What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK III

Status
Not open for further replies.

emjaycee

Coach
The NRL is asking for the club to admit guilt within 5 days. If the club admits guilt, on what grounds would the 5 board/executive have to appeal?

Didn't Greenburg say that the NRL would give us more time to go through the breach notice in detail if required?

Chipmunk

Coach
Here is the only real info we have seen so far about the report:

Garrard may not be very bright and simply doesn't understand the report details or it may just be possible the report is crap. If it is crap I hope we fight it !! Even if the 12 points is reduced to 10 or 8 will make a massive difference. Or the $570k is reduced.

Where was that quote from?

strider

Post Whore
No, they put known faces on tv advertising their brand with no affilitation shown to the club or the NRL, just like Billy Slater and Australian Banana's. Or they get them to speak at internal meetings and seminars about what it takes to be a top level athlete, or they sit them on their airplane, in their restaurant or somewhere that relates to using their product and film them thereby having the player promote their brand.

And in some cases, they do it because they support the club and recognise that TPA's are part of how a player gets paid and that clubs need help in doing this. Especially in the case where the company may not need/want direct publicity for the expense.

Dont get me wrong .. thats cool - i know there is some value in advertising with a celebrity .... but what is the true money value for alot of it? And what % of players can attract a TPA? I wouldnt think alot.

Chipmunk

Coach
Didn't Greenburg say that the NRL would give us more time to go through the breach notice in detail if required?

Not that I have seen, but he could have. I did witness him say however that the NRL will continue to investigate and may find more information and deliver further punishment and this was an opportunity for the club to tell it everything.

Last edited:

Chipmunk

Coach
Baz, I was just thinking the NRL wants us to make knee jerk reactions. What would be the NRL's motives for that????

Guys, let's face it. Not sure we will be getting cap compliant, unless a miracle happens re watmough. It's prolly best the board at least attempt to defend themselves, any means possible. I just think it was arrogant of the NRL not to meet up with the club last night.

They don't want this to drag on, nor the evidence be tested in the courts.

Sphagnum

Coach
This has now turned to into a negotiation between parramatta and the NRL. I imagine there will be an eleventh hour settlement to stop it going to court where things like illegally recorded board meetings become inadmissible as evidence.

I know everyone is frothing at the mouth about the GO5 but they aren't just battling for their reputations. If this was all 100% fact, they would have stood down immediately.

Th campaign to remove the board started in the media a long time ago. It has been dedicated and unscrupulous from the beginning with lots of rumours, innuendo and imagination. Its momentum has grown through this season culminating with the NRLs unprecedented decision to deregister several members of it.

What a wonderful stroke of luck for the antagonists...

This is all far from over.

Djay

Juniors
Last night Greenberg warned Parramatta with a real stern voice to "to think very carefully before your next decision".

I found that extremely interesting to be honest, if we believe we haven't been afforded a fair trial why do we have to think very carefully?

Is there something more to this all? Of course after he said that everyone is gonna jump on "get out of our club" bandwagon because his threat is obviously playing for no points so everyone starts jumping up
and down to get them out, exactly what he wants.

Ok, well I have now had some time to sit back, relax and look at things from a less emotional perspective and have concluded that yesterday the NRL made its greatest strategic move in its entire history. Here are my thoughts or theory on why I believe this to be so.

The NRL is unhappy with the current regime and the way they have operated the club, they've made no secret of this fact, so it was important to remove these people from the club. The NRL has got Parra for doing some dodgy things in relation to the salary cap, I've got no doubt about that, but what is the extent of this 'dodgy' behaviour?

Is it 25 fake invoices of just one?
Is it a cash payment to everyone in the top 25 of is it just Lee Mossop?
Have we procured Third Party Agreements for every player or is it just a Watmough and maybe one other?

At this stage, we don't really know and for the NRL's purpose of the offence of breaching the salary cap we really only have to have done it once to really be guilty of an offence. So the NRL uses it?s public statement to send a powerful message to the club. No one outside of the board really knows exactly the extent of the breach and even the board doesn?t probably know at this stage the strength of any evidence the NRL has actually got when they determined that breach. The board probably believes that the NRL hard evidence is bugger all, but they?ve still got something and really wants this evidence tested in a real court.

For whatever reason, as part of it's investigation the NRL makes a determination that all our TPA's are dodgy and not at arms length or whatever and they have to be now included in our salary cap. This is a key determination in all of this, as from what I understand, this particular determination is unprecedented at this level. The NRL had to know that this was a risky determination to make, as it is probably the only real reason that we now find ourselves over the cap for the 2016 season. It was risky because the NRL probably knows that if the club wanted to challenge this that there is a risk that the NRL could lose this aspect of the breach in court. My guess is that although the NRL is confident in their findings and with their evidence, they don?t really want to have this evidence tested in a court (for a multitude of reasons).

