What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eric Grothe,pat Richards Or Luke Rooney?

Eelementary

Post Whore
I rate all 3 very highly. Both Rooney and Richards have won a Grand Final; Rooney and Grothe have played for NSW; Rooney has played for Australia; so has Grothe (technically).

This will sound biased, but I would have Eric Grothe in my team every time. Why?

* He's so strong - he just fends off people at will;

* Because of his size and strength, he's like an extra forward taking those early hit-ups;

* He has incredible speed - watch some of his long-distance tries from 2005 and 2004 to see what I mean;

* He is generally very safe under the high ball.

Ant

Juniors
I thought this was pretty easy.

I would have Grothe any day, there are very few wingers in the comp or world who have the ability to run over 3 players and then run 90 metres to score. I know Grothe has the odd brain explosion, but to be honest which wingers don't. He is the only winger around to go close to Wendall Sailor who was arguably the best winger of the last 15 years or so. Grothe can make things happen for your team. When he runs the ball early in a set, you're on the edge of your seat, because if he busts a few tackles and gets clear that is it. Speed and Power he has it.

Though a mistake by a winger looks much worse than a mistake by a prop. A mistake by a winger usually either costs a try in attack or defence.

I like Pat Richards, but to be honest for a big guy he lacks power, he has decent fend, but thats it. Also he has probably only really played a season of good footy in total. He is a solid finisher.

Rooney, very solid finisher, looks good on the end of a good backline. But has very little to his game, for a big guy he lacks power, has good speed, but not amazing. Looked good when penrith had a top side, probably will again when the rest of the side play well.

So for mine Grothe clearly, probably then Richards.

Parraboy

Juniors
Grothe by a country mile.
Richards was up there too, but I think his unfortunate broken leg did nothing for his confidence when it comes to taking those hard hitups when the pack needs help, was often seen skulking in the background when there was work to be done.
Would have loved to have seen a Grothe, Richards Inglis back three for Australia. DEVASTAING!!!!!

Eelementary said:
I rate all 3 very highly. Both Rooney and Richards have won a Grand Final; Rooney and Grothe have played for NSW; Rooney has played for Australia; so has Grothe (technically).

This will sound biased, but I would have Eric Grothe in my team every time. Why?

* He's so strong - he just fends off people at will;

* Because of his size and strength, he's like an extra forward taking those early hit-ups;

* He has incredible speed - watch some of his long-distance tries from 2005 and 2004 to see what I mean;

* He is generally very safe under the high ball.

are u talking about richards or grothe :lol:

Mary

Juniors
Pat Richards.
Eric Grothe.
Luke Rooney.

Rooney isn't really in the same class as the other 2 blokes though going on the last couple of years.

tiger_nick

Bench
I think Grothe is probably consitantly better then Richards however Richards always played well in big games for us. Tended to be a little lazy at times but generally made up for it. I seriously couldnt split the two. Maybe slightly Richards cause he has a great kicking game and Grothe is a bit one dimention. He never passes it but when he does you realise why. Probably the worst passing game in the history of the NRL

Ronney dosen't even come into the equasion

Eelementary

Post Whore
joel caine number 1 fan said:
are u talking about richards or grothe :lol:

I chose Grothe.

While I think Richards is a champion on and off the field...When we're talking brute strength, we're not talking Pat Richards.

Eelementary said:
I chose Grothe.

While I think Richards is a champion on and off the field...When we're talking brute strength, we're not talking Pat Richards.

what u dont remember richards palming off ty williams for the try of the year in the gf ;-) :lol:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't say he was that bad, but he got a rep jersey when we didn't have a lot of depth on the wing, imo.

What alot of people are saying is that in thier opinion there is a decent enough gap between Grothe/Richards and Rooney.

Dragooner

Bench
Grothe 1st choice by the way.

Leek UK said:
is luke rooney that bad?

He was great a few years ago but he has just lost the talent and skill that made him a rep player but he can pull off the odd great game.

mxlegend99

Referee
Leek UK said:
is luke rooney that bad?
Yes and No.
He was a great winger in 2003 and 2004. And usually performs even better at rep level.

2005 and 2006 he has been well below what he is capable of and would be lucky to be considered average based on his form.

The potential is there. But as a Panthers supporter, i really want him dropped (for a few games atleast... might be the kick in the ass he needs to play first grade). Michael Gordon is an exceptional winger and Luke Lewis is better on the wing then as a centre.

adamkungl

Immortal
Richards. Some parts of Grothe's game need improvement, in particular his turn and chase for kicks seems slow and as someone else mentioned he cant pass to save his life. Rooney hasnt rated since 04.

Bigfella

Coach
Pat Richards is getting enormous support over two Australian and Origin representative players for a bloke who played how much rep footy?

How many solo tries has Eric Grothe scored which no other player in the game, other than his father, would have scored? Plenty. How many quality hit ups has he made off his own line and 22 that very few other wingers would be capable of? Even more.

Now I know Pat Richards could kick a line drop out a long way (based on the two or three games a seaon he played), but how many games does that win you?

And Eric has been one of the most injury prone players of all time, but he has still been far more durable than Patty.

People are bagging Eric's passing game - fine. Is that a high priority in a winger? Was Richards known for his passing game? Did he ever actually do anything other than catch a few bombs and take that pass from Benjii in the grand final?

Pat Richards had all the talent in the world at a number of sports, including league. Sadly we never got to see his best.

But the other two blokes earned their places in SOO and Australian teams.

I agree Rooney may have been lucky at times, and got picked on his first rep season's form later on.

But Grothe is by far the better player of the three.