What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

england 4nations injuries

Joker's Wild

Coach
the world club challenge will do.....for the sake of winning a argument :lol:

You mean that game thats played before our season, during the English season, in England and is NOT an international game.

Noone whinges about it mate, but it is viewed as a bit silly massively skewed in the ESL teams favour

roughyedspud

Coach
during the english season? its like 2 or 3 games in :lol:

grow some nuts then and host it!!!

oh hang on...last time you did,1st june 1994, smack bang in the middle of the 1994 winfield cup,in brisbane against brisbane...wigan handed their arse to them on a plate having already played a 40 game season

JasonE

Bench
The other plus is that we seem to actually have a number of reasonably big and quick outside backs coming through.

I like the idea of playing Leroy Cudjoe on the wing, he is tall, athletic and one of the most gifted English backs imo with the ability to produce some class.

roughyedspud

Coach
heard a rumour yesterday that matt king was approached by ste McNamara....but king turned him down

matt king does actually qualify via residency

roughyedspud

Coach
There are a lot of reasons why England hasn't been that competitive in recent years.

define competitive?

2007 - beat the future world champs 3-0 in a series

2008 - down in australia,reached the world cup semi's but lost to the eventual world champs,the final was our target but at least we lost to the winners..

2009 - beat world champs and had australia worried for 65-70mins in the 4nations final

2010 - down under with a weakened team,did exactly what they where expected to do..kept the aus & NZ games respectable and beat PNG with the last 14men we had fit :lol:

what england lack is mental fortitude (against australia).....not competitiveness

what giles me more is that if we reach the 4nations final this year,again, but lose to australia,again, then some how we will still be "miles behind australia & NZ" well if we where we would'nt have beaten NZ or reached the final if we where...

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
define competitive?

2007 - beat the future world champs 3-0 in a series

2008 - down in australia,reached the world cup semi's but lost to the eventual world champs,the final was our target but at least we lost to the winners..

2009 - beat world champs and had australia worried for 65-70mins in the 4nations final

2010 - down under with a weakened team,did exactly what they where expected to do..kept the aus & NZ games respectable and beat PNG with the last 14men we had fit :lol:

what england lack is mental fortitude (against australia).....not competitiveness

what giles me more is that if we reach the 4nations final this year,again, but lose to australia,again, then some how we will still be "miles behind australia & NZ" well if we where we would'nt have beaten NZ or reached the final if we where...

07, omg omg you beat NZ when they had possibly their worst coach ever.
08, you were pathetic the entire tournament. Your performance against PNG and Australia were abysmal and your two matches against NZ were better, but NZ didn't exactly play good either.
09, Did good that year. But lets be honest, you never had Australia worried. Cant speak for others, but I was comfortable the entire game. Your tries came off the back of momentum from Sam Burgess. It was never going to last.
10, no impact at all. Your game against PNG would have been similar to the WC had they not lost Adrian Lam a few weeks before.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
What England lack is the technical science behind defence and set moves. Junior development would also be a big help too. Get the kids learning the basics at a much younger age then they are.

BrisbaneRhino

Juniors
Roughyed - the list you put up to show how 'competitive' we've been shows what a shambles England has been. The only one from your list that makes any sense was beating the Kiwis 3-0. Whilst that was a weak NZ side, that was their problem not GB's. I would have said the same had we beaten Australia in 2003.

As for the rest, get real. We've been way behond Australia for years. 'Competing' for 60 minutes and then falling apart is exactly what you'd expect from an outclassed side doing its best. Its what you see week in week out at club level when a poorer side really gives it to a better one - they compete for a while (or at least appear to) and then get tired, the better team scores a try and ends up running away with the game. Just occasionally they pull off a shock win, but generally when the better team plays badly.

And given that there are only 3 teams of any quality at all, reaching the semi-final of a world cup counts as sweet FA.

Don't get me wrong - I hope your faith in England isn't misplaced. I'd like nothing better than for England to beat Australia when it matters. I just don't think we have either the quality or depth to do that. All I know is when I've watched the games here live, England/GB have been really really bad - men against boys stuff. That sort of gap will take more than one or two good players to bridge.

Goddo

Bench
What england lack is enough quality players that are of a high international standard.

roughyedspud

Coach
What England lack is the technical science behind defence and set moves. Junior development would also be a big help too. Get the kids learning the basics at a much younger age then they are.

our kids v their kids has been very very even in recent years

a proper england v australia under 20's test would be very very interesting given most if not all of the england team would be playing super league already while most of the aussies would still be in NYC

we'd probably be favourites to win with people who knew things about RL...not the bookies though lol

linny

Juniors
England's problem has largely been lack of a quality halves and NO backs !

The injection of Widdop and Reed will be sorely needed

NRLMad

Juniors
Agreed - Reed will make a good addition to the ENG team. They always seem to break down the edges. Creativity isn't usually the problem - it's defence.

