What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eric Grothe Is No Good!!!!!

strider

Post Whore
fish eel said:
But wasn't atleast one of those when he was shifted to the wing after Burt's injury? A kid, in his first year, switched to an unfamiliar position and gets found out.

He atleast looked half dangerous with the ball in hand.
if you watch closely he and hayne are swapping from centre to wing constantly - wing is not unfamiliar to him

inu is a gun and he will learn ... he likes nothing more than scoring a try - but his defense can be sus at times

fish eel

Immortal
strider said:
if you watch closely he and hayne are swapping from centre to wing constantly - wing is not unfamiliar to him

the try I'm referring to scored was when Inu was defending on the wing, on his own line. Hayne was fullback. Forget who Inu's centre was. Not sure how often those guys swap positions on our line

inu is a gun and he will learn ... he likes nothing more than scoring a try - but his defense can be sus at times

His defence is OK, certainly not the turnstyle he was made out to be by many people on this board. He holds his own.

big boppa eel

Juniors
eelavation said:
don't worry about Eric, your mate, Fui got owned several times tonight...now there's a bloke who isn't as good as what you make out ;-)
I agree Fui very inaffective tonight and last few weeks need to be started of the bench.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Mateo was the centre.

The worst part was we had no creativity until the game was gone then we passed it out to the left where we are dangerous and came up with some good plays. Thw question is why we didn't try that earlier?

The Colonel

Immortal
fish eel said:
But wasn't atleast one of those when he was shifted to the wing after Burt's injury? A kid, in his first year, switched to an unfamiliar position and gets found out.

It isn't an unfamiliar position fish.... has played as much wing as he has centre through the lower grades. Last night his defence was poor - as much as he might cop he is still a damn sight better than that.

He atleast looked half dangerous with the ball in hand.

He did and thankfully displayed some touches that improved a sh*thouse night.

big boppa eel

Juniors
strider said:
yeah eric is heart attack material at times - and yeah he can be a bit slow to the ball at times ... but anyone who wants to throw sh*t at him should get of their lazy fat arses and go out there week in week out and get pounded by 3 100kg+ top level footy players over an over
I agree with u strider its easy to be an armchair critic, but does he have to be so obvious when he is not interested because his attitude sticks out like dogs balls at least try and look pissed off Eric when u make a mistake, instead of water of a ducks back dig deep and find a bit of emotion I think that's what most fans want to see.

V1er

Juniors
perhaps he doesnt show alot of emotion because thats his personality. Im sure he'd be filthy with himself, he just doesnt let it show.

fish eel

Immortal
strider said:
yeahbut anyone who wants to throw sh*t at him should get of their lazy fat arses and go out there week in week out and get pounded by 3 100kg+ top level footy players over an over

lol

so we dont play NRL, so lets not dare criticise these precious little flowers.

Perhaps that should be extended to all walks of life. Dont criticise what you dont do yourself :roll: :lol:

Eric reminds me more of a mixture between Neville Glover,Paul Carige & his dad - only problem is, he plays a different one each night, not as the complete mix every night.

:sarcasm:

^b0ss^

Juniors
I LOVE the big E just he had a shocker..everyone did. Ill be there againest the bunnys i really hope they just put in.

Look forward to the next game now im over it.

strider

Post Whore
fish eel said:
lol

so we dont play NRL, so lets not dare criticise these precious little flowers.

Perhaps that should be extended to all walks of life. Dont criticise what you dont do yourself :roll: :lol:
no - more like - don't lay the boot in until you know the circumstances

Parra Guru

Coach
join the bandwagon said:
ERIC GROTHE IS NO GOOD!

Nor has he ever been any good. Most overated player of all time. Hopfully the RLW poll shows that. He is leaching off Daddy's name. Stick to f**king singing mate, you are not a firstgrade footballer.

