What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels vs Broncos game thread

Eels Dude

Coach
There was an article in the paper saying that Eels officials are looking to extend it.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...in-kearney-the-eels-trust-20120211-1sy8o.html

If the club extends Kearney's contract at this stage they are crazy.

Been discussed before and I agree. It really was stupid of our new CEO to come out with those comments in his first interview since getting the job. If they're in negotiations then keep it behind closed door. That article reads like they think SK is the new messiah.

Delboy

First Grade
Back row was ordinary again and is our weak link, Reni is the stand out.No thrust or second phase from Hindy, Horo or Lasalo. Who would have thought that Roberts would be missed as he was when he left the field (big time actually)

Burt is honestly too small, too slow and apart from experience doesnt offer much.

yy_cheng

Coach
The no second phase could be an instruction from sk.

When burt played some first recieving, his passes to sandow was way too slow.

Parra Pride

Referee
Burt could not be completely lost, if Roberts plays like he did in 09 (big if, I know) Burty and Tonga could rack up a few tries, Roberts did make complete nuffies like Morris and Goodwin look like superstars.

Disappointing :( .

I had a feeling we would try and play that one out Melbourne style again this year . Very bland.

Been calling for Matt Keating to go for years now and some how year after year he still gets picked. Anyway when Tonga and Hayne return we should look a little better in attack.

The wet made the game sloppy for both teams.

Eels Dude

Coach
Back row was ordinary again and is our weak link, Reni is the stand out.No thrust or second phase from Hindy, Horo or Lasalo. Who would have thought that Roberts would be missed as he was when he left the field (big time actually)

Burt is honestly too small, too slow and apart from experience doesnt offer much.

With the conditions tonight you can't really expect second phase play. It's too risky. I was more disappointed we didn't take advantage of the times we did get the Broncos pinned in their own 20. On 3 occasions in the first half we had them feeding a scrum on their 10 metre line but gave away a cheap penalty and all that effort went to waste.

On Burt, he's a terrific player and offers a lot. But he's pretty much useless in wet weather as every time he runs the ball he's going to get driven back 5 metres.

Don't want to comment on my nemisis Burt lol . I have nothing nice to say about him. Keating and Lasalo were also up to old tricks but apart from that I thought we were ok.

When Roberts went off Sandow got a taste of what Hayne has had the last 2 years, being the only member of the attacking spine with any attacking thrust what-so-ever.

The props were outstanding really. Alot to improve on, but definately poistives to come out of the game.

Delboy

First Grade
ED, in the modern game apart from goal kicking what does Burt offer over the 2 guys who played tonight, I cant see anything other than the odd kick chase.

Doesnt defend as well and is basically lost under the high ball, and his best days are a bit behind him, his best game last year was playing around the halves against the Titans, , maybe he can be a sort of back up there

Anybody bagging out Sandow should really wake up !!

He tried super hard all game , kicked well and lead the team around. Not his fault he was given super slow ball with nobody running any lines or plays. Seriously thought we looked poorly drilled at times.

Actually felt sorry for Sandow he had no support had so much pressure on him every time he got the ball. I like Burt and think he is a great club man but i look at other clubs and they have more then just experience they have dangerous players in positions and im not sure if he strikes fear into anyone these days.

Our defence was brilliant all game i think. I reckon we shouldn't knee jerk untill we see them go around a few more times.

Eels Dude

Coach
ED, in the modern game apart from goal kicking what does Burt offer over the 2 guys who played tonight, I cant see anything other than the odd kick chase.

Doesnt defend as well and is basically lost under the high ball, and his best days are a bit behind him, his best game last year was playing around the halves against the Titans, , maybe he can be a sort of back up there

To answer your question, he's a very smart footy player. He scores a lot of tries and sets up a lot of plays than no outside back would even think of. His anticipation is great and that's why he's scored some freakish tries over the years. Even last year he was our leading tryscorer. I do agree to a certain extent, he's a bit of a 'jack of all trades, master of none' type player. But that's why all his coaches have found a spot for him in the side.

spiderdan

Bench
From a quick glance it was not pretty and looked like we haven't changed from last year but will hold off making a judgement until I have seen hayne and sandow play together for a month or so with a full strength team in hopefully dry conditions.

Here's hoping we see improvement.

The modern day outside back is 6 foot plus, 100kg + and acts as an extra forward bringing the ball out from their own end.

Unless your extremely safe, and extremely quick you just don't offer enough being Burt's stature.Throw in the fact you don't appreciate physical confrontations and well....thats as nice as i can be about it.

salvy71

Juniors
Easy solutions to all our problems.

Sack Kearney.
Sack Sandow.
Sack Hindy.
Sack Burt.
Sack Matuia.
Sack a village or two as that was a done thing in the day.
Sack Fui Fui.
Sack the bloke who collects the balls during kicking practice.
Sack race (three legged kind).
Sack the entire team.
Sack this forum.
Sack me.
Sack you.

Missed anyone?

Julia Gillard

The Eels Shed

Juniors
People already jumping on Sandow, he played ok, much better than last year, could do with some decent service from dummy half. Broncos littered with Rep talent and we stayed with them for the most part. Ease up people only our first game and with Hayne and Tonga, we can only get better.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
What was so disappointing tonight was, we looked so promising after half time, holding out a pretty good Brisbane side, and our attack wasnt too bad. But it just fell away after too many silly errors and poor kicks.

This has to change, our attitude in the second half.

Eels Dude

Coach
People already jumping on Sandow, he played ok, much better than last year, could do with some decent service from dummy half. Broncos littered with Rep talent and we stayed with them for the most part. Ease up people only our first game and with Hayne and Tonga, we can only get better.

It's only jealous and bitter Souths fans who are coming in here bagging out Sandow.

Latest posts