What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Embarrassing

God-King Dean

Immortal
It was a comment directed to forumers, LOL, now you're telling me how I feel

Tell me this honestly Immortal, if we had merged with The Sharks would you have your location as "Heart in St George, Soul in Sutherland"? Would you go out and buy a "Cronulla Heritage" jersey?

Yes, I would. & for your information, I don't own a Steelers heritage jersey, so no I wouldn't buy it

Well I appreciate your honesty Immortal.

I know that for many people the sky is the limit and they're willing to adopt anything as their own.

You have taken to The JV and The Illawarra like a duck to water and you state that you would do exactly the same with our most hated rivals should the situation arise.

To some fans this seems shallow and fickle. Maybe you could try and understand that before ripping into them.

I know you do gregster.

But I don't and I'd much prefer we Stood Alone. I feel that my position is just as legitimate as yours and if we went back 6 years and put it to a vote I'm confident I'd trounce you.

gregstar

Referee
Daithi O'Conaill said:
I know you do gregster.

But I don't and I'd much prefer we Stood Alone. I feel that my position is just as legitimate as yours and if we went back 6 years and put it to a vote I'm confident I'd trounce you.
i didn't want the merger anymore than you at first but i accepted it & moved on.
we've kept a recognisable identity plus secured a large juniors base.

gregstar

Referee
Southernsaint said:
You can stick the f***ing JV up your arse...
it's not exactly going to end in the forseeable future
are you going to quit supporing until it possibly happens?
c'mon they need support :)

As far as the merger goes bring it on, its like the saying two heads are better than one. but in this case two teams are better than one. BUT i do not appreciate the fact that us Illawarra fans are being looked down upon and bullied by the Army. FFS the fans weren't the ones who said to merge the clubs so why rat on us when things go wrong, and hell they are your team, if i understood correctly, so why blame us for their stuff ups. Its has nothing to do with us. If we take the blame for their poor performance then YOU take the blame. Ater all we spend more time bickering than supporting our team. If you lot put HALF the energy into supporting the boys, rather than putting us Illawarra supporters down then maybe our boys would be playing better, knowing they had the support of the players.
I went to the Dragons fun day at WIN stadium on the 27th Februaryand When i asked Bails whats the best and worst thing about playing football and he said the best thing was the travelling he likes that and then he said and how the fans USED to support us 100% he then went on to say but not so much now, they don't support us lke they used to and we kinda miss it. he also said that they do enjoy when the fans DO support them but its seems to be lacking a bit.

So as you can see the players themselves are noticing it , so if you are a fan then follow OUR team and forget the differences and leave the past in the past.

sethman75

Juniors
Daithi O'Conaill said:
sethman75 said:
Tinia your a monkey.

The Dragons of today are way more Steelers than the Saints and always have been since the merger.

Really. What was it in 99 (our one good year) 13 Dragons and 12 Steelers? Or vice versa, either way your point is disproven.

The Dragons of today are way more Steelers than the Saints and always have been since the merger. Why do you think we have the best playing roster in the league? It's because of the constant influx of quality youth from the Illawarra. Nobody can argue about that point.

Is this a trick question?

Snap back to reality.

Who are the two most dominant teams in the NRL today? The Bulldogs and The Roosters. That's right two Stand Alone Sydney clubs who don't just sit back on their arse but actually get out their and recruit establised players, juniors and up and commers.

Kind of like what St George did in the 90s when we made THREE Grand Finals. Geez, looking back I just don't know how we could manage such a thing without the precious… the ten foot tall Illawarra juniors who can fire lighting bolts from their arse.

What i didn't explain properly is we have the best playing roster in the Premiership when they are all fit and playing together. Unlike other clubs we have a voodoo curse on our players and i can't remember when our full strength team was available to play on the same park on the same day.

Regarding your less than convincing remark regarding the Illawarra juniors, i don't think they are "precious" by any means, but while we are in "reality" you have to admit players brought up from the Illawarra are the backbone of the Dragons that we support today and will be for the foreseeable future.

Just get over it and admit that without the JV, the Saints of old would be no more than makeweights in the comp, midtable at best, just as the Steelers probably would be if still around.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Just get over it and admit that without the JV, the Saints of old would be no more than makeweights in the comp, midtable at best, just as the Steelers probably would be if still around.
You're still stuck in some residential qualification timewarp.

The 'Saints of old' did fine without the JV... take out a handfull of seasons in the last 50 years and they have always been in the semi-finals.

Just get over the JV and admit it has never been a formula to success. Once that's realised, we'll be able to move forward.

drake

First Grade
Southernsaint said:
You can stick the f***ing JV up your arse...
Say what you really think Ben, don't mince words. :lol:

An alternative the "Hard Core" Saints Anti JV people could do is stop going to games. It's not your team anyway, this JV thing.

Vote with your feet. Instead of going to every game in the known universe and complaining about the "Steelers with no heart".

I'm sure the players will really miss 100 or so blokes who turn like hungry hyaenas and abuse the place many of them come from.

DevilDragon

Juniors
When the JV happened I had to accept that my club no longer had the same identity it used to. However, I had a choice then which club I chose to follow. I chose to support StG-Ill because they still represented some identity to my beloved Dragons that I grew up with. At least they retained a similarity to the team I alway's loved as a kid.

