What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels thrash Panthers in western derby

strider

Post Whore
Stagger,

Robson had an ok game set up some try's and defense was very good. The general kicking this weekend was like the old Robson which was rubbish. He did set up a try with a nice grubber though.

Mortimer provided nothing other than his defense which was very good. He has nothing in attack, no ounce of creativity at all. His passing game is slow and predictable. Yesterday he tried to pass it quickly to the outside backs but it seemed in slow motion.

As a team we were very good, very committed.

I'll take into account its Jake saying this - about Robson .... so transalation: Robson was on fire :thumn

Different teams give their halves differing amounts of freedom/creative responsibility. For example, Thurston and Marshall are thrown the ball whenever and wherever they want it. Especially if nothing is on.

By contrast, the Dragons halves have most of their touches scripted into the gameplan, as well as their options once they have the ball - basically Bennet does their thinking for them. They just have to execute.

Obviously both ends of this continuum can work if they suit the personnel in question. It looks like Kearney is giving our halves a lot less freedom this year and in the past two games they've thrived with less pressure on them.

Didn't he come up with a LBA/TA for Smith's try?

Smith scored off a grubber from Robson.

boxhead

First Grade
Jake the Snake, does the moniker "Robson was the best on the field" mean anything to you?

Oh and for the record, Mortimer's kicking game and passing game according to people who, you know, actually watched the game and thus know what they are talking about, is 100% improved. You do realize he has set up a few tries in the trials as well, right?

It was a team effort boyo, but please, stop giving it to our halves when they quite clearly had a good game - again.

Jake the Snake, does the moniker "Robson was the best on the field" mean anything to you?

Oh and for the record, Mortimer's kicking game and passing game according to people who, you know, actually watched the game and thus know what they are talking about, is 100% improved. You do realize he has set up a few tries in the trials as well, right?

It was a team effort boyo, but please, stop giving it to our halves when they quite clearly had a good game - again.

Mate you weren't there, Robson did a few good things but his kicking was very poor and not first grade standard. Mortimer was useless in attack.
I know your desperate for some good news regarding our halves but don't delude yourself mate.

It was a great team effort with no real standouts. Maybe that's a good thing.

Just adding Mortimer and Robson did kick very well last week against the tigers but yesterday was like the bad old days finding the fullback on the full and useless kicks which had no purpose. Web Jarryd kicked poorly yesterday.

boxhead

First Grade
Mate you weren't there, Robson did a few good things but his kicking was very poor and not first grade standard. Mortimer was useless in attack.
I know your desperate for some good news regarding our halves but don't delude yourself mate.

It was a great team effort with no real standouts. Maybe that's a good thing.

I have heard from several people who were at the game, and from what I saw as well Robson set up two tries, one with a grubber in-goal.
I'm not lying when I say your opinion is the exception and not the rule.

Even the papers and the NRL site have all said Robson was best on the field. Why can't you accept that? Are you so prejudiced against our own players, the players that you should be supporting, that you can't accept it when they do have a good game?

Good news? We played structured attacking football and won 30-nil. Are you going to sit here and tell me that wasn't off the back of good team play that was directed by our halves and hooker? Hayne did not play as a half, our halves are now playing as the dominant halves and they are quite obviously improving a tonne in both their kicking and passing games. Those are the words echoed by the Tigers trial!

I'm not saying it's a bad thing that the team was great as a whole, but when several different websites and papers say Robson was man of the match, then I think it is logical to assume he had a very good game?

Last edited:

boxhead

First Grade
He improved slightly when he was concussed.

That isn't surprising :) Tough little boy. Doesn't remember a thing unfortuneately.

Just adding Mortimer and Robson did kick very well last week against the tigers but yesterday was like the bad old days finding the fullback on the full and useless kicks which had no purpose. Web Jarryd kicked poorly yesterday.

Well I accept that. All I saw about our kicking was that Mortimer was kicking it long to the wingers and we did screw up a few chances. Not saying our kicking is great but it still much improved than our non-existent kicking-game from last year.

:roll:

I have heard from several people who were at the game, and from what I saw as well Robson set up two tries, one with a grubber in-goal.
Were you there? I'm not lying when I saw your opinion is the exception and not the rule.

Even the papers and the NRL site have all said Robson was best on the field. Why can't you accept that? Are you so prejudiced against our own players, the players that you should be supporting, that you can't accept it when they do have a good game?

Good news? We played structured attacking football and won 30-nil. Are you going to sit here and tell me that wasn't off the back of good team play that was directed by our halves and hooker? Hayne did not play as a half, our halves are now playing as the dominant halves and they are quite obviously improving a tonne in both their kicking and passing games. Those are the words echoed by the Tigers trial!

I'm not saying it's a bad thing that the team was great as a whole, but when several different websites and papers say Robson was man of the match, then I think it is logical to assume he had a very good game?

"Don't be so gullible McFly" you read the papers as gospel do you?

The tigers trial they kicked very well I've said that but yesterday just hopeless. Sorry to burst your little bubble.

Prejudice???? You're an idiot!
Robson set up two trys which was good and I gave him credit for that you knob.
But his kicking was f**king sh*t yesterday and it was back to the old Robson.
Mortimer defended well yesterday but his attacking game was sh*t as well. He had nothing.

Even Haynes kick were sh*te.

Kornstar

Coach
The team effort was fantastic! Lasalo was the standout imo, other than that, it was a very committed effort!

I haven't been impressed with Morts in the 2 trials I have seen but we have won and if he has been playing the role he has been given, I can't complain.

Robson was great last week and a mixed bag this week, but as with Mortimer if we start winning when the comp starts then they will both have been playing the roles they have been given.

Hayne was injured early on, he struggled the whole game imo. He had a few very nice touches, the kick for the Horo's try was all class. He also threw a few very good passes that were put down.

Walker went off early, he knew straight away, unwrapped his strapping and got straight off the field, glad he will be ok, I may not have been impressed with him last week but he seems to fit in and that is a good thing for the team when he is on the field.

Whaturiara looked ok.

Webb was also injured after 4 minutes of being on, looked like a hammy, he did not come back on.

The defence was the most pleasing aspect for me, looking forward to round 1.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Boxhead have disagree, Jake is one of the better judges on the forum, and has always been the first to put his hand up when he's wrong

IFR33K

Coach
Ffs we won and still we have the critics. Robo and morts were solid without being standouts. They done their job, that's all I want from them.

The backrow were the standouts.

spartan2153

Juniors
"Don't be so gullible McFly" you read the papers as gospel do you?

The tigers trial they kicked very well I've said that but yesterday just hopeless. Sorry to burst your little bubble.

Prejudice???? You're an idiot!
Robson set up two trys which was good and I gave him credit for that you knob.
But his kicking was f**king sh*t yesterday and it was back to the old Robson.
Mortimer defended well yesterday but his attacking game was sh*t as well. He had nothing.

Even Haynes kick were sh*te.

dont bother defending yourself to boxhead. His name says it all. You can only talk good stuff with him otherwise your attacked.

Ffs we won and still we have the critics. Robo and morts were solid without being standouts. They done their job, that's all I want from them.

The backrow were the standouts.

It was great team effort mate but people like to say our halves had a such a good game which is not true.

The team as a whole was very good. Maybe people don't like hearing a balanced view....

Lassalo has definitely cemented his starting 2nd row spot. Very excited but what he bring to our forwards.

Isnt it great having 2nd rowers that can run good lines and hit a hole?
Both Lassalo and Horo can do that. Ben Smith while great defensively has been very poor on the attacking and running game.

Latest posts