So the NRL sends the club a breach notice with a penalty that involves all our points so far, a pointless fine, which for an organisation that probably churns through the fine amount in the pokies every week, isn't going to lose much sleep over, but then also requests the removal of our current regime (key board/executive).

When they delivered the breach notice they informed the club that they can play for points once it is salary cap compliant, but this is also contingent on accepting the terms of the breach notice (accepting guilt, paying the fine, board/executive leave and getting under the cap). Now my guess here is that the NRL knew that we would become salary cap compliant before our next match before yesterday, as they were fully aware of the Watmough situation and they knew that Ryan Morgan had just departed the club last week, already freeing up some of that $570l. I'd be shocked if we need to do too much else player wise, except for maybe a player at the bottom end of the Top 25.

If the NRL had just excluded us from the Finals, it would have given the club time to analyse the entire breach notice and pick the eyes out of it legally and mount a legal challenge. But in making the decision that if we accept the breach notice and get under the cap (something they knew would happen within days) then this would give the Parramatta players and fans hope, excitement, and anticipation to move on for the future and mount a challenge to get into the Finals. The NRL knows that making the Finals will be tough and probably won?t be achieved, but if a salary cap compliant team can do it from here, who are they to stop them playing??

However, what this particular part of the NRL decision has also done has immediately turned the fans and the general rugby league public against the club?s board and executive who want to stick around and challenge the matter. 24 hours ago there was great animosity towards the NRL, but that sentiment appears to have grown to more of acceptance by the majority of the fan base to move on. They?ve played the We Want To Help and We Want You To Be Successful card to get the fans on board with their decision and even more turn the fans and eventually the playing group against the board/executive for them to put pressure on them just bugger off.

The NRL has put the club between a rock and a hard place - You either accept the decision within 5 days and move on and start again, or you fight it and play for nothing, knowing full well that the Parra club will consider challenging this matter in court. The club going to court might have a good legal argument, but there are no guarantees in a court situation. The NRL knows full well that a court would turn the outcome into a lottery and the NRL knows they need to nip it in the bud before it even gets started.

For an NRL Club, the Team and it?s fans are the most important part of it and at the end of the day, the Team will always win over the Administration from a fans point of view. The NRL knows that the Team and the fans will dictate to the club that it wants it?s chance to continue the season immediately.

As I said at the start, it is just my theory, but I think it?s close to the mark. You have to admire the NRL?s strategic nous on this one, they really outsmarted the club and will ultimately get what they want in the end.

This seems a distinct possibility to me.

The NRL are trying to ram this through, using the emotion of the fans regarding the 2016 season, hoping that in doing so they will get their way without any accountability.

I say f**k 'em.

At Friday's court case I would be testing whether withholding points based on board positions is legal (or whether the courts can even have a say in something like this) and then decide our next move based on that.

If it's legal, then the GO5 walk. End of story.

If it's not, then we strap up and go in for a fight.

The Watmough situation will resolve the cap compliance/points issue (if the payout is in excess of the breach) and we'll get our 12 points back. Then we fight every single TPA, every single point the NRL have raised, and beat the living shit out of them.

Yes, we cheated, it seems. But it also seems as if the punishment is significantly disproportionate to the crime, and the attempt to force a result on the back of fan emotions being held hostage disgusts me.

Let's not roll over. Let's not curl into a ball and cry. I say we fight if there's a fight to be had.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Greenburg is very deliberate when he continually refers to the findings/charges as being preliminary to ensure due process is followed. How the hell can the Eels accomodate this due process while the accursers and being forced to stand down then being made to seek a court injunction to action said due process? Guilty or not, this must be restricting due process. I would think a decent lawer would love argueing all this.
In my mind the NRL do not want the facts made public. They just want to make a statement without repercussions.
Regardless, once the findings are agreed too I believe its best for our club if the Hateful 5 ride off into the sunset as the media would never allow them to continue in their jobs.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
It seem all the allegations against were leaked to the media but which ones were serious enough for our current issues?

- payment to Mossop
- Watmough matter
- inflated invoices, this is huge issue but how much was it ? $100k, not good or $500k f**ken cheating big time ?

If most of the report is around allegations of negotiating TPA (not paying them), the NRL should really have a good think if they want to push this matter as all clubs do this.

We really need to see more details

phantom eel

First Grade
The NRL "Campaign" isn't to get rid of th eBoard, it's to get rid of thre specific directors. That leaves 4 - a majority of the elected Board - still abole to operate, perahps with an additional NRL appointee (which seems like a good idea).

The four remaining directors need to step up in this next week and take control of the ship, as it's clear that if the other thre battle on with court etc, then their focus won't be on what they're meant to be doing in their roles for the club... they will be focused on their court case (note I said "their" not "our", as our club's interest is getting within the cap and playing for points again).

We need Gadiel, Garrard, Gerard and Cordwell to get together on the same page and ready to steer this thing from next week imo, once BA and Schubert has us under the cap again (with as little deference to the other 3). Their futures (at Parra, and in any other roles) may depend on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts