What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

england 4nations injuries

Didgi

The problem with the SL is, while the top teams are there or thereabouts to the top NRL teams, the bottom teams are well below the NRL bottom. Whilst Wigan might beat or go close to Melbourne/Manly/Broncos, Crusaders would be destroyed by the Titans. The best players in SL are just as good as the best in the NRL (though there are more top level players in the NRL).

What players would really benefit from is playing the Aussies week in, week out, knowing how they play and how to beat them, and quality coaching. Roby is a terrific player, he won't be improved by playing in the NRL, but by playing under a quality coach, which I don't think Royce Simmons is. If Roby had grown up playing under Bellamy with Slater and Cronk, there would be no discussion that he was the best in the world.

RedVee

First Grade
I am wondering about the NRL squad that are distributed around the ESL. Does it actually benefit the Euro nations?
I guess a similar theory to the Premier League in soccer, best comp in the world arguably, but has the vast numbers of foreign players helped the English squad? I know its a bit diferent due to the EU though.

Didgi

Huh?

If you're asking about the impact of the number of Aussies in SL, it's 50/50 IMO. Half are quality players that make good contributions to their teams, half are deadset hacks.

The first half have improved the English team by raising the level of competition in the ESL, half have been detrimental by keeping young Poms out of the top comp.

NRLMad

Juniors
I am wondering about the NRL squad that are distributed around the ESL. Does it actually benefit the Euro nations?
I guess a similar theory to the Premier League in soccer, best comp in the world arguably, but has the vast numbers of foreign players helped the English squad? I know its a bit diferent due to the EU though.

Chicken and Egg. The ESL needs quality players even if they are in the last years. E.g. Buderus - great player, could have still been in the Newcastle team. Players around him would perform at a higher level and this will inevitably lead to higher performance and competition.

Also, I think the big teams would lose sponsorhip $$ /tv viewership if the ESL didn't have thsoe players playing. In closing it;s important for the std of the game to keep these players playing.

It woul be good if administrators of both comps would form alliance/trades between ESL academy and NRL U20s players from each competition & if it was enforced - i.e. each NRL team must have 2 and ESL team 2 per year.

roughyedspud

Coach
huddersfield giants have the balance right..about 20 brits and 4-5 quality imports...if every ESL club followed that blueprint we'd go along way to solving our problems..

look at widnes viking for next season,they already have the stadium, financially sound (posted a £1m profit last season while in the championship, so they have the off field stuff sorted enabling them to concentrate they efforts on the field....they should'nt have a problem spending virtually all the full £1.6m salary...so if they filled their squad with british talent,promoted their juniors and then brought in 4-5 top quality imports (like braith anasta) then they are'nt going to get kicked out of ESL and they'll defo get a "development tick" come the next franchise round

but....widnes have already signed ben cross,hep cahill, pat ah van,frank winterstein and willie isa.....so it looks like they are already going down the well trodden path of buying shite

Didgi

huddersfield giants have the balance right..about 20 brits and 4-5 quality imports...if every ESL club followed that blueprint we'd go along way to solving our problems..

This - I've said it so many times. Young exciting quality Brit backs. Exciting quality Brit halves. Tough quality Brit forwards with some quality Aus/NZ reinforcements.

St Helens are close as well.

roughyedspud

Coach
agreed....theres absolutely nothing wrong with bringing 4-5 quality imports over,i believe it would actually benefit our game...our young talent training day in day out with the likes of buderus,fitzgibbon,the monaghans,matt king etc.....you can't put a price on that...

we should'nt bring over shite...we can produce our own shite thank you very much :lol:

roughyedspud

Coach
BACK TO INJURIES

gareth widdop limped out of this mornings game with a ankle injury...likely to miss a 'number of weeks'

that could be a blessing for england.....abit of a rest before the 4nations,play in the 2 warm up england games...jobs a good un'.....sorry melbourne fans

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
BACK TO INJURIES

gareth widdop limped out of this mornings game with a ankle injury...likely to miss a 'number of weeks'

that could be a blessing for england.....abit of a rest before the 4nations,play in the 2 warm up england games...jobs a good un'.....sorry melbourne fans

You want a player in your team who has experience in big games against and with NRL players. The further into the finals he goes, the better for England.

roughyedspud

Coach
i love the way australia in 2003 brought a similar injury hit team to the uk and still won 3-0...yet the kiwis lost 3-0 thats why you'll never be number 1 :lol:

WireMan

Bench
This - I've said it so many times. Young exciting quality Brit backs. Exciting quality Brit halves. Tough quality Brit forwards with some quality Aus/NZ reinforcements.

St Helens are close as well.

Warrington are not a million miles away either.

In fact all the top teams have top imports and very good British players. Its just the lower teams that have the rubbish.

This could point to maybe to many teams in the top league? Its getting better, but there are not enough quality British players out there, so gaps are filled by imports.

Anyways injuries. Morley is back playing, so should be available for the 4 nations.

Didgi

I'd put it more down to stupid recruitment than too many teams, or perhaps too many teams in the wrong places (e.g. need more in France).

Coaches seem to think 'is Aussie, is good' and hence guys like Purtell are going to SL.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
i love the way australia in 2003 brought a similar injury hit team to the uk and still won 3-0...yet the kiwis lost 3-0 thats why you'll never be number 1 :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: This logic astounds. So we can't be the number 1 team in the world in 2011 because of what happened in 2007?

roughyedspud

Coach
your not number 1 in the world anyway you f**king clown...the rankings came out last month and your still frigging 2nd

being number 1 requires you to back up performances..WHICH YOU DON'T

WireMan

Bench
I'd put it more down to stupid recruitment than too many teams, or perhaps too many teams in the wrong places (e.g. need more in France).

Coaches seem to think 'is Aussie, is good' and hence guys like Purtell are going to SL.

He is going to Bradford though, who are a bit rubbish. The same Bradford of course that keep losing young players because they won't pay them enough...

As for the wrong places, check out any NRL thread about relocation. Then remember England is a lot more tribal than Aus. Teams over here will never move. Teams won't even share a stadium!!

Yeah the Aussie is good attitide runs deep. All we need is England to win the 4 Nations and World cup and then we can finally put that to bed.

Simples... ;-)

Didgi

I wasn't talking relocation, more perhaps using the franchise/license (whatever you want to term it) structure to slowly introduce a more diverse region of teams.

Warrington are not a million miles away either.

In fact all the top teams have top imports and very good British players. Its just the lower teams that have the rubbish.

Missed this bit, beyond your obvious bias I agree, though Warrington's guys don't get me as excited as others they are definitely an example.

I'll tell you who's not an example, Leeds. Webb, Delaney, Ablett at centre, constant mixing in the halves and forwards. Ben Cross. And look how they've gone this season, directly south compared to previous performances.