What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ENG v NZ @ ELLAND ROAD, LEEDS // Sunday 11 Nov - Monday 01h30 (AEDT) 03h30 (NZDT)

Matua

Bench
''a country with a century of history in a game that is their national sport uses heratige players to fill their squad''

That's why I'm going back to Wales. A country of 3 million people (not unsimilar to NZ) with RU as its national sport and they can't fill a full squad. Look, I'm fine with them doing so but just sick of the media lording RU as a ''global'' game when in truth it is not really that global as the Welsh RU amongst others can attest to.
Except they're not really a country, they're a Principality with free movement within the wider country (The UK) they're part of - of course lots of Welsh people are going to wind up living in England. Why would Wales not select those players?

Also, NZ has closer to 5m people.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Except they're not really a country, they're a Principality with free movement within the wider country (The UK) they're part of - of course lots of Welsh people are going to wind up living in England. Why would Wales not select those players?

Also, NZ has closer to 5m people.

I'm talking about heratige players, not players that were born in Wales and moved to England.

Matua

Bench
I'm talking about heratige players, not players that were born in Wales and moved to England.
The point is it's much easier for the Welsh to wind up living in another country and having a child there than most other countries. A heritage child could be born in and live Bristol and spend every holidays 10km over the border at their grandparents - yet you have an issue with Wales selecting them as a heritage player.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The point is it's much easier for the Welsh to wind up living in another country and having a child there than most other countries. A heritage child could be born in and live Bristol and spend every holidays 10km over the border at their grandparents - yet you have an issue with Wales selecting them as a heritage player.

I have clearly said that I don't have an issue with them selecting heratige players. I have an issue with the media pulling league up for it way more than they do Union. Are you Welsh or a Union apologist? Not sure why you are so upset with this.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I have clearly said that I don't have an issue with them selecting heratige players. I have an issue with the media pulling league up for it way more than they do Union. Are you Welsh or a Union apologist? Not sure why you are so upset with this.

TBF I've only ever seen RL people/media raising it as an issue, never main stream neutral media.

Matua

Bench
Neither, I just think the league v rugby bullshit is bullshit and your comments about Wales were rubbish. You're now saying you don't have a problem with it yet you've been whining about Wales selecting heritage players for a number of posts now. Plus you're continuing ignoring the point I'm making about the type of political entity Wales is.

For fans of league and rugby, who grew up playing and watching both sports, the us v them bullshit from sectors of both sides is tiresome in the extreme.

Matua

Bench
How long have Samoa and Tonga been playing league compared to Scotland playing union though?
What's the relevance of that? Scotland have small playing numbers in rugby so they use heritage players. No one is arguing rugby is a big sport in Scotland.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Neither, I just think the league v rugby bullshit is bullshit and your comments about Wales were rubbish. You're now saying you don't have a problem with it yet you've been whining about Wales selecting heritage players for a number of posts now. Plus you're continuing ignoring the point I'm making about the type of political entity Wales is.

For fans of league and rugby, who grew up playing and watching both sports, the us v them bullshit from sectors of both sides is tiresome in the extreme.

Go and read my posts - I'm happy with both sports doing it because they are trying to grow. I am not happy with the media beating league up for it more than union.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
TBF I've only ever seen RL people/media raising it as an issue, never main stream neutral media.

https://realsport101.com/news/sport...is-more-important-to-some-people-than-others/

https://www.theroar.com.au/2013/11/04/sorry-but-the-rugby-league-world-cup-is-a-farce/

https://www.artklmedia.com/nrl-1/eligibility-farce

That's just from page 1 on google.

Googled the same for Union and only found this which isn't too bad, the rest of the articles were on RL eligibility

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/r...e-rugbys-true-Rainbow-Nation-Rugby-Union.html

Perth Red

Post Whore

You've kind of proved yourself wrong lol. You've quoted three very minor online sources for League and one main stream media source for Union! And the two authors in the league stories are RL fans, which proves my point, only RL fans criticise ourselves!

Matua

Bench
Go and read my posts - I'm happy with both sports doing it because they are trying to grow. I am not happy with the media beating league up for it more than union.
This could be location specific for you, on the Eastern seaboard of OZ league has a lock on the media.

Latest posts