin
Tim Robinson
Jorge Taufua

Thats since about 2000. Some pretty handy players they got from us, (and some pretty ordinary ones too). Can't see how they are crying poor.

ash411

Bench
They think the place has been run poorly for many many years and want to put their own people in there. They can see the potential of the club and know it can be massive, they want to have only 4-5 massive clubs in sydney and we sit in the heart of western sydney and should be a power house.

So, essentially, the NRL are now another faction like DF, spags, etc?

All jockeying for control of the club?

ash411

Bench
On a side note, its strange that Manly are winging about the players Parra have signed from them over the past two years. Here's a rough list of players Manly have picked up from Parra or our NSW team:

Fabian Goodall
Darcey Lussick
Halauafu Lavaka
Ben Fritz
Daniel Harrison
Jordan Latham
Domanic Reardon
Cheyse Blair
Jamie Buhrer
Jason Seage
Jamil Hopoate
Jacob Gagan
Esi Tonga
Justin Horo
PJ Asiata
Domanic Nasso
Ben Falcone
Tim Crellin
Tim Robinson
Jorge Taufua

Thats since about 2000. Some pretty handy players they got from us, (and some pretty ordinary ones too). Can't see how they are crying poor.

Oh yeah, it's common practice for Manly to pick our bones, they've been doing it forever..

Parra

Referee
To see a parallel of how the NRL fails go back through the ASADA / ALP saga. The story was the issue and what they chased. Not fairness, not truth. Just the headlines. Instead of supporting Cronulla the NRL dud everything they could to f**k them over.

Cronulla survived the NRL bullshit.
So did Souths.
So will Parramatta.

Others have not been so fortunate.

The superleague merkins have a lot to answer for.

Kornstar

Coach
So, essentially, the NRL are now another faction like DF, spags, etc?

All jockeying for control of the club?

I think most people's scepticism is that if the NRL figures are incorrect then what is wrong on their side? Is there an ulterior motive?

I don't think there is but it does concern me that their salary cap auditors possibly don't know how to manage a cap or audit a team correctly. And don't even start me on the "integrity" unit.

How did the SMH get the board recordings? Did the NRL give it to them?

yy_cheng

Coach
They think the place has been run poorly for many many years and want to put their own people in there. They can see the potential of the club and know it can be massive, they want to have only 4-5 massive clubs in sydney and we sit in the heart of western sydney and should be a power house.

I reckon an ex-CEO who is friends with some other CEO has spilled some beans (off the record) to him.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
This is going to get a lot messier before it get better.

First of all, clubs will be in uproar if they are made to play us over the cap, while the NRL can't make us dispose of players. Also, could u imagine if we remained non cap compliant and teams that lost to us narrowly missed the 8!!!! That there would be a major lawsuit against the NRL.

Secondly, if we are in fact found to be cap compliant, I can't see how the NRL can't return points. Maybe not all, but most.

Not sure the NRL wants a lengthy court battle with any club.

I suggest the NRL think long and hard before it makes its next move. ;)

Isn't this exactly what happened in 2010, when plenty of teams lost to the Storm?

NRL have had how long to get this right? How long have they investigated? You'd think this would be an open and shut case with the evidence they have gathered. Surely it can't be a conspiracy against the board by grant and Greenburg against parra because they don't like them.

Gronk

Staff member
I reckon an ex-CEO who is friends with some other CEO has spilled some beans (off the record) to him.

Right on YY. In fact why has not the NRL "withdrawn NRL accreditation" with SS ?

Last edited:

SDM

First Grade
If this goes on any longer IFR33K will need to purchase a new ? button for his commodore64

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What i'm struggling to understand is if they have added the last 3 years TPA's into this years cap, you would assume they would also include this years. How would 4 years TPA's totalling around $1M only put us $570K over. Surely we weren't almost $500K under the cap. Those figures don't add up.
Also how bad was our management when one of the most popular and marketable teams in the league can only get $250K a year in TPA

TPAs aren't allowed to leverage the club in any way. Players can not appear in club uniforms nor display club logos. So it's about marketable players rather than marketable clubs.

ash411

Bench

The problem is, if there is evidence to suggest wrong doing, it doesn't matter how they found out about it.

Yes it sucks, completely agree on that, but if the evidence is there, it's there. We can't say "Hey no fair we got dobbed on by a guy intent on destroying the club, let us go now please" doesn't work that way. Also Greenberg is under no obligation to divulge where he got the tip off from, even if we ask in court. They have laws protecting whistle bowlers, at least that is my understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.