What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather our team play in the comp Barry suggested. We probably won't win, as the board will likely still be cheating and will get caught, but I'm a big fan of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

Interestingly reports indicate Watmough is on $750k and his injury was in February. So let's say his retirement is backdated, so we only pay him 3 months ( nov / dec / Jan), the pro rata amount we wouldn't pay is $562k.

Don't forget watmough's TPA now considered part the Cap because it was guaranteed by the club. So now you start at say $900k. If medically retired ASAP he chops $450 off the $570k but you need a player in the top 25 so someone comes in on half year minimum of $42,500. So now the 570 minus Watmough leaves $120k plus the money you are paying the dud, so now you need to find $162,500. Still have to shed someone and don't forget to add their TPA to what you think they are on and remember to include the additional half year dud at $42,500.

It isn't easy

The issue now Barry is you have clear evidence from multiple clubs that there is incentive & opportunity to rort the cap with negligible chance of discovery without whistle blowing, added with the NRL's own incentive that if you happen to oust the rorter then either you can continue the con (what we decided) or throw the other guy under the bus for a minor penalty... Most auditors would look at that and go "you know what if all clubs are in the same boat, there's a f**king high chance that they're all doing it to some degree." Problem is most people would then go "more work? f**k that, I'm going to Brissy for titty shows." We'll be looked on as whiny Eels supporters, but seriously this should tell NRL there system is broke

Agreed. But what is alternative? As far as I can see, the only way to really cut down the rorts is to raise the cap significantly, thereby reducing the economic incentive to find additional payments.

I'd hate to think that other clubs would be dumb enough to play the alleged false invoicing game (which obviously didn't get picked up in the statutory audit either), but who knows.

Many years ago, I locked an auditor in a cupboard while I fixed a problem with our receivables system. He just thought I was being a dickhead rather than keeping him away from my computer.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Hey all, loooong time lurker that has visited this site for info and over the years!
Signed up a few years ago but never really joined in.

Like everyone else, totally gutted and angry by what happened yesterday, totally cynical about the timing of the NRL's findings, Greenburg's belief that all clubs are compliant, DF's involvement, and angry at the dumbass merkins that are responsible for this. That said, totally behind BA and the players!

On the topic of TPA's - if all clubs have to declare their TPA's then why don't the fans push for the NRL publish the dollar value of TPA's paid to the roster of each respective club? Not the individual players, of course, they're entitled to their privacy.

If the NRL thinks the competition is level wouldn't this be a away to a way to prove it?

Welcome, mate.

And good points.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
I have not heard anything about him being in the running. Just have had him mentioned to me as a good candidate. I know little about him apart from what Stagger already posted.

84 Baby

Referee
Agreed. But what is alternative? As far as I can see, the only way to really cut down the rorts is to raise the cap significantly, thereby reducing the economic incentive to find additional payments.

I'd hate to think that other clubs would be dumb enough to play the alleged false invoicing game (which obviously didn't get picked up in the statutory audit either), but who knows.

Many years ago, I locked an auditor in a cupboard while I fixed a problem with our receivables system. He just thought I was being a dickhead rather than keeping him away from my computer.
Someone who gets paid to do it should find a way to tweak their system. Doesn't even need to change salary cap, but if it's taking you 5 years to find a problem and only after being pointed directly at it then something needs to change.

And that was also my point, you wouldn't know if other clubs have/are also doing the fake invoice scam because it took someone within clubs to come out and say it. One club doesn't change anything, but 3 clubs in my book says everyone on balance of probability is guilty.

Gronk

Staff member
Hey all, loooong time lurker that has visited this site for info and over the years!

Like everyone else, totally gutted and angry by what happened yesterday, totally cynical about the timing of the NRL's findings, Greenburg's belief that all clubs are compliant, DF's involvement, and angry at the dumbass merkins that are responsible for this. That said, totally behind BA and the players!

On the topic of TPA's - if all clubs have to declare their TPA's then why don't the fans push for the NRL publish the dollar value of TPA's paid to the roster of each respective club? Not the individual players, of course, they're entitled to their privacy.

If the NRL thinks the competition is level wouldn't this be a away to a way to prove it?

Welcome you massive lurker you. Joined in 2005 but first post today ? :thumn

Agree with you. TPAs are a cluster f**k right now with the NRL pretending that they're under control.

84 Baby

Referee

More importantly what is your opinion on home gardens and the hu-man race?

Delboy

First Grade
Over the past 2 days I think my feelings reflect what a lot are thinking

Initially I was angry at the NRL and obviously the leakers who just want what they believes is their right, insert applicable name

Having said that, I am now getting pretty ticked off at the current officials who seem to be more interested in clearing their name than thinking where the club should go, time is crucial now . That may be harsh as their intention is possibly to fix what has gone down and show that their reign Is not entirely to blame ( if that's the case , we need to hope it's sooner rather than later)

I just want something cleared so the team and players can move forward and the season is not totally destroyed and we don't lose players that are needspd in 2017

Sharp will lose whatever support is remaining if things are not done quickly and explained thoroughly to the fans , the media and the NRL

ash411

Bench
It's kind of a pity, Andrew Hill's resume is pretty impressive.

He was working at Parra for 10 years from 99-09, so that tells the story right there.

Even if he was appointed that doesn't necessarily mean he'd do whatever DF told him to, particularly if he believes it isn't in the best interests of the club. Or maybe he would, no way to know for sure.

That's what going to suck now, we are going to suspect anyone who steps forward for any position in the club of having allegiances / being a puppet of someone or another.

It's going to be hard to fully trust anyone's motives.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
So I accept we have cheated in some capacity but apart from the NRL media release, is there anywhere to see the finer details of the breaches ?

Gronk

Staff member
Over the past 2 days I think my feelings reflect what a lot are thinking

Initially I was angry at the NRL and obviously the leakers who just want what they believes is their right, insert applicable name

Having said that, I am now getting pretty ticked off at the current officials who seem to be more interested in clearing their name than thinking where the club should go, time is crucial now . That may be harsh as their intention is possibly to fix what has gone down and show that their reign Is not entirely to blame ( if that's the case , we need to hope it's sooner rather than later)

I just want something cleared so the team and players can move forward and the season is not totally destroyed and we don't lose players that are needspd in 2017

Sharp will lose whatever support is remaining if things are not done quickly and explained thoroughly to the fans , the media and the NRL

Agree. I guess the Gang of Five have until Friday week to resign. Sooner the better really.

84 Baby

Referee
It's kind of a pity, Andrew Hill's resume is pretty impressive.

He was working at Parra for 10 years from 99-09, so that tells the story right there.

Even if he was appointed that doesn't necessarily mean he'd do whatever DF told him to, particularly if he believes it isn't in the best interests of the club. Or maybe he would, no way to know for sure.

That's what going to suck now, we are going to suspect anyone who steps forward for any position in the club of having allegiances / being a puppet of someone or another.

It's going to be hard to fully trust anyone's motives.
What we need is regardless whoever the merkin is, to be doing the job in the best interests of the club. f**k I'd take Spags as chairman, Fitzy as CEO & Sharp as football manager if I thought they could do their jobs to the best degree for the club

ash411

Bench
So I accept we have cheated in some capacity but apart from the NRL media release, is there anywhere to see the finer details of the breaches ?

I wouldn't hold your breath for those. The NRL aren't really big on releasing details like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts