What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK III

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantom eel

First Grade
Were the other board members not at the meeting?

Did they not ratify the minutes at the next board meeting?
Do you think every Board meeting discussed every contract and TPA that Seward was randomly offering? The NRL has decided that 3 of the 7 directors were involved/aware... it has expressed no issues with the remaining 4 members, who should now be allowed to get on with the job.

The penalty is very specific. The allegations and evidence are not. Do you think it is acceptable to just go on Greenberg's say-so?
There is a 60 page breach notice - I'd say that's very specific, and would contain allegations and evidence. The club has 5 days to respond (after being part of a two month investigation), and then the named 5 should stand down while the NRL makes it's determination - as is normal practice when any investigation (internal or external suggests an employee or director engaged in misconduct.

If the named 5 want to challenge (personally, not at club's expense) the NRL's eventual determination they can then do so - but not imo while they are helping the club prepare its response, and not at the cost of the team earning competition points while their grievance drags on.

It's simple really. We have a League Club CEO (Bevan Paul?) and four directors (Gerard, Gadiel, Garrard, Cordwell) untouched by this saga - they can now cooperate with the NRL, and steer to club to support BA and the team get under the cap and play for points - and maybe, maybe even win 12 from 15 to make the semis :D

emjaycee

Coach
All I know about why a company would offer TPA's is the approach I would use for my company.
If I was an airline, I would put Semi on a plane and film him flying home to Fiji on my airline, then I would use this as part of my advertising where Semi's name and face were recognisable.
If I owned a restaurant, I would have him eating a juicy steak...
If I sold mobile phones I would have him using one of my phones...

My business is selling to government so not a lot of advantage in me sponsoring the Eels with my name on their jerseys, or a sign at Pirtek yet I want to help the club and reckon $x is the amount I can afford. So, I arrange a TPA for say, Daniel Alvaro who I know the club want to retain and my $x comes off his re-negotiated package under the cap and he stays with the Eels.

So in some cases TPA's can be good business and in other cases they are definitely philanthropic. Either way, a club needs to have these type of companies available to it and willing to stump up $.

One other thing, in case anyone who is actually involved in this thing is reading...

I don't remember seeing anything released by the NRL regarding the GO5 needing to step down before we can play for points again.

In their release on Tuesday, the NRL specifically referred only to cap compliance in relation to the accrual of points.

As such, I think this is a new, ad hoc condition that has been thrown out there by the NRL to cover their arses once they realised they screwed up by trying to force the GO5 to resign.

I'd be challenging this in court tomorrow in an attempt to wipe away that impediment to accrual/return of points.

phantom eel

First Grade
To get under the cap could we extend say norman and Peats contract allowing us to alter the amount for this year? I know you can't just re-negotiatiate an existing contract but you can do it if you extend a contract
I believe so... a little bit of backending never hurt anyone (too much).

It would have to be part of an overall proposal to the NRL demonstrating our cap compliance to them before it could be offered though, and then the player concerned would have to agree.

Sphagnum

Coach
Just remember that every article you read, journalist/commentator you listen to tomorrow will be speaking to the same agenda before you swallow their load as fact.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We lose any of those blokes our season is f**ked anyway. Then it will impact on future seasons, I'd rather play for nothing then cost us a top quality player and hurt future seasons.

Nah we cheated hineyrulz, and we need to take our f**ken medicine. This is an illegally assembled team and we deserve to lose some of your favourite players.

Isn't that right smartarse?

Parra

Referee
Do you think every Board meeting discussed every contract and TPA that Seward was randomly offering? The NRL has decided that 3 of the 7 directors were involved/aware... it has expressed no issues with the remaining 4 members, who should now be allowed to get on with the job.

There is a 60 page breach notice - I'd say that's very specific, and would contain allegations and evidence. The club has 5 days to respond (after being part of a two month investigation), and then the named 5 should stand down while the NRL makes it's determination - as is normal practice when any investigation (internal or external suggests an employee or director engaged in misconduct.

If the named 5 want to challenge (personally, not at club's expense) the NRL's eventual determination they can then do so - but not imo while they are helping the club prepare its response, and not at the cost of the team earning competition points while their grievance drags on.

