What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm just thrilled, f**k you are a complete knobend, tell us all again how it's us fans and the members fault.

Tell us all it's the league's clubs fault, because it sells evil alcohol and has gambling.

Thus the reason we can't get any decent sponsors :lol: Doesn't seem to hurt the dogs who have probably the biggest Leagues club in Sydney.Nothing to do with the fact they don't have a plumber and used car salesman running the joint...............

So why do the Dogs get good boards while we don't? Whatever you think the answer is I will ask why. Eventually you'll have to admit the problem is our Leagues Club membership.

Dibs

Bench
But the point was - had the Storm been allowed to play in the Finals in 2010, how would you have felt?

Personally, I'd have felt the integrity of the competition was tarnished, and as unbiased as I am trying to be, I'd feel the same if we made the 8 this year.

After all, what better way to punish a club than to say they cannot win the Premiership?

More importantly - fans and officials of other clubs would not have been happy allowing Melbourne to be successful after cheating.

And I think we're in a similar boat - I strongly believe our season is dusted, regardless of shedding players.

This is how I feel about it. I mean the eel in me wants us to be able to win it but if I was being impartial I would say no. I don't blame the nrl it was our board that did the wrong thing but I do think the nrl is wrong in dangling this carrot in front of us which I believe they are only doing for the benefit of crowds and ratings. Having said that if we somehow against the odds pulled it off ill be ecstatic. I still believe though if we make the 8 the nrl will pull out something else to strip us of more points

Chipmunk

Coach
So why do the Dogs get good boards while we don't? Whatever you think the answer is I will ask why. Eventually you'll have to admit the problem is our Leagues Club membership.

Yet the Dogs have the same type of Leagues Club membership ownership structure.

Unless your suggesting that one group of Leagues Club Members, is dramatically different than the group of Leagues Club members, 10 kms down the road?

natheel

Coach
Ok so question

With Choc, Morgs and possibly peats going who from outside the top 25 comes in? Obviously Toutai for Morgan, who else? Nelson and Cornish/King?

yy_cheng

Coach
Parramatta Eels can make the top eight if they're playing for NRL competition points on Friday night

FACEBOOK SHARE

TWITTER TWEET

EMAIL

MORE
Phil Gould May 10 2016 - 9:12PM
Phil Gould
Assuming that the Parramatta Eels are salary-cap compliant and playing for competition points by the time they take on South Sydney on Friday night, I honestly think they can still make a serious challenge for a top-eight position by the time September comes around. Most experts are saying they will have to win 12 of the remaining 15 games to make the play-offs. A 50per cent win ratio usually gets your team into the finals. However, when you consider that after nine rounds 10 NRL clubs have only won four matches, it wouldn't be all that surprising to see 11 wins as the cut-off point for 2016, provided you have a strong for-and-against differential. Look also at Parramatta's draw for the remaining 15 games. In order, they play South Sydney, Storm, Knights, Titans, South Sydney again, Sharks, Roosters, Panthers, Titans again, Tigers, Sea Eagles, Broncos, Raiders, Dragons and Warriors. How many games did you have them winning as you went through the list? Despite the fact they look like losing hooker Nathan Peats due to salary cap reasons, it is still a very strong Parramatta team and they are more than capable of beating every opposition they play between now and the end of the home-and-away season. I'm not writing off the Parramatta Eels at all.
http://beta.smh.com.au/rugby-league...n-points-on-friday-night-20160510-gos01x.html

Last edited:

Dibs

Bench
Ok so question

With Choc, Morgs and possibly peats going who from outside the top 25 comes in? Obviously Toutai for Morgan, who else? Nelson and Cornish/King?

It depends on who the next higher paid players are and if they are paid more than what we have to contribute towards those 3 salaries for the year

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
:lol:

The Jennings deal does look to be the one that put us in cap danger... We didn't really need him this year - so what if we lost Hoppa, we still had Morgs - and so should have let the Roosters rot in their troubles and signed up Jennings from the next year. We were just greedy, and incompentent :(.

I thought the Jennings signing seemed excessive, but the fans were desperate for another world class outside back. Anyway I trust the coach to pick the players he wants.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So would you be happy if Peats turned around tomorrow and said he doesn't intend on going anywhere for the remainder of the season?

Absof**kinglutely! I love every win, whether it's for points or not. It would suck to miss the finals, but I'd rather miss the finals due to a points penalty than miss out because we didn't win enough games. See Avenger's sig.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yet the Dogs have the same type of Leagues Club membership ownership structure.

Unless your suggesting that one group of Leagues Club Members, is dramatically different than the group of Leagues Club members, 10 kms down the road?

Results over the past three decades would support this assessment.

hindmarshisgod

Juniors
Why do the nrl only take our points but not our for and against??

What if we scrape in the 8 by our f/a with a portion of that while we were cheating.

Its just so bloody stupid and i dont know if the nrl are any dopier than our board.

Im still very excited.

yy_cheng

Coach
Why do the nrl only take our points but not our for and against??

What if we scrape in the 8 by our f/a with a portion of that while we were cheating.

Its just so bloody stupid and i dont know if the nrl are any dopier than our board.

Im still very excited.

They cant put us on 0 because that's better than alot of teams.

They maybe should put as 1 less than the worse For and Against

Chipmunk

Coach
I thought the Jennings signing seemed excessive, but the fans were desperate for another world class outside back. Anyway I trust the coach to pick the players he wants.

I doubt were paying Jennings $570k from our own salary cap this season, so Jennings signing was irrelevant to the cap breach. The only thing relevant to the cap breach is that the NRL determined that all out TPAs must now be included in the cap (around 700ks worth apparently), including more than likely probably Jennings TPAs that was organised for him whilst he was still playing for the Roosters!

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So nevertheless..a League Club structure is not the issue then if the Dogs can be successful with the same structure.

So it must just be our Leagues Club structure? How do you think we can get better candidates for the board, given they must be members?

Stagger eel

Staff member
I think to be balanced and fair, it would seem likely that Stuart got the go ahead (and any the necessary financial assurances etc) to embark on his cutting deadwood exercise from his mate Spags, at least one month in advance of announcing his conclusions to the squad via projector... which would also have been (naively) supported from there by a newly elected Sharp.

Both administrations/boards hold blame - the one where the seeds for all of this were sown (Osborne, Kearney, Stuart etc), and the one where the seeds bloomed (Seward etc).

Wrong, I heard recently that 'projector gate' was instructed and demanded by Ken Edwards, this came from an ex employee at the club.

Avenger

Immortal
This is interesting:

Is it more than just price? Is he worth $500k? Just playing devils advocate. Was posted originally on Phil's site. I've cooled off now. I think it's worth a look.'

nathan peats 2016 stats
tries 1 , try assists 0
line breaks 1, line break assists 0
average runs per game 6 at 9m per run
average 45 tackles with average 2 missed tackles

robbie farah 2016
tries 0, try assists 0
line breaks 2, line break assists 2
average runs per game 7.2 at 10m per run
averages 40 tackles with 0.8 missed tackles

jake friend 2016
tries 1, try assists 8