What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eric grothe

bartman

Immortal
What a load of sh*t. How about halves combinations???

I won't complain if he gets a stint for the maggies but I felt sorry for him last night. It was a touch of brilliance from Lockyer that WON Brisbane the game. And Eric wasn't bunched up in field, as we've been saying, the defensive problem is starting about 3 or 4 in field.

I'm glad (some) people are realising this right hand side problem just isn't an Eric or Reddy/Ben thing... when you are constantly facing 3 on 2 overlaps, you are goingto leak points one way or another (through the hands or the kick over).

There is a problem 3-4 players in, where our forwards are just not lining up or sliding across properly if the opposition put on a smart move, switch of play, or have their fullback chiming in. It's a collective problem, it's not the same one player each time.

What we need is someone (or preferably all of them) getting enthusiastic about ending the defensive set of six, and talking and pointing on the field about who they're marking, and adjusting this as the opposition switches things, so that the overlap is not created.

If teams still score down our right side when there is not already an overlap, then we can criticise Grothe and Reddy or Ben for just straight messing up a containable situation (like Hayne did twice to let in tries).

yy_cheng

Coach
Oh gee I miss Wade. But can't cry over spilt milk.

Ant, I was really pissed at watching Hayne miss a tackle and walk back.

He missed the Friggin tackle, go take responsibility and chase them down.

I agree with whoever said he plays well for Rep games. I hope he doesn't make SOO II and that he has to work for his position

woddy

Juniors
bartman
user_offline.gif

rank5_mod.gif

icon1.gif
Re: eric grothe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parra Guru
What a load of sh*t. How about halves combinations???

I won't complain if he gets a stint for the maggies but I felt sorry for him last night. It was a touch of brilliance from Lockyer that WON Brisbane the game. And Eric wasn't bunched up in field, as we've been saying, the defensive problem is starting about 3 or 4 in field.

I'm glad (some) people are realising this right hand side problem just isn't an Eric or Reddy/Ben thing... when you are constantly facing 3 on 2 overlaps, you are goingto leak points one way or another (through the hands or the kick over).

There is a problem 3-4 players in, where our forwards are just not lining up or sliding across properly if the opposition put on a smart move, switch of play, or have their fullback chiming in. It's a collective problem, it's not the same one player each time.

What we need is someone (or preferably all of them) getting enthusiastic about ending the defensive set of six, and talking and pointing on the field about who they're marking, and adjusting this as the opposition switches things, so that the overlap is not created.

If teams still score down our right side when there is not already an overlap, then we can criticise Grothe and Reddy or Ben for just straight messing up a containable situation (like Hayne did twice to let in tries).
agreed

Bigfella

Coach
Bigfella,
Ive watched the tape twice.Have a look at the try Kemp scored to level the match up. We were on our line and it was a man against man number up. The ball comes to Locky on the left and Grothe rushes up between Kemp and the centre. Locky fires the ball across Grothe into Kemps hands and he falls over the line for a try.
A great ball from locky ? Yeah it was good but not better than I have seen a hundred times on the touch footy field. When the ball sails across Grothe he knows he stuffs up and held his head.
It was a B grade play from someone who should have known better. If it was a winger who made an honest mistake we would say - Ok lets learn from that but we are talking about an Aust rep player on good money.
Kemp is on about 80K Tops at the Broncos.
There is a time when you just have to say "Eric see you later"
He comes up with that sort of play practically every match and at the NRL level you just cant afford to carry a player like that.
Personally I like Eric but IMHO if his name wasnt Eric Grothe he would have been punted long ago. Thats the reason why he played so much reserves at the roosters.
Its time for the coaching staff to make a stand and reward the other players in the team.

Still haven't watched that again but thanks for your post FH.

I'm not saying he was error free otherwise I would have blown up even more.

However there is no way he is singly responsible for the problems down that side, like some of the people who seem to only come on here in hysterics to blame him for a loss then disappear for 4 weeks or so.

The first half in particular was diabolical and I reckon melbourne would have scored 30 points by isolating Finch and Reddy 3-4 in. Part of it is that we have extra men around Finch, and a long ball immediately provides an overlap. The next problem is that Finch and Reddy are very slow laterally.

Eric may have stuffed up on one or two of those occasions. But there were fair dinkum 20 times when they acquired massive overlaps on that side.

It is more than just his problem. The games where Reddy has played centre this has been far worse. But even when Ben Smith came back there were issues. He seemed to drop back behind the line to try to counter the massive overlap which of course caused problems because of his lack of pace.

The main difference when Ben is there that he knows Eric will come in but even if he does, it generally allows Ben time to finish the man off. ben has that extra size and strength that allows him to finish the man off. Joel missed one the other night in the same situation.

A lot of the times Grothe comes in, it is really his only option. If he stayed back on his opposite every time I reckon they score ten tries on his wing, most of them unopposed.

I am not trying to point the finger at Reddy; he is playing out of position and doing his best. he is not being helped inside either.

Personally I would swap Grothe to the left side outside Hayne and move Reddy to the right wing outside Inu.

spiderdan

Bench
like i've said before, eric is eratic. when he is on his game he is awesome, when he isn't he drops the ball a lot, makes stupid offloads when they aren't needed and stuffs up big in defence.

he has a tendency to come charging in off his wing to put a shoulder charge on and it rarely works and ends up creating an overlap (if there isn't already one there) and space for his opposition. he has moments where he moves up off his line and then starts back pedalling as well.

i think he needs to work on his defence heaps. it's probably the part of his game that lets him down more than any other. it's no surprise that opposition teams target his wing more often than anywhere else when we are close to our line.

Fathead

Bench
Still haven't watched that again but thanks for your post FH.

I'm not saying he was error free otherwise I would have blown up even more.

However there is no way he is singly responsible for the problems down that side, like some of the people who seem to only come on here in hysterics to blame him for a loss then disappear for 4 weeks or so.

The first half in particular was diabolical and I reckon melbourne would have scored 30 points by isolating Finch and Reddy 3-4 in. Part of it is that we have extra men around Finch, and a long ball immediately provides an overlap. The next problem is that Finch and Reddy are very slow laterally.

Eric may have stuffed up on one or two of those occasions. But there were fair dinkum 20 times when they acquired massive overlaps on that side.

It is more than just his problem. The games where Reddy has played centre this has been far worse. But even when Ben Smith came back there were issues. He seemed to drop back behind the line to try to counter the massive overlap which of course caused problems because of his lack of pace.

The main difference when Ben is there that he knows Eric will come in but even if he does, it generally allows Ben time to finish the man off. ben has that extra size and strength that allows him to finish the man off. Joel missed one the other night in the same situation.

A lot of the times Grothe comes in, it is really his only option. If he stayed back on his opposite every time I reckon they score ten tries on his wing, most of them unopposed.

I am not trying to point the finger at Reddy; he is playing out of position and doing his best. he is not being helped inside either.

Personally I would swap Grothe to the left side outside Hayne and move Reddy to the right wing outside Inu.

Good work Bigfella. :)

I think we agree that the combination of Reddy and Grothe is just not working.

MRJUCY

Juniors
The frustrating is great in attack no doubt & he is a actually good defender in that he is good under the high ball these days & is a good chaser & tackler but he drifts in to the centre every time & leaves a massive gap for the other side to run in, everyone else can see it why cant he seem to.

yy_cheng

Coach
Stick him in wenty playing 2nd rower. Run ala Fuifui.

Then let him work out how to defend in the middle of the field.

Then bring him back after 3-4 weeks off the bench in a fui style attack