It's simple really. We have a League Club CEO (Bevan Paul?) and four directors (Gerard, Gadiel, Garrard, Cordwell) untouched by this saga - they can now cooperate with the NRL, and steer to club to support BA and the team get under the cap and play for points - and maybe, maybe even win 12 from 15 to make the semis :D

The suggestion is that the recorded board meetings are the smoking gun.

If not, and none of this was at board level then fair enough. There may be serious oversight problems - different issue.

Are you suggesting the recorded board meetings aren't relevant and that the board members not threatened with deregistration and replacement with a puppet from HQ were not aware of any of what is being alleged?

If it is 60 pages of the same waffle that Greenberg has spouted so far then it would be pointless going through it.

Djay

Juniors
To get under the cap could we extend say norman and Peats contract allowing us to alter the amount for this year? I know you can't just re-negotiatiate an existing contract but you can do it if you extend a contract

If the 5 stood down tomorrow I would put good money on it we would be cap compliant by tomorrow afternoon.

Chipmunk

Coach

What grounds would the 5 named have to challenge the NRL's determination if they have admitted guilt?

phantom eel

First Grade
One other thing, in case anyone who is actually involved in this thing is reading...

I don't remember seeing anything released by the NRL regarding the GO5 needing to step down before we can play for points again.
It may not have been in the press release, but could well have been in the 60 page breach notice. The NRL was quoted in the media about in subsequent to their presser.

The current court case isn't seking the return of any points - I don't know where you get that idea HJ? It's simply trying to save the named five from deregistration.... Any thought to how (or if) the club can argue for the return of points can only commence after the NRL makes its final determination - which will only occur after it considers the club's resposne, which we currently have 5 days to make.

The court case seems to be fighting the (personal) penalty (against the named 5, not teh club) before the penalty is actually handed down, rather than focusing the club on how we get within the NRL salary cap so the team can start earning new points next Friday (and the week after that, and the week after that) .

phantom eel

First Grade
What grounds would the 5 named have to challenge the NRL's determination if they have admitted guilt?
Ceasing the current court action isn't admitting guilt. The process is for the club to make its response to the NRL breach notice within 5 days. The NRL will then determine what it believes and confirm the penalty - which may (or may not) change slightly as a result of the club's submission.

If the NRL is still recommending the 5 be deregistered after that, and if the 5 wish to (personally) fight it to determin innocence or guilt, then good luck to them.

But once BA and Schubert get us under the capin the next week (with Watmough cap exempt this should be relatively easy), and the CLub has made its submission in response to the BReach Notice then the 5 have no right to prevent our team from earning points simply while they pursue their personal reinstatement... put the Club first, Team second, and individuals last.

Barry, are you a hippy do gooding lawyer or something? You are so fair to everyone and really care about people's rights, even severe criminals.

:)

I'm not a hippy, though the idea does appeal to me sometimes (one of my mates packed everything in and moved to Byron about 8 years ago and loves it). I'm an accountant/ financial services guy by trade with a fair bit of legal involved, but I don't work much in that area any more. I simply believe in natural justice. And I think a lot of you blokes would too, if you found yourself on the wrong end of other peoples 'convenient' decisions.

The point here is that we don't know that someone is a 'severe criminal' until they've had the chance to respond to allegations against them. After that, we can pull their arms off for all I care :)

phantom eel

First Grade
If the 5 stood down tomorrow I would put good money on it we would be cap compliant by tomorrow afternoon.
I thing the cap thing is easier than some media articles have made out. If Watmough's 2016 salary is exempt, we may even be able to do it with some backended contract extensions for a couple of key players who are off contract (e.g. Norman and/or Peats), without shedding any players....

Incorrect

Coach
And while on this, why were Seward an Irvine sacked? If they were part of the systematic corrupt system would it not have been best to keep them in the family?
I also dont understand our board continually stating they were cooperating to which Greenburg states categorically that they wernt. Dumb or not, matters such as these dont make sense.
And why was BA locked away with Shoey working through Salary Cap issues yesterday? Is this a result of Shoey not finding said allegations? So many unknowns but here is your penalty guys. Do whats right. Bend over and take it like a man.

I can't figure this one out either... On the one hand we've got DA calling a halt to the registering of the contract Seward negotiated with Foran's mgmt with the NRL last year because it had so many clauses in it that it would potentially cripple us cap wise in future (ie we pay him 1 million to walk away any time he wants to). There's also Hoppa's contract which Seward negotiated initially did he not, that seemed heavily balanced in the players favour to the detriment of our future cap mgmt.

Between DA and Seward, one seems to have acted with a modicum of salary cap restraint and diligence, one seems to have gone completely rogue and perhaps even quite mad!

strider

Post Whore
How many players are??? But other clubs have no trouble doing it, sure I doubt all clubs and TPA's are legal. But most clubs aren't run by incompetent fools who would be out of their depth in a wading pool.

I will be honest, you are one of the people i dont understand. You will throw shit at the broncos, roosters etc for being cheating merkins ... but then next post you will say stuff about how they are doing it properly ..... ummm nah, they are doing it too.

Im not saying there is no legit TPA but i dont think they are as plentiful and as lucritive as people like yourself believe

Djay

Juniors
I thing the cap thing is easier than some media articles have made out. If Watmough's 2016 salary is exempt, we may even be able to do it with some backended contract extensions for a couple of key players who are off contract (e.g. Norman and/or Peats), without shedding any players....

Exactly my point, players don't need to be shed to become cap compliant again.

That I truly believe in.

Chipmunk

Coach
Ceasing the current court action isn't admitting guilt. The process is for the club to make its response to the NRL breach notice within 5 days. The NRL will then determine what it believes and confirm the penalty - which may (or may not) change slightly as a result of the club's submission.

If the NRL is still recommending the 5 be deregistered after that, and if the 5 wish to (personally) fight it to determin innocence or guilt, then good luck to them.

But once BA and Schubert get us under the capin the next week (with Watmough cap exempt this should be relatively easy), and the CLub has made its submission in response to the BReach Notice then the 5 have no right to prevent our team from earning points simply while they pursue their personal reinstatement... put the Club first, Team second, and individuals last.

The club needs to accept the findings of the breach notice and get under the cap in order to recommence playing for competition points. Accepting the findings of the breach notice is an admission of guilt.

phantom eel

First Grade
So in some cases TPA's can be good business and in other cases they are definitely philanthropic. Either way, a club needs to have these type of companies available to it and willing to stump up $.
I take it that even the philanthropic TPAs can be somehow tax deductable... and hence good business as well? (Not that I know anything about business tax deductions at all...)

strider

Post Whore
All I know about why a company would offer TPA's is the approach I would use for my company.
If I was an airline, I would put Semi on a plane and film him flying home to Fiji on my airline, then I would use this as part of my advertising where Semi's name and face were recognisable.
If I owned a restaurant, I would have him eating a juicy steak...
If I sold mobile phones I would have him using one of my phones...

My business is selling to government so not a lot of advantage in me sponsoring the Eels with my name on their jerseys, or a sign at Pirtek yet I want to help the club and reckon $x is the amount I can afford. So, I arrange a TPA for say, Daniel Alvaro who I know the club want to retain and my $x comes off his re-negotiated package under the cap and he stays with the Eels.

The $ values i have seen thrown around in the media for our dodgy TPAs are max $20-30k. I know if they were plentiful they would all add up. But i just dont see how it will all come up to near millions of dollars for every club.I reckon a media TPA might be lucrative. But the average player wont get anywhere near one of them.

We have been a cellar dwelling one man team for many years. Who other than hayne would most companies want to put their money on? The new squad, maybe Semi has a niche market, Foran is a well spoken fella. Who else could attract more than a drop in the ocean of a nrl contract? I love beau scott as a parra player but he's a mad merkin with evil death stares.

Fui Fighters

Juniors
A quick check on linkedin shows Bernie Gurr (Sterlos Suggested solution ) to be a contact of Glen Greenberg ( Todds Brother ).
It is no coincidence that Todd and Sterlo are in contact with discussions as to the best way forward. He may not do the job himself, but he sure as hell is working through a process to get a best outcome for the club he loves. Keep it up Sterlo. Any input he gives is and always has been a benefit to this club, however limited it may have been.
I for one am in agreeance with him. The Greenberg family have business acumen and smarts. There is no point swimming against the tide that is the NRL and Media.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts