What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK III

Status
Not open for further replies.

strider

Post Whore
Why couldn't they organise TPA's legally??? They can help get player and sponsor together just not deal the deal so to speak.Why were they so inept they had to cheat??? Parra are a massive brand with some very marketable players, we had Hayne, now we have blokes like Foz, and Normy and the biggest cult hero in the game in Semi. Don't tell me there aren't sponsors lined up to throw some money his way.

But instead they committed fraud, don't tell me it was for the good of the team and players it was to keep them in power. We all know Spags was a slimy crook and we all know dodgy shit was probably going on but at least they had the good sense to bury the skeletons in the closet. Not right them in the f**king mins, I'm sick of all the buck passing and bullshit. Someone has to put their hand up and say enough is enough. Instead they continually blame others.

Im not convinced the belief that "legit" TPAs just fall from the sky is correct.

Im not convinced that all clubs are doing things within the rules ... one of the biggest names in nrl club management has all but admitted it.

I think anyone who thinks we could assemble the competative squad we have now without fudging is delusional

Incorrect

Coach
AS per the article linked a few pages back about Schubert, more particularly his decision to let the Boncos have Lockyer on the books at Brisbane for $250K....

I wonder if we'd be allowed to sign a certain NFL hopeful if he doesn't make the cut for their next season, for the same amount - he is one bloke that would have no shortage of TPA clients ready to sign him up and supplement his income 10-fold.... the club wouldn't have to get within a bulls roar of the TPA, let alone arms length!

Nearly time for a 2017 team list thread!! I'll start....

1. NFL Hopeful
2. Semi
3. Izzy Folau (will come back once mickey mouse rugby 7's at Olympics is over)
4. Jennings
5. Guffo
6. Norman
7. Foran

Someone make a forward pack....

Last edited:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I seriously don't think the 5 won't stand down, I think it's more what Barry has been suggesting not rushing into making a decision.

. On Tuesday night the Supreme Court of NSW issued an injunction against the NRL, which will permit the directors and officers of the club to carry out their duties until a hearing next week.
“The board was left exposed. We have 100 employees needing direction every day,” Mr Garrard said.

“This will give us time to get appropriate personnel in to run the club, get a team on the field, and analyse the documents provided to us.”

Mr Garrard said he believes all accusations of wrongdoing date back to actions of previous board members.

The 5 could have just stood down on Tuesday afo but then what ? No CEO no chairman no footy director, two less durectors?

Let's hope they are just working out how to approach matter

Avenger

Immortal
They are not being asked to 'stand down' in the sense of being 'suspended' while an investigation takes place (that would be fine). They are being asked to resign.

The NRL are trying to force the club into making a rushed response a pretty comprehensive set of allegations, and in the process reducing the chance that any errors in the breach notice will be successfully challenged. That is fundamentally wrong and unjust. We can easily make knee jerk reactions here that will have very long-term ramifications.

I haven't watched the full media briefing but I get you now. You have some valid points as always my friend.

Parra

Referee
I don't believe that any TPA is 'legit'. The parties don't usually make any records of how the TPA's fall from the sky. But that they do fall from the sky is what we are being asked to believe.

Chipmunk

Coach
They are not being asked to 'stand down' in the sense of being 'suspended' while an investigation takes place (that would be fine). They are being asked to resign.

The NRL are trying to force the club into making a rushed response a pretty comprehensive set of allegations, and in the process reducing the chance that any errors in the breach notice will be successfully challenged. That is fundamentally wrong and unjust. We can easily make knee jerk reactions here that will have very long-term ramifications.

I have to say I think 5 days for mine is an unreasonable time period in which to respond fully to the allegations.

strider

Post Whore
Why couldn't they organise TPA's legally??? They can help get player and sponsor together just not deal the deal so to speak.Why were they so inept they had to cheat??? Parra are a massive brand with some very marketable players, we had Hayne, now we have blokes like Foz, and Normy and the biggest cult hero in the game in Semi. Don't tell me there aren't sponsors lined up to throw some money his way.

But instead they committed fraud, don't tell me it was for the good of the team and players it was to keep them in power. We all know Spags was a slimy crook and we all know dodgy shit was probably going on but at least they had the good sense to bury the skeletons in the closet. Not right them in the f**king mins, I'm sick of all the buck passing and bullshit. Someone has to put their hand up and say enough is enough. Instead they continually blame others.

