What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels thrash Panthers in western derby

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That would be down to fitness

It could be down to a lot of things, but I don't think it was fitness because even at the start of games we weren't aggressive in defence.

We always had a well drilled, straight-as-f**k defensive line (except for Tahu sniping on the left), but it's easy to keep your line straight when you're moving slowly. However we did have a good defensive record last year partly because of the quality of defenders we had in our team and partly because of our defensive style.

But that style also had its downsides, which directly impacted our atack.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Good to see your posts are still to complain about other people's posts rather then post about the club mick.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I know it was only a trial, but after watching the game I can see how different our team looked to last year. There were no standouts but the whole team did a good job. They all played with confidence and if they keep up their performances like that each week, we're in for a big year.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Choose not to explain it then? Thats fine, didn't think you were up to it. Ill refrain from making predictions of any kind seeing as it bothers you so much.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
And all I said was that I predict we will compete. But that is some how outlandish to you because after all, its just a trial.

2 questions.
When would be the appropriate time, according to you, to make predictions?
Do you have any sort of predictions on how we will do?

natheel

Coach
good to see us get some confidence building wins (even though theyre only trials) in before the proper season! its what we need to start to get a quick start out of the blocks. i think TEZZA is right in saying we will compete in 2011. we could even surprise a few teams.

hope walks is ok for round 1 and good to see robbo get some confidence under his belt in the number 7 jersey thats for sure!

guruminga

Juniors
Hey Mik, they may be "just trials", but they're still pretty much the same guys out there that are going to be playing the season proper. I agree that you don't put a lot of weight on the outcome of the trials, but to totally write them off as though there's absolutely no correlation between the boys performances in their own positions and as a team unit with how they're going to go in a couple of weeks when it matters is pretty naive.

The good thing about trials is that they build match fitness, and if things go well, build confidence. And as we saw in 2009, confidence can be a pretty good thing to have.

Just chill a bit and enjoy the fact that our team played well, maybe even be happy for them.

G