A mate of mine is a Magpies man through and through. He now refuses to watch the NRL or anything to do with it. That's his choice, but he misses out on a great game being played every week of the season. The man is not the same as he used to be every winter. He does not travel to Leichardt in his black & whites and shit-can the team. He does not 'spit' on the jersey (lucky I didn't see it) & he doesn't blame Balmain.

The point is we have a choice. We can move on and enjoy all this great game offers and represent our team as a solid supporter base to the benefit of the guy's putting themselves on the line for our entertainment each week. Or we can bicker like old moles amongst ourselves and invite damaging rifts and rumors in the club and watch it fall apart. Maybe you can be like my mate and sit in silence all weekend and remember the good old days.

PUT UP OR SHUT UP.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Wests & Balmain members were given a vote on the issue.

St George & Illawarra members were not afforded that luxury...

Jamesy

Juniors
alive103 said:
I had a run-in with a bloke wearing a Steelers Heritage jersey who was having a go at myself and others for not supporting them

And after that incident, i walked over to the guy wearing the steelers jersey and had to shake his hand. I applaud him. He said what many of us want to say top you guys everytime you start bagging the Illawarra.

alive103 said:
Finally I will say this. After every loss the army is criticised just as much as the players and coaching staff. People who chant week-in week-out and give their voices for the club they follow (I'll avoid support because this is a testy issue with you). make a 30 week commitment and they expect the players to show a 30 week commitment to the jersey and take pride in their performance. It's an easy out bagging Illawarra... i knew the moment an Illawarra chant started the other night someone would have a whinge about it.... for over 90% of Friday night's debacle, the Army was thoroughly behind the side. It's a commitment that starts on Charity Shield night every year and will continue until we exit the competition.

Alive, i am one of those people that make that 30-wekk commitment, and have been for about the past 4 years now. I walk away from the game not being able to talk for the next 2 days. I give them my voice week in and week out.
And you don't think people have a right to winge after the Illawarra chant starts up??

BTW, it was good to put a face to a name. :D

Dakink

Bench
"When the JV happened I had to accept that my club no longer had the same identity it used to. However, I had a choice then which club I chose to follow. I chose to support StG-Ill because they still represented some identity to my beloved Dragons that I grew up with. At least they retained a similarity to the team I alway's loved as a kid.

A mate of mine is a Magpies man through and through. He now refuses to watch the NRL or anything to do with it. That's his choice, but he misses out on a great game being played every week of the season. The man is not the same as he used to be every winter. He does not travel to Leichardt in his black & whites and sh*t-can the team. He does not 'spit' on the jersey (lucky I didn't see it) & he doesn't blame Balmain.

The point is we have a choice. We can move on and enjoy all this great game offers and represent our team as a solid supporter base to the benefit of the guy's putting themselves on the line for our entertainment each week. Or we can bicker like old moles amongst ourselves and invite damaging rifts and rumors in the club and watch it fall apart. Maybe you can be like my mate and sit in silence all weekend and remember the good old days. "

Good point, as a long St.George fan, when we merged we got to choose who we support. I choose to maintin my support for the JV because it still contained part of St.george, even if it was in a copmbined team. Do some of people in the city that whinge and whine about the JV and wanting to stand alone (I wonder how long that would last, especially with the new Pokies tax) realise how stupid, petty and ridiculous they sound and look to the clubs supporters from the bush. This club is nationwide not Sydney-centric and it is high time we started to build a club that everyone is part off and pulls together to create as a team. I dont understand why people would want to insult other supporters from your own club, if you dont want the Illawarra region to be part of the venture, then dont support us and go and support St.George in the lower comps where they still are seperate. We are now ONE club with 2 pasts and historys. Lets now create a strong identity. I for one couldnt care less about the Illawarra vs St.George s*&t. I was always a Dragons supporter and I always will be. That now means I support St.Geoerge-Illawarra. This club is not just about Kogorah or Wollongong, there are more fans around the country than that!!!!

Go Dragons!!!!

DevilDragon said:
When the JV happened I had to accept that my club no longer had the same identity it used to. However, I had a choice then which club I chose to follow. I chose to support StG-Ill because they still represented some identity to my beloved Dragons that I grew up with. At least they retained a similarity to the team I alway's loved as a kid.

Well that's exactly what I did

Doesn't mean that I wouldn't drop The Steelers like a sack of shit if the opportunity arose or that I'll pretend to feel an affinity for them.

As Immortal has admitted, it's completely fake.

sethman75 said:

Bullshit.

This isn't 98 - the myth of the decline of the Stand Alone Sydney club and the rise of the merged Super Teams has been crushed.

Wake up.

DevilDragon

Juniors
Well that's exactly what I did

Doesn't mean that I wouldn't drop The Steelers like a sack of sh*t if the opportunity arose or that I'll pretend to feel an affinity for them.

I don't pretend I feel any inkling of emotion for the Steelers either though I do not divide this club into two seperate factions. That is the problem.

I have no idea who or what started the petty fued between the two groups of supporters but it has the potential to tear the club apart.

I BELEIVE WE SUPPORT ONE CLUB NOW, NOT TWO.

Latest posts