Im not sure Normy and Semi are as valuable as they seem - maybe in eels fans blue and gold eyes.... semi can barely string a sentence together

What will all these companies be getting in return? .... what is the money value on it? ... what will they have to do in return for that money?

I haven't watched the full media briefing but I get you now. You have some valid points as always my friend.

No worries mate. And should I emphasize, that whatever we are shown to have done deserves punishment (and 12 points might be quite a light punishment in the end). But the process should be fair, and should allow those accused reasonable time to and scope to respond to allegations against them.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Here is the only real info we have seen so far about the report:

Mr Garrard said he believes the current Parramatta Eels squad is within the 2016 cap, speculating whether the figure was a cumulative total from previous seasons before his time on the board.
He likened the report to a jigsaw puzzle and said the club still does not know the specifics of the allegations against them.

Garrard may not be very bright and simply doesn't understand the report details or it may just be possible the report is crap. If it is crap I hope we fight it !! Even if the 12 points is reduced to 10 or 8 will make a massive difference. Or the $570k is reduced.

Parra

Referee
Im not sure Normy and Semi are as valuable as they seem - maybe in eels fans blue and gold eyes.... semi can barely string a sentence together

What will all these companies be getting in return? .... what is the money value on it? ... what will they have to do in return for that money?

We are supposed to believe that companies will hand money directly to players and have no expectations of anything in return.

It is what they do in companies.

Kornstar

Coach
No worries mate. And should I emphasize, that whatever we are shown to have done deserves punishment (and 12 points might be quite a light punishment in the end). But the process should be fair, and should allow those accused reasonable time to and scope to respond to allegations against them.

Barry, are you a hippy do gooding lawyer or something? You are so fair to everyone and really care about people's rights, even severe criminals.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I was given mail last night that the chances are we won't be releasing anyone... and part of the reason is laughable, actually 2 parts of the reason.

Are you saying the reason we won't release anyone is laughable ? Or
The reason we are over the cap is laughable ?

Kornstar

Coach
Here is the only real info we have seen so far about the report:

Garrard may not be very bright and simply doesn't understand the report details or it may just be possible the report is crap. If it is crap I hope we fight it !! Even if the 12 points is reduced to 10 or 8 will make a massive difference. Or the $570k is reduced.

I've read reports like these and I think they are supposed to be jigsaw puzzles. They are like essays where they want you to repeat yourself over and over for some stupid f**king reason!

Just write it once in plain English FFS!!!

Chipmunk

Coach
Absolutely, but just because they have been remanded without bail doesn't mean they cannot mount a defence.

The NRL doesn't want them in a position of being able to do further 'damage' (in the eyes of the NRL) while they mount that defence - just like I don't want an accused murderer walking the streets until his day in court. And no I am not comparing the crimes, just giving an example.

The NRL is asking for the club to admit guilt within 5 days. If the club admits guilt, on what grounds would the 5 board/executive have to appeal?

emjaycee

Coach
We are supposed to believe that companies will hand money directly to players and have no expectations of anything in return.

It is what they do in companies.

No, they put known faces on tv advertising their brand with no affilitation shown to the club or the NRL, just like Billy Slater and Australian Banana's. Or they get them to speak at internal meetings and seminars about what it takes to be a top level athlete, or they sit them on their airplane, in their restaurant or somewhere that relates to using their product and film them thereby having the player promote their brand.

And in some cases, they do it because they support the club and recognise that TPA's are part of how a player gets paid and that clubs need help in doing this. Especially in the case where the company may not need/want direct publicity for the expense.

Chipmunk

Coach
Agree. I see no reason why the injunction should not be extended so that the "punishment" is not applied until such time that we have a fair hearing. The whole "get under the cap and resign or you'll play for no points" does not offer a presumption of innocence. Our society bases itself on a fair legal system of to "prove all elements of the offense (generally beyond a reasonable doubt) and to disprove all the defenses". I don't think we have been afforded that.

I'm thinking this is the next move from the board.

To be honest I am not totally convinced that the Parra v Souths match will still be played on it's scheduled date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts