What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a massive stretch. It's club money making it way to club staff (players) through an outside party. There's no loss of funds as it was the club doing it with their own money. Unless they're seriously going to try and pin it on one person and try and have him cop it all. Which I seriously doubt will fly. All that person needs to show is that they had approval from the board, which transcripts seem to indicate.

So the victim of it would be the other 15 clubs? (this is essentially challenging the salary cap itself) There would be no way in hell to prove that the breaches made had even a minute impact on the competition other than the image of integrity. Especially considering other variables that there are already, legally, affecting the competitions outcome.

Besides, there are far more expensive frauds going on in the business world. The fraud squad already have their hands full with the massive increase in frauds going on with real people as victims, not the integrity of a sporting competition. Especially when there's a governing body (NRL) that can adjudicate it.

This isn't a criminal matter. I can see the ATO and the Gaming and Licensing Authority taking a bit of an interest, but there's nothing here that should be investigated for a criminal offence.

OK. I once more stand corrected by another great legal mind. I give up.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I think there is no doubt that the GO5 unearthed massive shit and chose to try and fix it without reporting it. So dodgy TPAs to be replaced by legit ones etc. Yes they shoukd have reported it.

Their plan was that by 2016 all the books woukd be sweet and compliant. What they didn't count on was a rat in the ranks.
No Doubt??? Lol do you work for the Telecrap??? ;-)

call me cynical but i doubt the people raising inflated invoices would be doing it out of the kindness of their hearts if they are cutting off a tax free slice for themselves that's fraud

84 Baby

Referee
Really? It is still potentially misappropriation of leagues club funds. Knowingly entering into an arrangement where inflated invoices are going to be generated and paid could certainly result in charges. And, if allegedly cheating the cap in the manner described above gives one club a greater chance of winning the premiership than if they hadn't cheated, what does that do other club's chances of winning the premiership? If I use deception to rig a lottery draw in my favour, have I not harmed the interests of the other people who bought tickets?

It may all come to nothing, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

As Gronk says above, more a concern for the individuals involved than the club going forward.
It's barely even misappropriation unless you say Sharp & Daniel Harrison are besties. And comparing defrauding a skilled competition to a lottery is wrong.
It's definitely a matter for OLGA & the membership but there's still the ATO & civil courts before this comes close to being a police matter

84 Baby

Referee
call me cynical but i doubt the people raising inflated invoices would be doing it out of the kindness of their hearts if they are cutting off a tax free slice for themselves that's fraud
Realistically they should be including inflated invoice as income & 'TPA' payment as expense. In and out so no benefit to third party for tax. In fact by raising their turnover it may be detrimental to them. ATO wouldn't be impressed but they're no worse of so they'd just issue penalties and be done with it
If they were to give those figures to a lending or insurance agency, then that's where they may be guilty of fraud

Gronk

Staff member
It's barely even misappropriation unless you say Sharp & Daniel Harrison are besties. And comparing defrauding a skilled competition to a lottery is wrong.
It's definitely a matter for OLGA & the membership but there's still the ATO & civil courts before this comes close to being a police matter

Even using funds for player retention is not a bad thing. They are entitled to do this under the constitution. So the end result is not bad, just the covert way that they may have gone about it. False invoices are certainly a no no and they will get hung out to dry for that.

OLGA will certainly take a dim view and no doubt the GO5 will be deemed "unable to hold office" like Spags was IIRC.

I honestly think all the wonderful transcripts revealed was that seward was the dude who did it all - possibly on the advice of his now high ranking friend

The 5 merkins are guilty of not reporting it to the NRL and gross neglect letting him do it without knowing until afterwards

I find it interesting even this article wont name Seward ... how f**kin protected is he?

He shouldn't be protected neither should the morons that hired him. f**king negligent!!!!

El Diablo

Post Whore
It's funny that you believe the media when you want to, use their articles when you want to... When it suits you. Then you cry when they bag the plumber, crying how life is so unfair lol.... f**king hypocrite merkin.

are they saying nasty things about your boy Roy?

#saveourspags

Gronk

Staff member
It's funny that you believe the media when you want to, use their articles when you want to... When it suits you. Then you cry when they bag the plumber, crying how life is so unfair lol.... f**king hypocrite merkin.

Wrong again Amigo.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Wrong again Amigo.
Maybe not cry but make yourself look stupid continually making excuses from them.

6 year old articles telling us something we all knew, spags is a doggy merkin. Well hold the phone thanks for that news flash.

#plumberranger4lyf!!

Gronk

Staff member
Maybe not cry but make yourself look stupid continually making excuses from them.

6 year old articles telling us something we all knew, spags is a doggy merkin. Well hold the phone thanks for that news flash.

#plumberranger4lyf!!

Ok put up or shut up. Link me where I have made excuses for them. :roll:

#3amigos

Chipmunk

Coach
Really? It is still potentially misappropriation of leagues club funds. Knowingly entering into an arrangement where inflated invoices are going to be generated and paid could certainly result in charges. And, if allegedly cheating the cap in the manner described above gives one club a greater chance of winning the premiership than if they hadn't cheated, what does that do other club's chances of winning the premiership? If I use deception to rig a lottery draw in my favour, have I not harmed the interests of the other people who bought tickets?

It may all come to nothing, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

As Gronk says above, more a concern for the individuals involved than the club going forward.

An entity cannot commit fraud, only individuals. I doubt there will be any issue for the club going forward whatsoever, as all the perpetrators will be gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts