What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels thrash Panthers in western derby

TheParraboy

Staff member
Penrith arent the most robust of defensive sides in the competition, I would have been pretty dissapointed had we not scored some tries. Keeping them honest in attack was pleasing

We will give it to the Warriors in Rd1, dont you worry about that

The were clinical and committed to everything they were doing.

That is good to hear - with the roster we have and Kearney in place,this is all we can ask for. If they do that, we will be competitive. We need the structure and can't rely on individual brilliance to win us a game.

Happy with the trial form - hopefully we gained more from the loss against the Warriors considering we play them in a couple of weeks.

Snoochies

First Grade
And the ones crying it's only a trial would no doubt be the first ones letting us all know how crap we are if we had lost that game. But it's only a trial. :sarcasm:

We could win the comp and there would still be something to whinge about.

Stagger eel

Staff member
in all of the time I've been supporting this club this has been the best prepared squad I can remember, it may not mean much at the end of the day but SK in his coaching team probably deserve 9.5 out of 10.

I guess for the squad we have we need to be where we are from the get go because no doubt we will be going through lull period.

IFR33K

Coach
in all of the time I've been supporting this club this has been the best prepared squad I can remember, it may not mean much at the end of the day but SK in his coaching team probably deserve 9.5 out of 10.

I guess for the squad we have we need to be where we are from the get go because no doubt we will be going through lull period.

I got to agree with you stags. I can't recall our defence being so switched on. I do question our left hand side thou. Burt and Morgan had a few line brakes down there side, and panthers were unlucky to not at least of scored two tries down that side. Who pulled off that great try saver where the winger went into touch, was it morts.

Our right side looked solid with lalaso, smith and robson all defending there. Don't know if smith will play center as the back rowers were awsome.

The shack is one tough bastard too. Will be good for us.

What number was whaturiacout there??????

Stagger eel

Staff member
I got to agree with you stags. I can't recall our defence being so switched on. I do question our left hand side thou. Burt and Morgan had a few line brakes down there side, and panthers were unlucky to not at least of scored two tries down that side. Who pulled off that great try saver where the winger went into touch, was it morts.

Our right side looked solid with lalaso, smith and robson all defending there. Don't know if smith will play center as the back rowers were awsome.

The shack is one tough bastard too. Will be good for us.

What number was whaturiacout there??????

wasn't at the game but I'm lead to believe that Fats replaced Morgs in the starting lineup, is that right?

Gronk

Staff member
Jazz said on twitter that he was carrying a niggle. Pelvis/patella or something starting with P flared up Fri/Sat. CBF'd looking it up sorry.

MrT

Juniors
Have to agree that this was the best drilled team I have seen in ages. It was all about structure and having a game plan. That Ben Smith try, I thought I was watching Melb lol. It's amazing how well our halves can play when coached what to do. I had a feeling Lasalo could be a surprise packet and he surely was. He ran good lines and was never dominated in tackles. The biggest difference was that we won 30-0 and Haynes contribution was a drop ball on 1st tackle and gave away a penalty.
WE DON'T RELY ON HAYNE, WE PLAY AS A TEAM.

Based on last 2 games, PARRA WILL MAKE THE 8

Stagger eel

Staff member
Boxhead did you even watch the game?

Robson had a ok game but Mortimer did nothing. You are completely wrong.

It was more of a team effort. Defence was excellent.

Have to agree that this was the best drilled team I have seen in ages. It was all about structure and having a game plan. That Ben Smith try, I thought I was watching Melb lol. It's amazing how well our halves can play when coached what to do. I had a feeling Lasalo could be a surprise packet and he surely was. He ran good lines and was never dominated in tackles. The biggest difference was that we won 30-0 and Haynes contribution was a drop ball on 1st tackle and gave away a penalty.
WE DON'T RELY ON HAYNE, WE PLAY AS A TEAM.

Based on last 2 games, PARRA WILL MAKE THE 8

i didn't watch the game but I'm a little confused here..

so our halves had something between an ok and a really good one...

please discuss :lol:

{grabs popcorn}

IFR33K

Coach
Our halves were good without being great. Had a good passing game, didnt try and overplay their hand and try and take on the line to much.

Panthers came out of the blocks quick smart, and tried getting on top of our forwards. They put on a few big hits, but we nullified them.

They also had a heap of possession and position, but we scrambled and defended our goal line well......the most pleasing aspect.

Their short kicking game was handled well by the eels.

Tuamta was there best by far, and if given a decent shot, will cause a lot of headaches for the opposition.

They did bomb a few certain tries, and we also bombed 1.

I think it was morts that tackled their winger or center into touch, just before grounding the ball for a try. Morts defended really well.

Loko only came on for 7 or 8 minutes, so didnt really see any quality time.

i didn't watch the game but I'm a little confused here..

so our halves had something between an ok and a really good one...

please discuss :lol:

{grabs popcorn}

Stagger,

Robson had an ok game set up some try's and defense was very good. The general kicking this weekend was like the old Robson which was rubbish. He did set up a try with a nice grubber though.

Mortimer provided nothing other than his defense which was very good. He has nothing in attack, no ounce of creativity at all. His passing game is slow and predictable. Yesterday he tried to pass it quickly to the outside backs but it seemed in slow motion.

As a team we were very good, very committed.

jono

Juniors
I read on the Panthers site an interesting axiom the coaching theory of "6P" - Proper preparation prevents piss poor performance .... it seems that SK has done an excellent job in the preparation of this team , physically , mentally and tactically.
And yes , it is ONLY a trial , but that's the whole point. In any sport , you practice ad inifinitum the same drills and skills , slowly at first , over and over until you get it right , then increase the tempo and power . These trial results have revealed good combination and commitment and does augur well for a successful season.
As someone else said , better than scratching our heads over 10-30 or 0-30 piss-poor performances!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Different teams give their halves differing amounts of freedom/creative responsibility. For example, Thurston and Marshall are thrown the ball whenever and wherever they want it. Especially if nothing is on.

By contrast, the Dragons halves have most of their touches scripted into the gameplan, as well as their options once they have the ball - basically Bennet does their thinking for them. They just have to execute.

Obviously both ends of this continuum can work if they suit the personnel in question. It looks like Kearney is giving our halves a lot less freedom this year and in the past two games they've thrived with less pressure on them.

Mortimer provided nothing other than his defense which was very good. He has nothing in attack, no ounce of creativity at all. His passing game is slow and predictable. Yesterday he tried to pass it quickly to the outside backs but it seemed in slow motion.

Didn't he come up with a LBA/TA for Smith's try?