God you are a knob. You know, I really used to like Fuifui Moimoi before u came along.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
V1er said:
perhaps he doesnt show alot of emotion because thats his personality. Im sure he'd be filthy with himself, he just doesnt let it show.

yea i would say that's probably the case - he doesn't seem to be the kind of guy to let all his emotions hang out there.

not a bad thing - or a good thing. sometimes the bast players are the really emotional ones, but they can also be the ones to let their emotions cloud their judgement oh my god am i still talking about football or did i switch to soap opera somewhere along the line!!

Hindmarsh's metre's from last night! My God! What a lazy bludger! Drop him! :lol:

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Bigfella said:
That's one thing he categorically is NOT.

From last night:

Jarryd Hayne 123m [16]
Eric Grothe 119m [15]
Fui Fui Moi Moi 116m [16]
Aaron Cannings 103m [12]
Feleti Mateo 96m [11]
Josh Cordoba 90m [11]
Ian Hindmarsh 86m [12]
Krisnan Inu 85m [7]
Chad Robinson 81m [11]
Nathan Hindmarsh 77m [10]
Mark Riddell 53m [7]

Finch made more errors than him too, and Hayne and Inu made the same (and that does not include missed tackles of which both made more).

If Grothe is lazy how does he make more hit ups than all of our props? Obviously they do more tackling on top of that, and play less minutes, but still...

He had a shocker in concentration and with hands ... but a) none of those mistakes cost us a try and b) the perception that he is lazy is unfair.

Lack of concentration is a form of laziness.

Hitting it up after a kick is his JOB. I'm sure he knows this.

Laziness is better measured by the little things that people don't often see. Eric jogs back for kicks, and ambles around the ground at all times except when he's called upon to hit it up or finish a backline movement. At times in defence he doesn't even concentrate.

Perhaps instead of lazy I should have said he's a daydreamer. Either way, he doesn't concentrate for the entire game. Some days he is annoying as hell.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Eric makes all his metres form kick returns and dummy half runs. What people are saying is that the urgency isn't there when a kick goes through. I also think he doesn't drop back early enough.

eels81236

Bench
join the bandwagon said:
ERIC GROTHE IS NO GOOD!

Nor has he ever been any good. Most overated player of all time. Hopfully the RLW poll shows that. He is leaching off Daddy's name. Stick to f**king singing mate, you are not a firstgrade footballer.

I disagree.

I think everyone here would agree that he is highly inconsistent, for reasons only known to Eric. Call me crazy, but I feel that his aggression can lead to his downfall when on a kick return or worse still, in general play.
Eric loves contact with the defence. I've noticed recently that he often approaches the defencive line looking to bump them off with his chest, jink left and/or right and then carry on. At his best he hits the defence, bumps and carries on in a directly forward direction, often resulting in the proverbial "running over the top of". Not propping at the line, however slight it may be, enables the defence to gang tackle him.
Eric initiating contact with his upper body and ensuing struggle enable 2nd and 3rd defenders into the tackle. He hasn't had a chance to lower his centre of gravity and he can easily be pushed back 5 of the 15 metres he just made.
I often feel that the metres gained stats for Eric can be a little deceiving. Due to the fact that he is often gang tackled, he is often pushed onto his back with three or four defenders on him. This results in an extremely slow play the ball. Eric doesnt go through the process of playing the ball at speed at the best of times and when he rushes I shudder as we all know his hands can be suspect at times.

I'm certainly no expert, but these are just my opinions.

Bigfella

Coach
That's a very good point. One of the reasons he is liable to be upturned and lifted is that he commits so heavily on impact in the tackle.

And given the number of hitups he takes, it's one reason I get pissed off when someone calls him lazy or suggests he doesn;t try.

FFS if he is lazy what would that say about our props? He made nearly more hit ups having a shocker (which I agree with BTW) last night than Cordoba has in the last two matches.

Perhaps instead of lazy I should have said he's a daydreamer. Either way, he doesn't concentrate for the entire game. Some days he is annoying as hell.

That's a lot more valid criticism TBH. His attention to detail can be poor and his concentration can be poor. In the past, I agree he clocked off. But for the past two years or more he has really put his body on the libne for us - and given our prop situation we bloody well need him to.

Latest posts