What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Who knows what the calculations are .... but lets run with these .... Choc (remaining $300k included in our cap) and Peats ($150k) is still top 25 money - so not replaced by 3 players, only 1 for morgan

Which would mean we are back to playing with 22 or 23 players for the remainder of the year, a poor run of injuries or suspensions could see our 2nd tier cap sorely tested, as has been the case in the past.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
As a non Eels fan I think you guys, as fans, got a lot of sympathy from the non Eels fans, but seriously you are not doing yourselves any favours by living in denial.

Your club have been involved in serious breaches of the salary cao, amounting to cheating for want of a better word, and you guys as fans need to accept it and not continue with the bullshit victim status.

Seriously your club need's to get it's house in order and the fans need to accept the short term pain which will follow from what your club has been guilty of.

The club had abused or cheated the salary cap when you went out there and recruited Foran, Scott, Gordon and then Jennings so don't abuse the good will from the majority of non Eels fans because the sympathy will run dry very soon.

This is spot on.

Gronk

Staff member
It's correct in part, but to be fair we have been hit will allegations. Some may be true and others not.

So the extent of the breaches and the label that merkins attach to it, viz "cheating" or "stupidity" or incompetence" should happen down the track because ATM it's speculation only.

Everyone is entitled to the presumption of innocence and an opportunity to present their case. Obviously we have been forced to shed players and then plea our case. It's a bit upside down and wrong way around for me TBH.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Ok then, Gronk. Stick a couple of 'allegedly's in his post then.

Doesnt change what he was saying and the fact that he was spot on.

Last edited:

Noise

Coach
As you can see from this article "However the Eels also have another deadline ? on June 3 ? to respond to the original breach notices handed down by the governing body for alleged salary cap rorts last week.

And if they aren?t cap compliant by then, the NRL could look at offloading players for them.

?They can play until the final determination is made in early June. That?s when we can make some steps,? an NRL spokesperson told AAP."

So there shouldnt be anymore talk about lets not play for points because if we are not under the cap they will take the sword to the club.So yes we needed to offload peats and even if its the case we have to offload another better that BA chooses then the NRL.
http://www.sportsnews.com.au/nrl/nrl-to-force-eels-hand-in-cap-saga/182681

The nrl have no jurisdiction to force a club to stop paying an employee (the player)

Gronk

Staff member
Ok then, Gronk. Stick a couple of 'allegedly's in his post then.

Doesnt change what he was saying and the fact that he was spot on.

Well I don't agree that Eels fans are in denial. I don't see many here crowing that we are innocent and victims of some sort of a conspiracy.

Yes we need to get our house in order. That's been the case for the last decade. As Jethro said in the above paywalled article, (paraphrasing) "sometimes I have looked people in the eye and asked them if they really have the club at heart. To me it's all about their self interest.." Geeze we have a continuing uphill battle to move forward and somehow leave these merkins behind.

Yes short term pain. Long term gain ? I don't know how that will be achieved. I see no light at the end of the tunnel until the mouth pieces of these factions publicly declare that they are distancing themselves from O'Connell Street for the betterment of the club.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Well I don't agree that Eels fans are in denial. I don't see many here crowing that we are innocent and victims of some sort of a conspiracy.

Yes we need to get our house in order. That's been the case for the last decade. As Jethro said in the above paywalled article, (paraphrasing) "sometimes I have looked people in the eye and asked them if they really have the club at heart. To me it's all about their self interest.." Geeze we have a continuing uphill battle to move forward and somehow leave these merkins behind.

Yes short term pain. Long term gain ? I don't know how that will be achieved. I see no light at the end of the tunnel until the mouth pieces of these factions publicly declare that they are distancing themselves from O'Connell Street for the betterment of the club.

The comment about being in denial was in response to your statement where you said "we were 200K under the cap until the NRL made us put all of those TPAs against our cap". In that context, I thought it was a reasonable comment to make.

Agree with everything else you state. Particularly about the f**kwit factions.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The comment about being in denial was in response to your statement where you said "we were 200K under the cap until the NRL made us put all of those TPAs against our cap". In that context, I thought it was a reasonable comment to make.

Agree with everything else you state. Particularly about the f**kwit factions.
Is privatisation the answer?? Because I can't see anything changing with the current set up. And if a new board does get in that is potentially 3 f**kwit factions ready to bring them down. And the whole shit fight starts again.

El Diablo

Post Whore
this is all to stressful with Peats leaving so I'm going to channel one the plumbers fav quotes as a pick me up:

"STAY BLUE, STAY GOLD AND STAY UNITED"

A truly Churchillian comment by the plumber.

#goodgovernance

I think they still believe it still Spags fault or a smear campaign of some sort. So they're hanging on.

#bringbackspags

PAYWALL !!!

Plan to end the Eels saga revealed
A SENIOR Parramatta board member has spoken out about the club?s salary cap mess, calling for an end to the ?factionalism and self interest? and to finally put the Eels first. Here?s his plan.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/su...dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&memtype=registered

Parramatta Eels salary cap saga: Geoff Gerard reveals his plan to turn the club?s fortunes around
24 minutes ago
Exclusive Dean RitchieThe Daily Telegraph

A SENIOR Parramatta board member has finally spoken out about the club?s salary cap mess, calling for an end to the ?factionalism and self interest? and to finally put the Eels first.

Geoff Gerard, a former Eels grand final prop, spoke with The Daily Telegraph and hopes Nathan Peats? Gold Coast move will make them salary cap compliant before Friday?s night?s big match against South Sydney at what?s shaping as a sold-out Pirtek Stadium.

?I have sat on different (Parramatta) boards at times when I have seriously looked people in the face and said: ?Are you really here for this club???Gerard said.

He has assured fans that his focus is on three areas ? becoming salary cap compliant, offering players and staff counselling and helping Kieran Foran. While Gerard sympathised with Anthony Watmough, Ryan Morgan and Peats being forced to leave, he said the club was in a position in which tough decisions had to be made.

?It will certainly affect them and their families but the bigger picture here is the club,? Gerard said.

THE SALARY CAP

?Seriously, for our supporters and players, it?s got to be about becoming salary cap compliant,? Gerard said.

There is a bit of crisis management at this time but we are trying to deal with that the best we can.

?Obviously the club went to the Supreme Court and that will be dealt with over time.

?This is a community club. We have fans, we have members, we?ve got to do everything we can, in my opinion, to get a football team on the field playing for points on Friday night.

?I have been working with (Eels auditor) Ian Schubert, the coach (Brad Arthur) and (assistant coach) Peter Sharp.

?The members and people that I know who have spoken to me have given support to me, which has been encouraging.

?They are concerned with what?s going on, but they are saying to me what I am saying to you, the three things I am focusing on and they are saying: ?Yep, good idea?.?

THE BIG FIVE

The ?Gang of Five? ? Eels chairman Steve Sharp, chief executive John Boulous, head of football Daniel Anderson, deputy chairman Tom Issa and director Peter Serrao ? are all under pressure to stand down.

?The only thing I can say is that the mantra here has always been club first. This is a decision each of them has to make for themselves,? Gerard said. ?

?There is always a presumption of innocence. Can I tell you whether they are guilty before they have tried to clear their names? I can?t. I haven?t seen all the evidence yet.?

?Their suspensions have left fans questioning who is actually in charge at Parramatta.

?While the three board members aren?t allowed to have anything to do with the day-to-day running of the club, they are still active board members and we still have a chairman,? Gerard said.

?There is a bit of crisis management at this time but we are trying to deal with that the best we can.?

THE ANGER

What has really infuriated Gerard through this saga?

?Just putting the club and supporters through all of this,?? he said. ?It?s a crap scene we have but we can only deal with issues we can control. We have to draw a line in the sand here. The issue has always been, over the last six years, factionalism.

?Factionalism that still continues behind the team. I have had so many people that have said they are here for the club but it?s about self interest. It?s driving me crazy.?

It?s a crap scene we have but we can only deal with issues we can control. We have to draw a line in the sand here

THE FANS

?We have to be doing everything for our fans,? Gerard said.

?I have been through some dark days at Parra but we are a resilient lot and I believe we are very close to having a sellout on Friday night.

?Our people will turn out to support the players, give them encouragement and I think it?s going to be one hell of a game.?

More than 20,000 fans are expected to pack Pirtek Stadium tomorrow night and Gerard said they deserved an apology and a thank you.

?But it?s a bit hard to do that because we still have to go through the review of the five people with the NRL,? he said.

THE PLAYERS

At least three players needed to be offloaded for Parramatta to become cap compliant.

?Unfortunately now, despite the fact that we love our sport, it?s still also part business and in business sometimes people have to move on and find new opportunities,? he said.

?If people have to move on for the club to continue to play for points, they are hard decisions, but they have to be made.?

THE COACH

The Eels are lucky to have coach Brad Arthur, according to Gerard.

?We?ve got the best coach in the game at the moment,? he said. ?He?s been dealing with a lot of stuff and he has kept that playing group very tight.

?He is a credit to our club. He is a super person. Sometimes he?s not very patient, we all know that with Brad. But we know he is fully committed to the club and keeping the group together.

?I can?t commend him enough. We are lucky to have someone like him.?

THE STAR

It is understood Foran remains in a Queensland hospital, and won?t play against the Rabbitohs on Friday night.

?Another priority is getting the best care we can for Kieran. I have spoken to his manager to make sure he has got that,? Gerard said. ?As far as I know, the coach is the only one that talks to him.

?I have given the approval for his manager to get whatever he needs to help him through this.?

Gronk

Staff member
News Ltd are getting quotes from the U13 players in the team that Peats is co-coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.