Also Widdop in the halves will be good for ENG.

Goddo

Bench
From what I understand, this is how England squad look at the moment
-Train on (to) squad guys being rested from France test.
-Squad playing France to trial for 4N team (fr)
-I've also listed a few players who are likely/might get a run:

1 Sam Tomkins (to)
2 Tom Briscoe (to), Jodie Broughton (fr)
3 Jack Reed (to), Kirk Yeaman (to), Joe Arundel (fr)
4 Kris Welham (to), Joel Tomkins (fr), Chris Bridge
5 Ryan Hall

6 Gareth Widdop, Kevin Sinfield, Stefan Ratchford (fr), Luke Gale (fr)
7 Danny Brough, Matty Smith (fr), Richard Myler

9 James Roby, Luke Robinson, Danny Houghton (fr), Michael McIlorum
8 Jamie Peacock, James Graham, Gareth Carvell, Erol Crabtree
10 James Graham, Adrian Morley, Liam Watts (fr)

11 Gareth Ellis (train on), Jon Wilkin, Scott Taylor (fr), Jordan Cox (fr)
12 James Donaldson (fr), Joe Westerman (fr), (Sam Burgess injured)
13 Chris Heighington (train on), Sean O'Loughin, (Ben Westwood injured)

Likely full strength side something like:
Tomkins
Briscoe
Reed
Welham
Hall
Widdop
Brough
Peacock
Roby
Graham
Ellis
Heightington
O'Loughin

Houghton/Sinfield/Gale
Morley
Carvell/Watts
Donaldson/Westerman

That is a stronger side than last years 4N, BUT

* its probably not enough to beat Australia (who have a few injuries but should be able to cover easily), and
* New Zealand 4N side looks to be stronger than they were in 2010 (the Kiwis are definately capable of beating Aus).

I'd frame it something like $3.80 Aust, $5 NZ, $9 England, $101 Wales.

Last edited:

WireMan

Bench
From what I understand, this is how England squad look at the moment
-Train on (to) squad guys being rested from France test.
-Squad playing France to trial for 4N team (fr)
-I've also listed a few players who are likely/might get a run:

1 Sam Tomkins (to)
2 Tom Briscoe (to), Jodie Broughton (fr)
3 Jack Reed (to), Kirk Yeaman (to), Joe Arundel (fr)
4 Kris Welham (to), Joel Tomkins (fr), Chris Bridge
5 Ryan Hall

6 Gareth Widdop, Kevin Sinfield, Stefan Ratchford (fr), Luke Gale (fr)
7 Danny Brough, Matty Smith (fr), Richard Myler

9 James Roby, Luke Robinson, Danny Houghton (fr), Michael McIlorum
8 Jamie Peacock, James Graham, Gareth Carvell, Erol Crabtree
10 James Graham, Adrian Morley, Liam Watts (fr)

11 Gareth Ellis (train on), Jon Wilkin, Scott Taylor (fr), Jordan Cox (fr)
12 James Donaldson (fr), Joe Westerman (fr), (Sam Burgess injured)
13 Chris Heighington (train on), Sean O'Loughin, (Ben Westwood injured)

Likely full strength side something like:
Tomkins
Briscoe
Reed
Welham
Hall
Widdop
Brough
Peacock
Roby
Graham
Ellis
Heightington
O'Loughin

Houghton/Sinfield/Gale
Morley
Carvell/Watts
Donaldson/Westerman

That is a stronger side than last years 4N, BUT

* its probably not enough to beat Australia (who have a few injuries but should be able to cover easily), and
* New Zealand 4N side looks to be stronger than they were in 2010 (the Kiwis are definately capable of beating Aus).

I'd frame it something like $3.80 Aust, $5 NZ, $9 England, $101 Wales.

This official? Thats a horrible team.

The players in bold should not be in the 4 nations first team. The ones with (fr) i've not bolded. None should be in the full squad though.

Reed - Play him vs France, not done nearly enough to play for England in the main comp yet.
Welham - Needs a few years to get his defence upto standard.
Brough - Horribly out of form.
McIlorum - Put him in the French squad for experience, but not ready yet. However by his placement on your list i think you just forget to put (fr) there.
Heightington? - Play him against France maybe, but he was about to be realeased by the Tigers so can't be all that. I can understand shipping in backs, but second rowers? J Tomkins would play the role better.

Ratchford at 6? - Not played there all year for Salford.
No Atkins? A bit harsh after the season he just had.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I don't know what that list of players is that Goddo has named, but it's definitely not correct. The England squad isn't announced until October 10th.

Last edited:

roughyedspud

Coach
tell you what....danny mcguire for england number 7 is a very good call at the moment...form 7 in the comp at the min imo